Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2009

Default 2004 cummins isl oil pressure ?

my 2004 m380 with 400 hp cummins isl only has just over 75 psi (1/2 way up dash gauge) on tick over when cold & this drops right down when hot, when you rev its does not over 90
coach has been standing for a some, has only done 2500 mile & @ a guess is still on its original oil.
have now just changed oil & filter- used genuine cummins filter & quality 15-40 castrol diesel oil, but pressure is no higher
Is this ok ? just seems a little low to me
pressure gauge in engine bay reads the same as dash gauge

cheers andy

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-08-2009

Andy,
You only need about 10psi per 1000 rpm, so you are fine with your current set up. The oil thins out when hot, resulting in the drop you're experiencing as the engine heats up. This is normal.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-08-2009
freight train

Andy;
I dont have a cummings eng but that oil presure sounds good, I have an 8v92 and after I charge oil I run around 50 plus 6s run higher oil presure, maybe one of the m380 guys can jump and nail that for us, I would like to know all so.
Do you or can you get a GPS that tells you the roads not to go on? I all ways thought that the roads were really narrow I would think you could not be looking at he country side to much.
Have fun. Bob
gregg@tfon.com
Port Angeles, WA
Old 06-08-2009

thanks john, realise it drops down load when warm, but wonder why they give you a 150 psi gauge when you will never see over 90- I just like to the gauge go up to max when you first start em up !

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-08-2009

yes bob roads can be real narrow sometimes, main A roads & motorways are fine but B roads can be quite entertaining
But i'm use to driving a 6 car transporter so the rv's a bit easier even with a race car trailer on it

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-08-2009

just found this
http://www.diesel-service-parts.com/cummins-isl.html

I'm learning

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-08-2009

Default Cummins 400ISL oil pressure

Rob:

The oil pressure indicator in the M380 is no an exact reading of the oil pressure. It is an electronic extrapolation tha may or may not even be close the the actual oil pressure. I was concerned about looking at oil pressure readings when I first got my M380 and BlueBird did something (i wish I knew what) to make it indicate higher. Their explanation was that the engine has safety sensors that will shut the engine down if the oil pressure gets too low. Maybe so, but I would rather really know what the oil pressure is.

Glad to see you back on. Did you see the link to the M380 User CD?

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 06-08-2009

cheers marv you make me feel alot better now if your's read the same but there was nothing wrong with it.

the 380 user cd ? I've never stopped reading it its been a god-send to me- since I bought the bird ive spent every spare minute on it -working everything out/servicing etc but still stuck with the levellers - think i'll contact big foot

We are planning a trip with another Rv to europe in july so want this 100% before we go.

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 05-16-2010

Default M380 Cummins ISL oil capacity ???

This may not be the right thread for this message, but it is related.

I personally changed the oil and filter for the first time yesterday. I refilled the crankcase with 25 quarts as specified in the M380 owner's manual which matches the Cummins manual spec for capacity for the standard oil pan with block stiffener.

After a short warm up to check for leaks followed by a cool down, I checked the fluid level and found it to be at the ADD ONE GALLON mark! I've heard that some of the other BB engine dip sticks were grossly inaccurate.

Has any other M380 owner experienced this problem? What is the consensus, use this level as the REAL FULL MARK or dump another gallon into the crank case.

FYI - during the return leg from my last trip to Birds on the Beach, I checked the level and noted it was a gallon low (not surprising based on yesterday's discovery), and topped it up. I could definitely see a 10 to 20 psi increase on the dash oil pressure gage when running at low revs. I didn't notice any oil on the toad when I got home so doesn't seem to be blowing out the breather.
Old 05-16-2010

Default Cummins M11 450 oil pressure

I have the M11 ?Cummins in my 99LX. I also was concerned about the low oil pressure after owning two Detroits before. My- engine cold starts with about 40psi and very rapidly drops to about 33psi. After warm up and on the road it reads about 29psi and then idles about 9 or 10 psi. I called Cummins and the talked to the tech rep at the indianapolis plant, he said " The numbers I gave him were really good and that I had a good engine" I then asked him about putting Rotella-T-SYNTHETIC in the engine and he said," the sooner I got it in the better it would be" I have since put about three thousand miles on the coach using the synthetic oil and the psi numbers remain the same. Iam satisfied.,