Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2010
Gardner

The problem with the fancy tips is they get in the way of the exhaust stack slipping over the pipe. Anyway, this picture was taken before the hanger and clamp were installed. If you look close you will see that the exhaust pipe is connected up backwards because the Proheat outlet fits inside a straight 1 1/2 inch pipe and not the expanded end.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-11-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
John,
It would make sense to join the threads. Is there a way to change the original title to make it more appropriate?
The title has been updated to better identify the subject; Diesel Fired Heaters.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 01-11-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
John,
It would make sense to join the threads. Is there a way to change the original title to make it more appropriate?

DONE!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-30-2010
Gardner

Today, around 20 degrees, I went up to the bird to do a little maintenance, etc. I fired up the Proheat and went to the local dinner for a burger and coffee. About 45 minutes later I returned to a slightly less cool coach. After another hour or so things started to warm up to a comfortable level. I wondered why it was taking so long, and then discovered the rear (bedroom) heater fan was turned off. I was sitting in the dinette with the computer wondering why I felt cold air. After turning on the rear heater fan things took a warmer turn.

Shortly after that I cranked up the 3208 to build air pressure to open the generator drawer and check the gennie oil level. It is such a leaker that I get nervous if I haven't checked it recently. I added a quart and fired it up. It took a few tries with glow plug heating periods to get it started.

So I puttered around doing things here and there till the interior was fully up to temp. Now the heater fans would cycle on and off under thermostat control. What I noticed was that the fans were on high. The air seemed to cool noticeably before the fans came back on. I thought it would be nice of the fans switched to low speed when the temperature setting was reached to maintain the temperature rather than turn on and off as the temperature dropped and rose.

I thought about a dual thermostat system that ran the high fan speed until the temperature was 2 or 3 degrees below the desired point, and then run the low fan speed until the temperature was reached. Then when the temperature dropped 2 degrees or so the low speed fan would engage and maintain a more even temperature.

It would be real nice if a system with a variable fan speed was available to maintain a steady temperature. Something else to consider looking into in retirement.
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 01-31-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2010

Gardner,

Last night it was six degrees, when you got to your coach today everything (ie:furniture, cabinets, etc..) was very cold. Even though your proheat got the air temperature up, all the fixtures were still very cold, making it feel very cold when the fans kicked off. I think if you had stayed in the coach long enough for everything to heat up (might be as long as a day) you wouldn't have noticed what your trying to fix at all. Just my opinion.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 01-31-2010
Gardner

Tom,
You are correct about the cold. When I got there it was pretty much a big, steel iceberg. After an hour and a half or so I fired up the 3208 to build air pressure to open the gennie draw to check/replenish the oil (it is a real leaker) . The 3208 started like it does on a warm summer day, instantly. No clouds of white smoke or anything. It just settled into a nice smooth idle. The Proheat does its thing very well.

The generator, on the other hand, was a bear to start.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-31-2010
Administrator

Yet another great Gardner project
Old 01-31-2010
Gardner

Bill,
It's not done yet! I picked up a couple of Sporlans to add a loop for the holding tanks. I want to be ready for the trip to Q next year.

The ongoing issue is having enough battery power to run all this stuff. 3 blower fans, the Aux pump, the Sporlan(s), the Proheat, and other normal Bird loads. I haven't determined all the loads yet, but previously we were lucky to have 11 to 11.4 volts in the morning. I will replace the three 12 volt batteries with 4 6-volt ones, But I think I will need an additional two 6 volters stuffed somewhere to carry the new load.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-31-2010

Ya gotta lose them original convector fans and retro fit pancake fans. Little air flow through the heater cores as constructed. My toter home has convectors provided by Proheat, the 16' lounge is toasty warm in 15 minutes from dead cold.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-31-2010
Gardner

Mike,
You've said that before. I just don't know what specs I should be using to select a pancake fan. I don't want to end up with a noisy whining fan. I will look into the Proheat unit for a part number and specs for a fan, maybe two. I could run one for low volume and two for high.
Ridgewood, New Jersey