Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-16-2010

Default major project

Well here is my first post!

After a very hot trip to Texas a couple weeks back i have decided to rebuild the entire cooling system on my 86 pt38. just dropped off radiator, tranney and oil cooler and got the good news right away that the radiator needs a new core "fin wrought". I will be replacing all hydraulic and cooling lines ,thermostats, water pump, rebuilding fan motor "leaks bad" . thought i might re insulate as well since most is missing now. Have a left exhaust manifold leak to fix too.

Well if I'm missing anything let me know, might as well get done while bus is in parts all over my shop floor. and yes lots pics are being taken waiting on help as I'm not real good on a computer will be posting before during and after photos.

first of probably 1 million questions how much of the insulation from dupree products will i need or is there something better.

john

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA

Last edited by john wheeler; 08-16-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john wheeler View Post

After a very hot trip to Texas a couple weeks back i have decided to rebuild the entire cooling system on my 86 pt38. just dropped off radiator, tranney and oil cooler and got the good news right away that the radiator needs a new core "fin wrought". I will be replacing all hydraulic and cooling lines ,thermostats, water pump, rebuilding fan motor "leaks bad" . thought i might re insulate as well since most is missing now. Have a left exhaust manifold leak to fix too.

Well if I'm missing anything let me know, might as well get done while bus is in parts all over my shop floor. and yes lots pics are being taken waiting on help as I'm not real good on a computer will be posting before during and after photos.

first of probably 1 million questions how much of the insulation from dupree products will i need or is there something better.

john
John when my driver side exhaust manifold developed a leak Randy, Glen and I did both sides figuring if one is bad the other can't be far behind. Insulation is available from Stephen Birtles at Dupree Products. Finally you need to configure a signature block.
Old 08-16-2010

John, you're doing it right. pay now, or pay later. It's a lot less if you pay now. You'll have a lot more confidence in your bus too, I think, and you won't have to worry about overheating as much, which is a death sentence with those engines.
Old 08-16-2010

What is the $ estimate on the rad rebuild? I may be dong the same this month.

Quote:

john
Old 08-16-2010
Administrator

Welcome John Wheeler,

Good to hear from you and we like pictures,
The cooling system is a must do project. Keep us informed.
Someone is on the Forum almost always and the answers and info. you may need is available.
Old 08-16-2010

First i will work on signature block "once i figure out what that is" again I'm very slow on a computer please understand while i learn. Waiting on call back Monday for core cost. From what i have seen on this forum i think it would just as easy to remove batteries and starter and probably the muffler too to access the compressor coolant lines, so good call might as well do that manifold too.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA
Old 08-16-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
First i will work on signature block "once i figure out what that is" again I'm very slow on a computer please understand while i learn. Waiting on call back Monday for core cost. From what i have seen on this forum i think it would just as easy to remove batteries and starter and probably the muffler too to access the compressor coolant lines, so good call might as well do that manifold too.
Absolutely John....do those compressor lines. They have been trouble for several coaches with catastrophic results in some cases. Here is a link on how to create a permanent signature block.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=6401
Old 08-16-2010

Rob

thank you for the help think i got it feel like the cave man that just made fire!

should i contact Stephen on how much of that insulation i will need.

John wheeler 86 pt38
Hanford,CA
Old 08-16-2010
Banned

Don't rebuild the hydraulic fan motor. It will only last for a short time. Buy a new motor and be done with it. Replacing even the seal alone is not the answer. There will be a groove that will not reseal with a change out. It is a beast to replace later.
I went through this with my 86PT40.
Old 08-16-2010

There is/was a place in Wisconsin, where I was buying radiator cores from. It's been a while since I have used them, but I was paying around $375.00 for a Ford LN9000, and fast shipping. I'll see if I can dig it up.