Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-09-2019

Default New Antenna and TV

I'm finally getting to this. I bought a "smart" TV a couple years ago to replace the old original in the overhead. I replaced the old original antenna about two years ago, but it turned out to be as bad if not worse than the old one. I finally bought a Winegard Rayzar and got it installed yesterday and started gutting all of the old equipment TV, VCR etc. While in the overhead getting that done I saw these two items. This one is an amplifier I believe
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amplifier.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	62891

This is what I believe to be part of the old antenna rotator system.

Name:	Antenna Rotator .jpg
Views:	57
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	62892

I have always been under the impression that the more connections you have the weaker the signal will be. So I am asking those of you that know more about this stuff than I do, get rid of this stuff or leave it?

I also have the controller that was original

Name:	Control.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	62893 Click image for larger version

Name:	Control2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	62894

Again, more connections and from what I understand even worse where there are no connections the signal exits into thin air. I have never used some of the connections on this control, VCR2, Game, Not Used, all of which would dissipate the signal into thin air, if I understand it correctly. So do I get rid of the box and go with something better? Is there something better? Thanks in advance for any help on this. Oh, one more thing, how the h**l does the TV come out? I have the front trim off but for the life of me, I can't see how or where it is attached.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-09-2019

Jim, I just pulled the old TV out and replaced it with a 32in smart TV. The old TV was very difficult to pull out. It had a bracket that was screwed in from behind, needed to reach up past front window blind. Impossible but do-able. It also had a retaining ring of 3/4 in plywood that was screwed into the top corners of cabinet. I ended up destroying that wood to get it out. Not part of cabinets luckily. TV was really heavy, it needed to be secure bouncing over my head as you drove down the road.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 07-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfins57 View Post
Jim, I just pulled the old TV out and replaced it with a 32in smart TV. The old TV was very difficult to pull out. It had a bracket that was screwed in from behind, needed to reach up past front window blind. Impossible but do-able. It also had a retaining ring of 3/4 in plywood that was screwed into the top corners of cabinet. I ended up destroying that wood to get it out. Not part of cabinets luckily. TV was really heavy, it needed to be secure bouncing over my head as you drove down the road.
Thanks Dave, that is just about what I thought. I can see the wood case around the old TV and I shined a light around the edge and thought I saw what looked like a bracket in the lower left rear of the TV, but couldn't see any others because it was too tight. I have a scope I will put to good use to see what all is back there. I'm glad I have a sawzall

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 07-09-2019

Hi Jim, I did this a few years ago, and got rid of most of that stuff. The new tv’s have so many inputs and outputs that I didn’t see a need for it. If I remember correctly, I left one splitter in for the bedroom tv. You’re right, less connections, simpler. Which razar did you get?
F110660

Last edited by Trees; 07-09-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 07-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees View Post
Hi Jim, I did this a few years ago, and got rid of most of that stuff. The new tv’s have so many inputs and outputs that I didn’t see a need for it. If I remember correctly, I left one splitter in for the bedroom tv. You’re right, less connections, simpler. Which razar did you get?
https://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

Tim, thanks for the info. I figured as much. The link is the one that I bought but I got it on sale for about $100 less. I don't know how well it works yet, because of gutting everything else, but it has gotten good reviews here on WOG and other places.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 07-09-2019
Forum owner

the old TV's are mounted inside a wood box,that box has screws going into the sides from the outside,remove those screws and the whole box and tv comes out together,no saw required.
Heavy though,so be careful.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-09-2019

Jim, I simplified my set up and untangled the wire mess. I am still using the old cable switches to manually switch between the original antenna and the cable.
The cable is connected direct to the Samsung TV that had ROKU and all the digital stuff.I then connected that to my Mobley for streaming. The hardest part was the sound which with an adapter, I was able to connect to bus sound system.
Rear TV is also connected to switched cable connect from front, with a DVD player and I have an apple Tv connected to that. I still need to figure out the sound connection to Bus on the rear TV. Currently only has the tin box TV speakers in rear.
Amazing how many channels I pick up with the old elevator antenna.

On my FC we got a digital switch
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Remote...7459218&psc=1o

add multiple sources were there were none. This worked great for a 'no tech' 77FC.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 07-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
the old TV's are mounted inside a wood box,that box has screws going into the sides from the outside,remove those screws and the whole box and tv comes out together,no saw required.
Heavy though,so be careful.
Thanks Randy, I was wondering about that. I searched for screws but I think I have some hidden under a block mounted on the sides for shelves in the neighboring cabinet. I just need to dig deeper.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 07-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfins57 View Post
Jim, I simplified my set up and untangled the wire mess. I am still using the old cable switches to manually switch between the original antenna and the cable.
The cable is connected direct to the Samsung TV that had ROKU and all the digital stuff.I then connected that to my Mobley for streaming. The hardest part was the sound which with an adapter, I was able to connect to bus sound system.
Rear TV is also connected to switched cable connect from front, with a DVD player and I have an apple Tv connected to that. I still need to figure out the sound connection to Bus on the rear TV. Currently only has the tin box TV speakers in rear.
Amazing how many channels I pick up with the old elevator antenna.

On my FC we got a digital switch
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Remote...7459218&psc=1o

add multiple sources were there were none. This worked great for a 'no tech' 77FC.
Thanks again Dave. Good info.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 07-09-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Thanks Randy, I was wondering about that. I searched for screws but I think I have some hidden under a block mounted on the sides for shelves in the neighboring cabinet. I just need to dig deeper.
Dig in,the screws are there! from the sides,as you say.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com