Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2017

Thanks for all the help. I will call him Monday morning.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 10-30-2017

I have a 23" fan that mistakenly was shipped to me instead of the 25" one that I ordered. If you want it please contact me.

Sorry for the upside down pic.....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but my fan is a 29" metal fan.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 11-03-2017

Well, as was stated, Larry is the man to call for Horton Fan issues.He hooked me up with the rebuild kit and although I don't have it yet, told me in advance what to do and not to do. He also asked me to call with any questions or problems.
The price for this service? For a real Horton kit, less than Ebay or other knock-offs on line it was under $300.00 delivered.
THANKS LARRY. No more rock tumbler back there!
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 11-07-2017

I got the rebuild kit fhru Larry and rebuilt the unit today. It was fairly simple to do. The kit is very complete and even has a few extra parts. The snap ring that holds the plastic air cylinder in place has to be installed one way only but the instructions show how clearly.
I used a bearing press but I think they would come out with a large socket and a hammer.
My unit actually looked good to me so maybe I did not need to rebuild it but if it is done.
If it is quiet and not clanking like it was then great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171107_094331.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	52231  
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 12-10-2017

I gave our SP a good run today up Mt Hood and it definately has more power with the recored CAC. I had never seen 12 lbs boost until today. There was also no "rattling" from the Horton Clutch. It is hard to say about temperatures since the ambient temp. on the drive was 33 Degrees. ( Which is why I wanted to be in Quartzsite!!)
I still don't think it is a "Corvette of Wanderlodges" but I am not complaining.������������
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 12-10-2017

Howard James, I am coming your direction! I will have my "Kilt Lifter" Pole ready !!!
More than ever, I can't wait to be at "Q" with a you and the group!
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 12-30-2017

So we finished our 1305 mile drive to "Q" today and "Songbird" ran like a swiss watch. The new CAC never hit 1100 degrees on all the climbs and the Horton fan is quiet. My only issue was an annoying TPMS on one trailer wheel that kept bouncing between 34 psi and 120 psi.. It was a small annoyance. I love the sound of the new straight pipe muffler on the Cat. She just purrs along! Other than some snow and fog it was a great trip. The work was worth it.. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP Mike !
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 12-31-2017

Glad your happy.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Update: We just got back from a 600 mile trip to "Hells Canyon" Idaho. I could not be happier with her performance. Cabbage, Ladd Canyon, Halfway, Copperfield Campgrounds and no signs of overheating. There was some 9% 3 mile hills in and some 7% hills out with temps staying at 190 degrees and Pyrometer staying at 900 and never more then 1000 degrees. The outside temperature was around 90 degrees so that it a big improvement!
I did leave the fan override on all day though.
Last year to Casper we saw 1300 degrees several times so I am happy that the record CAC and radiator (4 row core) are doing their job.
THANKS RADIATOR SUPPLY HOUSE!
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 3 Weeks Ago
tintent

Larry is the guy enough said