Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-14-2020

Default Decent replacement door bell unit?

Was looking for a suitable place to mount the CO detector we purchased with our replacement smoke detector. The smoke detector is mounted on the wall to the right of the dining table opposite the kitchen.

To the left of that unit, also hanging on the wall, appears to be an old, battery-powered door bell unit. It's an old Radio Shack unit (Archer). It looks okay, but the wall unit was disconnected from the door bell wires, and the batteries were removed. Worse, still, it looks like the ground wire from the battery holder back to the ringer unit is completely missing.

I couldn't see a spot where that wire might have been connected to on the circuit board, and the board is glued to the housing. I can bring it into the house, and put it under better light and magnification, but haven't done that yet. The door bell button itself needs replacing. 40 years of sun and weather have not been good to it. So use, or not, I'll at least replace the outside unit if only for a nicer look.

I've searched here, and not found anything obvious, and searched online, but haven't found anything that's not either a ~$300+ remote camera 'smart' unit, or a battery-powered unit that requires C-cell batteries. The one in our bus uses 2 AA-cell batteries. Has anyone found any decent options? If we can find something nice, we'll probably replace it. If not, people can knock, or push the inop button.
Old 09-14-2020

I'm pretty sure the original BB doorbells were DC, I'm guessing so they would work without shore or generator power. I used a inexpensive house doorbell kit. It came with a transformer that requires 110 volts. It only works when you have 110, but how often do you need a doorbell when you don't have 110? I located the transformer behind the side panel and ran a 110 wire from a nearby receptacle to the transformer. Changed out the doorbell switch, a little rewiring and it works great. Plus the doorbell switch lights up!
Old 09-14-2020

The wiring from the button is just that, wiring from the button outside. There's no power through them, and there's only two wires coming through the wall. I was hoping to not have to deal with rewiring anything, and certainly not wanting to mess with the 110V -> 10V transformer that most residential door bells use. The mostly use energy to make heat.

Without power, how is someone going to ring the doorbell when you're going down the highway?!? I mean, how are they going to check to see if you have any Grey Poupon you can loan them?!?

Last edited by CrashTestDummy; 09-14-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
Without power, how is someone going to ring the doorbell when you're going down the highway?!? I mean, how are they going to check to see if you have any Grey Poupon you can loan them?!?
Inverter!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Tried resoldering the ground wire to the circuit board and battery contact, but that was a fail. It's been binned, as was the mount. I cut the door bell button wires off flush with the wall, and that location is now the location for our new CO detector. My wife reminded me that if someone actually rang the doorbell, it would probably be like here at the house, and we'd just let the pups bark at the door while we ignored it.

I'll try to find a nice replacement button on the outside to replace the badly-weathered unit we have, but it will be inop.