Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-28-2011

Default Shop manual for engine removal and installation

Does any form member have the official shop manual on how to remove the 3208 motor in a 1983 Bluebird FC. As I will be doing it myself, any shortcuts anyone may know of please let me know because it is ready to happen. I will be buying a cheap not rebuilt motor and running it. Jasper has turned me away from rebuilt motors. All phone calls are welcome and thank you in advance!
(812)697-0212
Old 04-28-2011

You want what doesn't exist. Take pictures as you disassemble things, so it's not a mystery when installing what ever it is you plan to use for a replacement power plant.
Those of us who have actually R&Rd an engine in a FC know it's best to work on a cement surface using a fork lift and a transmission trolly to remove the whole assembly as a unit. Nothing to hang the trans to once engine in out that's why it's better to remove as a unit.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-28-2011

100 percent Mike. Unless you have a Rough Terrain Fork Lift like Randy don't even think about trying this under the Shade Tree. You can get hurt bad. No one has a Shop Manual for R&R of engine in a 1983 Wanderlodge. I doubt there ever was that book.

Save your $ until you can hire it done. Too many things could go wrong without the proper equipment and skills.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-28-2011
Gardner

I would suggest you clean the areas well where the transmission cooling lines, fuel lines, etc connect before removing them. Then protect the openings with appropriate plugs, caps, whatever. It is probably a good idea to clean everything up well before starting which will give you a good look at everything that needs to be disconnected/removed. Plus you don't want to introduce crud into these lines and cause unnecessary problems after the re-installation.

Be sure the fork lift operator is capable of doing the job right. It will require slow and skillful control to remove the old and line up the new engine/trans assembly. Work out hand signals ahead of time so you can guide him during the process. Have a third individual as a 'safety man' to watch for things you and the fork lift operator may not see.

If you need / want new air bags, do it when the engine is out. Clean everything in the area well and inspect fuel lines, air lines, suspension valves, connections, etc. carefully.

Good luck, keep us posted, take pictures before, during and after.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey