Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-27-2011

Default LPG Furnace

Well, this week just keeps getting weirder! I have spent most of the week messing around with this flaky Primus system. I have decided to just chuck it and switch to something better while we are in Florida next month.

In the meantime, I was thinking we could just use the LPG furnaces that are described in my Blue Book. I have spent all morning trying to locate these alleged furnaces with no luck. Is it possible that they just don't exist in my coach?!?!

What will it be next???
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65
http://kenshar.blogspot.com

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 10-27-2011

Ken,

I wouldn't give up on the Primus just yet. They have some bugs, but it seems most of them, once straightened out, work very well. Stephen's got most of the parts you need. One of the Primus guys will be along to help you.

I don't know about the LPG furnaces. You should have electric toe kick heaters, certainly. They may be enough for Flo.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-27-2011

Thanks John,
Right now we are just trying to get one of them working to hold us until we get to Fl. We will be migrating through Mo. and Ar. till the last part of Nov. or the first part of Dec. Several of our stops were planned to be dry camping and we were hoping to not be running the generator 10 or 12 hours per day.

I am going to take one last stab at building one good unit from the two. Right now it looks as if one unit has a bad board and the other a bad solenoid. I don't mind buying the parts from Stephen, I just don't see how I could get them here by tomorrow!

I take full blame for this...I should have checked this much sooner than the week before we leave. We can have plenty of hot water by using the generator, but there will be some cold days and nights!

I would be amiss if I didn't mention that my wonderful wife has said she will just "wrap up" if that is what it takes! Am I a lucky guy or what!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Ken,

I wouldn't give up on the Primus just yet. They have some bugs, but it seems most of them, once straightened out, work very well. Stephen's got most of the parts you need. One of the Primus guys will be along to help you.

I don't know about the LPG furnaces. You should have electric toe kick heaters, certainly. They may be enough for Flo.
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 10-27-2011

Ken,

You MAY be lucky, but I'd be asking Sharlene just WHAT (or who!) she plans on wrapping up!!

Stephen can overnight parts to you I'm sure. I'd call him. You might get both working!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-27-2011

[QUOTE=w4swk;133469]
I was thinking we could just use the LPG furnaces that are described in my Blue Book. I have spent all morning trying to locate these alleged furnaces with no luck. Is it possible that they just don't exist in my coach?!?!

[QUOTE]

If you have Suburban Furnaces you should have some Suburban Vents on the street side of the Coach. In my coach one unit is located under the sofa, one under the dinett bench nearest the fridge and another at the base of the closet in the bedroom. The bedroom also has a duct with a booster fan and a seperate thermostat in the bathroom. If you locate them I'd be glad to walk you through getting them going. We liked to froze coming back from Florida when we were bringing our newly purchased bus home for the first time.
Old 10-27-2011

Hi J.

The closest we can find to what you have is that one vent in the bedroom under those two "closet" spaces. I have searched and cannot put my hand on a single furnace. I am thinking this was an "all electric" model!
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65

Old 10-27-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
Hi J.

The closest we can find to what you have is that one vent in the bedroom under those two "closet" spaces. I have searched and cannot put my hand on a single furnace. I am thinking this was an "all electric" model!
I am thinking you have Primus heat instead of Suburban Propane furnaces, not both.
Old 10-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
I am thinking you have Primus heat instead of Suburban Propane furnaces, not both.
That is what I would anticipate as well. Looked at some photos of the bus and saw no vents,
Old 10-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4swk View Post
Hi J.

As others have posted, if you have the dual Boiler Primus System you should'nt have any surburbans. Both the Primus and the Suburban are Propane systems. In our SPs, I'm told one Primus is enough to keep you warm. Good luck. We should be back in Northwest Arkansas in 2 weeks or sooner.

Just went through Primus repair while at RATS and the info is fresh.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-27-2011
Resident Rookie

Default Primus system

Yes, you are lucky!!

Ken,I have a notebook full of Primus manuals and reference materials including a repair process checklist I made up. I am going to go thru mine ONE MORE TIME and if it doesn't work this time (without the $$$$ control board replacement), I'm going to a Webasto diesel system. You are welcome to come look at it or copy it...I will be home all this week.

It is a nice system when it works....mine just has not been "user friendly" and the last rebuilt board was over $500.00. I am willing to buy one more board and the new pumps and replace the relays, but then it will be a diesel boiler!

Have a good trip!!
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205