Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2010

Did you notice anything, that would have given you an indication that a wheel bearing may be going bad? Sometimes you'll notice a vibration under a load, although that could also indicate other problems, like a bad carrier bearing, or a worn out "U" joint, or a tire not properly balanced.
As far as brake shoes go... I always use the "Quick Q combination lining, which is one hard block, and one soft, on each shoe. City trucks and busses use only hard linings, beacuse they're stopping so much, and they won't wear as fast. They also squeel, and when you do change them, plan on new drums too, a they wear those out faster.. Soft linings wear faster, but are easier on the drums.
When I pull wheels, and the brakes look fine, I always install new hardware.
Old 02-16-2010
Gardner

[QUOTE=When I pull wheels, and the brakes look fine, I always install new hardware.[/QUOTE]

Jim,
What do you mean by 'new hardware'?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-16-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
You are exactly correct about the frequency of use. If a bus is run every 45 to 60 days and everything is brought up to temperature, then that bus will be in good shape even though it has low milleage. I was thinking of a bus that was run the first few years and just sat without being moved the next 5 years. If they sit without being moved for a long period of time, then they probably will be a maintance night mare for a year or three.

With this repair, I should be nearing the point where all moving parts have been replaced. My 94 bird spoiled me. In 5 years, it only went to the shop twice. However, It did have some minor repairs(water pumps, transfer switch,etc.) that I was able to do myself.

Perhaps one reason my 94 did not give me trouble was because I had a bus company service it and they caught a lot of potential problems. Lynx coaches, owned by Carl Moberg, took care of my 94 and I am going to call them when I get to Titusville and have them give my coach a DOT inspection.
I remember Carl saying, "Don't let a truck mechanic work on your coach." Before I bought the 2000 LXI, I sold my place in Titusville and for convenience, I have been having nearby truck mechanics and RV repair places work on it. Hello Carl.

Richard.
Its Karl Moberg,and his company is Travel Lynx,hes the guy that bought the Wanderlodge factory.
This is for all of you that don't know Karl.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-16-2010
Forum owner

Jim,i do the same thing with the brake shoes,one hard,one oft.
Hardware is the springs and other wear items in the brake drum.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-16-2010
Timberlake Products Group

I think he means springs, clips and cams etc. As a positive note, Brake parts are amazingly cheap for what you get. I believe I purchased all of my brake parts from Fleet Pride. The huge drums new were only about $155.00 each if I recollect?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-16-2010
Gardner

Thanks all,
I guess my mind is on cars, where brakes don't last that long. The coaches probably do wear the 'hardware' faster than the shoes and drums.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-16-2010

I'm not so sure they wear out faster, but rather rust from lack of use, or excessive heat. If they're rusty, they can break, and then you have to do the job over, for a lousy few bucks. I oil every spring on the bus that I can, including the levelers, to keep the rust at a minimum.
I also use never seize on the rollers, and the backing plates, where the shoes drag, and I make sure everything is clean. oil on the brake linings will contaminate them, and if I do get any oil on them, I sprinkle on some baby powder to absorb the oil.
Old 02-16-2010

Wink

My coach is back and supposedly fixed.

The mechanic said my brake pads had insignificant wear, so he just cleaned them. He showed me a new set and mine looked just like them. The bearings on the drivers side were in great shape, but we did replace the seal. We drained, cleaned, and put new gear lube in the rear axle, differential or what ever that thing the drive shaft connects to. I drove it home and it seemed alright, but heck it seemed alright taking it to the mechanic. He also checked everything else related to the drive train and found nothing.

As the bearing went bad, I did not feel any vibration. The mechanic said the bearings had probably just went bad, because there wasn't any evidence of high heat or any other damage. His comment was that if I had of tried another trip to Arizona on that bearing, I would not have made it.

Thanks for the help and advice. I am now back on the road.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 02-16-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Richard.
Its Karl Moberg,and his company is Travel Lynx,hes the guy that bought the Wanderlodge factory.
This is for all of you that don't know Karl.

Is Mr Karl Moberg settled into his new digs yet?
Old 02-16-2010

just bought new brake for the bmc
drums $73.00 x 2
shoes 18.00 x 4
Wheel seals 33.00 x 2
springs and things 7.00 X 2

had the rear end apart in an hour both sides
the mechanic say 1 1/2 to put it back together including cleaning and torque the wheels

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact