Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2010
cmillsap

Default National Interstate Insurance Roadside Assistance Program

When I renewed my insurance policy with National Interstate, I added their Star Roadside Assistance Package. It, supposedly, will provide unlimited towing & winching, tire assistance, delivery of emergency fluids, jump starts, lockouts and an array of concierge and travel services. The coverage is for the policy holder, spouse and dependant children under the age of 25 and covers the coach and all other family vehicles owned, rented or borrowed. The cost is only $65 annually.

We have always had AAA emergency roadside service extended to cover the coach along with the other family vehicles. It’s time to renew the coverage and I would now like to drop the extended coverage on the coach but I am unsure of the NI Star service capability. AAA service has always been reliable and I have not had the occasion to use the new National Interstate Star Program which brings me to the following questions;

Do any other forum members use the National Interstate Star Roadside Assistance Program? If so, have you ever needed to use it and how would you rate their service?

Thanks for any info on the subject,

Chuck
Old 08-31-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
When I renewed my insurance policy with National Interstate, I added their Star Roadside Assistance Package. It, supposedly, will provide unlimited towing & winching, tire assistance, delivery of emergency fluids, jump starts, lockouts and an array of concierge and travel services. The coverage is for the policy holder, spouse and dependant children under the age of 25 and covers the coach and all other family vehicles owned, rented or borrowed. The cost is only $65 annually.

We have always had AAA emergency roadside service extended to cover the coach along with the other family vehicles. It’s time to renew the coverage and I would now like to drop the extended coverage on the coach but I am unsure of the NI Star service capability. AAA service has always been reliable and I have not had the occasion to use the new National Interstate Star Program which brings me to the following questions;

Do any other forum members use the National Interstate Star Roadside Assistance Program? If so, have you ever needed to use it and how would you rate their service?

Thanks for any info on the subject,

Chuck
Hi Chuck. I've not heard of National Interstate but have heard countless sad tales about AAA when it comes to towing a big rig. I've even heard someone once say that AAA didn't even have coverage in a certain area. If my memory serves me it was a local in northern California. The absolute best comments I read and re-read over the years come from those folks using Good Sam and Coachnet.
Old 08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Hi Chuck. I've not heard of National Interstate but have heard countless sad tales about AAA when it comes to towing a big rig. I've even heard someone once say that AAA didn't even have coverage in a certain area. If my memory serves me it was a local in northern California. The absolute best comments I read and re-read over the years come from those folks using Good Sam and Coachnet.
i used good sam this spring (blown tire) great service. mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-31-2010

Chuck,

I use National Interstate for my coach insurance but not for roadside assistance/towing insurance. I use CoachNet fot that. The reason being that I don't want the insurance company to raise my rate for a "towing claim" or a flat tire. I have heard that others had their main insurance rate increase after a roadside service claim. Not saying that NI would do that but others have.
Old 08-31-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Rob,

It appears NI program is identical to Coach-Net, I wonder if they sub it out to coach-Net to provide the service??

I think AAA is more oriented toward the local automobile roadside assistance business. Fortunately, in the 15 years I've used it, I never had to experience their service on the coach. My two sons made good use of it tho on their cars. Sure saved me a lot of time and money carting them gasoline and giving them jump starts.

Chuck
Old 08-31-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Chuck,

I use National Interstate for my coach insurance but not for roadside assistance/towing insurance. I use CoachNet fot that. The reason being that I don't want the insurance company to raise my rate for a "towing claim" or a flat tire. I have heard that others had their main insurance rate increase after a roadside service claim. Not saying that NI would do that but others have.
Rich,

Sounds like a pretty good reason not to have roadside service with your insurance company.

Chuck
Old 08-31-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
Rob,

It appears NI program is identical to Coach-Net,
Chuck
Chuck I'm assuming by identical you mean their claim of what they'll cover is the same as Coachnet. I hope so and I hope they'll follow through for you if you choose them. Personally I would not take the chance. GS and Coachnet are a proven thing.
Old 08-31-2010

I use Progressive's roadside assistance, and can say, without a doubt, it is absolutely TOP NOTCH. For the pennies it costs me, I can't even place a value on it. I had a tire blowout a couple of years ago, and they took care of me, no questions asked.

I had a valve stem break off my inner rear earlier this year, and they went above and beyond to make sure my coach was taken care of. They sent out a mobile truck repair company to remove the rims, replace the valve stem, and put everything back together while I was at a campground. I was extremely impressed.

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 08-31-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGloverii View Post
I use Progressive's roadside assistance, and can say, without a doubt, it is absolutely TOP NOTCH. For the pennies it costs me, I can't even place a value on it. I had a tire blowout a couple of years ago, and they took care of me, no questions asked.

I had a valve stem break off my inner rear earlier this year, and they went above and beyond to make sure my coach was taken care of. They sent out a mobile truck repair company to remove the rims, replace the valve stem, and put everything back together while I was at a campground. I was extremely impressed.

-Robert
Robert good to know. When every major insurance company that I called would not insure me after my fire last year Progressive did. Let's hear from others who have used their roadside service.
Old 08-31-2010
Administrator

Good info Robert,

I have Progressive and never considered the tow option.