Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-14-2010

Default Water Pump

On our last trip I found there was a slow leak from one of my water pumps. Well I just turned the sytem to the secondary pump and shut the water off to the leaking pump and things are working fine. Now that it is cold I want to replace the pump so I can have the backup just in case. Should I go with the same pump as the orginal (gotta go out and look again to remeber what is there) or is there a better new pump out there that will relatively simply hook into the old system ? I am trying not to have to modify much as my skills are limited.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010

I am in the same situation and I purchased a higher-end Shurflo water pump to replace the one that isn't working. It puts out almost 6 gallons per minute and is supposed to have a variable speed motor that adjusts the flow to the amount of water being used, so the pump doesn't cylce on and off and has a more even flow. It was around $170 at Amazon. I can look up the model number if you want.

It looks to me like it will be a simple replacement--as soon as I have the time and the weather warms up a little.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-14-2010
Gardner

I purchased a less expensive 3.5 gpm Sureflow variable rate pump. What I found is that it is slow to respond, so when flushing the toilet I have to wait for it to ramp up, same at the kitchen faucet. I'm not impressed
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrams View Post
On our last trip I found there was a slow leak from one of my water pumps. Well I just turned the sytem to the secondary pump and shut the water off to the leaking pump and things are working fine. Now that it is cold I want to replace the pump so I can have the backup just in case. Should I go with the same pump as the orginal (gotta go out and look again to remeber what is there) or is there a better new pump out there that will relatively simply hook into the old system ? I am trying not to have to modify much as my skills are limited.

Thanks
In my '99 we had the two pumps and left the switch set for "Both". One would kick in when a faucet was opened and the other would assist if the demand called for it. This, IMO, is a great system and if I ever had one pump go bad I would haVE replaceD it with an exact duplicate if possible. Multi-stage or variable pumps are designed for a single pump system. Your system, IMO is superior to those single pump systems plus it provides a backup as you just needed.
Old 12-15-2010

I also have the two pumps that can be set to use both. If I put in another type of pump do you think that would stop the two of them from working together?
Old 12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrams View Post
I also have the two pumps that can be set to use both. If I put in another type of pump do you think that would stop the two of them from working together?
The two pumps each have their own pressure switches that can be set so one comes "On" at a slightly higher pressure. This way one pump comes "On" when you call for water at a sink or for a toilet flush. When the demand for water increases such as when multiple faucets are open, the pressure drops slightly and the second pump cuts in. It all works seamlessly and I am a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" kind of guy so I would use the same pump as a replacement. But, that said, as long as you are able to set the "On" pressure for each pump in the system, you really could use any pump you want.
Old 12-16-2010

The reason I bought the upgraded replacement water pump is that when both my pumps were working I didn't think the water flow was as strong as I would like for washing the coach (or car), or a really strong shower. Perhaps they weren't adjusted correctly.

My plan is to use the new, stronger pump when I am somewhere with a plentiful water supply and the older, lower volume pump when I am dry camping or when my guests are showering.

Also, both the original equipment pumps in my coach have failed and I wanted a better made unit than just a straight replacement.

I'll let you know how it turns out after the weather warms up and I get it installed.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-19-2010

So i braved the cold and went out to remove the water pump today. Only one was leaking but of course it was the one further to the back. So I figured might as remove and replace both of them since they are 13 years old. After looking at it a while I decided that removing the brackets from the floor pan with the pump still attached was the best way (3 screws each). The hoses came off with out much trouble and the pumps came out with out to much trouble. The model number on the orginal pumps is Shurflo 2088-554-144 3.5 gpm 45 psi. I found them online for 65 dollars each from superiorsupplyonline.
Do i need to adjust the new ones as far as pressure so the two will work together?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010

When you install the two new pumps, put the selector switch in the "Both 1 & 2" position and stand where you can easily hear the pumps running. As pressure builds up, I'll bet one shuts off first as the pressure switches are rarely set exactly the same. After they both shut off, open a faucet slightly and one pump should start. If both start/stop at the exact same time you need to adjust one so the pressure, both "On" and "Off" is a little higher than the other. Pressure adjustment information will come with the pumps.
Old 12-24-2010

Ok I put both pumps in today, got the leaks to stop aka tightened the fittings, and the water is flowing. Intresting thing is when I turn the pumps off and leave the facuet open the water continues for afew minutes with only minimal slowing. Is this normal for the system to be preeaurizeds this long?