Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default AD-9 Air Dryer Wiring

I replaced my AD-9 style air dryer on the coach yesterday. When I powered it up, everything seems to be working from that perspective, but the light and alarm for low air is no longer turning on. I’m guessing that perhaps I damaged or knocked something loose on the air dryer and it’s interrupting the circuit for the low air alarm.

There were only three wires total connected to the air dryer. There’s a wiring harness with a connector that looked like two wires. There was also what I’m guessing is a just ground wire that was attached to one of the smaller bolts on the bottom of the air dryer.

I’m going to get back under the bus today or this weekend to see if I can figure it out. I’m hoping that it’s just debris on the connector of the plug for the air dryer.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or more importantly, can anyone confirm that the circuit for the low air alarm goes through the air dryer? If those wires aren’t related to the low air alarm in some way, what do those wires going to the air dryer even do?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by talton View Post
I replaced my AD-9 style air dryer on the coach yesterday. When I powered it up, everything seems to be working from that perspective, but the light and alarm for low air is no longer turning on. I’m guessing that perhaps I damaged or knocked something loose on the air dryer and it’s interrupting the circuit for the low air alarm.

There were only three wires total connected to the air dryer. There’s a wiring harness with a connector that looked like two wires. There was also what I’m guessing is a just ground wire that was attached to one of the smaller bolts on the bottom of the air dryer.

I’m going to get back under the bus today or this weekend to see if I can figure it out. I’m hoping that it’s just debris on the connector of the plug for the air dryer.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or more importantly, can anyone confirm that the circuit for the low air alarm goes through the air dryer? If those wires aren’t related to the low air alarm in some way, what do those wires going to the air dryer even do?
The wires to the air dryer are for the heater built into the air dryer, so it does not freeze up in the winter. The low air alarm would most likely be a bendix switch that is separate from the air dryer. Its usually near the tanks. Not sure if they did things a little differently on a WB as opposed to PT's.. A WB guy or Randy will jump in here and confirm.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Okay, that makes way more sense than it directly including the low air sensor. I replaced one of the bendix sensors a couple years ago. Maybe I knocked a wire loose by accident since I was pulling on the air lines to reconnect them in that general area and maybe knocked something loose nearby.

Out of curiosity, any idea how the air dryer heater activates the circuit to heat it up in cold weather? I'm guessing it's some internal component of the dryer that somehow completes the circuit if it freezes up.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

The thermostat is inside the air dryer, when it’s cold enough, not sure exactly maybe 35/40°, the 12volt heater turns on, helps keep moisture from freezing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default AD-9 Thermostat and heater operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
The thermostat is inside the air dryer, when it’s cold enough, not sure exactly maybe 35/40°, the 12volt heater turns on, helps keep moisture from freezing
Additional information in link below. "Turn off the ignition switch and cool the end cover assembly to below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the electrical pins in the female connector. The resistance should be 1.5 to 3.0 ohms for the 12 volt heater assembly".

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/39...er.html?page=6
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 4 Weeks Ago

When I crawled back under the bus, the underlying issue was pretty obvious. The low air sensor is located slightly above the air dryer and one of the wires going to it was zip tied to one of the air lines going to the dryer. It came loose when I was moving the lines around to connect the new air dryer.

After reconnecting the loose wire, the annoying screech and indicator light for low air warning are back in working order.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Great, glad you got it fixed, that is important to have it working.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanks for follow up