Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-24-2009

Default 20 amp hookup

Dumb question of the day:
ALL my batteries were run down this morning. Shore line plugged into 20A 110V oultet. Neither battery charger was getting juice from coach outlet they were plugged into. Ran ext. cord from another house 20A circuit to directly to chargers and both fired right up. No breakers tripped in coach or house. Overhead door gauge says one leg has 120 coming in. Why would the chargers not be getting power from the shore line in this scenario?

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Sounds like both chargers are on the other leg. I'm assuming your voltage gauges shows only one leg hot? I would think that the 120v 20a service would tie these legs together but here it seems they do not. Did you use the standard 50 to 30 to 20 amp adapters?
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 08-24-2009

Elliott,

Do you have AC indicators on your inverter panels? Do they indicate you've got AC? My chargers were set up to require the inverters to be turned on to work. When you turn the inverter on, what does the panel tell you? Recheck (cycle the breakers off and on) the breakers for the inverters. I have another breaker that also seems to turn off the main AC, but I can't remember how it's labeled. It shows by not having voltage on the leg meters.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-24-2009

Default Check for a burned plug

Elliot: Double check your breaker...turn completely off on then back to on a couple of times. Did you check that duplex outlet with a test light. I've had a thrown breaker on that circuit two times on my coach in a 3 year period,

Oh, and this suggestion is from Mr J Finn, our web czar...the duplex outlet where your chargers are plugged in, could be burned to a crisp. That is something which I need to check on mine also.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/85087586

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshreds View Post
Dumb question of the day:
ALL my batteries were run down this morning. Shore line plugged into 20A 110V oultet. Neither battery charger was getting juice from coach outlet they were plugged into. Ran ext. cord from another house 20A circuit to directly to chargers and both fired right up. No breakers tripped in coach or house. Overhead door gauge says one leg has 120 coming in. Why would the chargers not be getting power from the shore line in this scenario?
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-24-2009

Mike:
That's what I suspect; that the chargers are on the other leg. Yes I did use the std adapters. I wonder why that leg would not be tied in? What happens if I run 30Amp?

John:
The inverter was on and yesterday showing 12+ volts then. Today it shows 10 volts. I think it was trying to run the chargers and pulled the batteries down. I have the inverter off now while the charges build up the batteries.

Dick:
As soon as I get my meter I will check that duplex. None of the plugs or outlets show any burn signs. There were some breakers off in the panel marked "immersion heater"; figured they were off for a reason. I will check the other breakers again by resetting them as they appeared to be OK but I will do as John suggests.

Thanks guys! Will let you know what I find.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009

BTW, not sure if this is related, but on the way home from PO, I noticed a good charge rate on ALT#1 , but very little when I moved switch to #2 Alt reading????

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009

Elliot, have you tried starting the generator or is that battery too low also. If the generator starts, see if you get 120 volts on both legs and then get your chargers running off your on-board generator.

Keep talking to us and someone will come up with the correct answer. Even when a guy thinks he's 'up to speed' there's always another switch that needs to be toggled or something gets accidently turned off.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-24-2009

Elliott,

It sounds like yours is slightly different than mine. I've got integral chargers in my inverters, whereas your chargers are separate. So I wound definitely turn the inverters off whenever you're parked and NOT staying in her. I also turn off the A/T switch on the dash and the Electronics Master switch in the overhead compartment. This will reduce alot of the phantom power usage while parked. That all being said, it sounds like your chargers aren't working like they should. They SHOULD put out more than enough to keep things charged when the inverters are running, assuming you're not trying to run the A/C's, the microwave, etc. If most eveything is off, the chargers should keep up with things. I think I've got 130A chargers (one in each inverter) and you should have something close. From the VB site, you've got one inverter, a 2500 unit. I don't know about your chargers. What do you have?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-24-2009

John & Dick:

Checked and reset all breakers. No change. Only one leg shows 110. No juice at duplex the chargers plug into. Inverter remote panel has an ac in light that is not lit. Chargers plugged into ext cord got batteries up enough to start gen. both leg gauges show 110 now and the onboard charger duplex is hot. I'm worried that if I plug into anything other than 50Amp I will always have one leg down. Is this normal?

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Now we're back to how you're reducing your 50a to 20a. When you plug the 50a cable into the 30a adapter that is when both legs are shorted together so the 120v feeds both legs. If you are using a 30a adapter I'd ohm it out as it sound bad.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]