Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 04-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBianca View Post
You guys rock as usual. I feel like a bit of an idiot- of course it’s the intercooler...

Oh well, it’s in really good shape with no bent fins or blockages that I can see. The radiator on the other hand...

Anyway, I just got back from traveling all week for work and will finish pulling it today. My next dippy question is just ho much coolant is in there? I was thinking 5 gallons or so?

My next questions will be how to add coolant back in and bleed the system, but that will be in a week or so after I get the radiator back.
9 gallons by opening the radiator peacock on mine. System holds maybe 16?
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 04-13-2019

Thanks for that. About 7 gallons of coolant came out, so I have that too. Good news is the coolant was very clean.

Either way, ya think that radiator was due? SHEESH!!!

Old 04-13-2019

And yes, I broke off the temp sensor. I sure hope they can fix that...
Old 04-13-2019
Forum owner

wow,that thing is fubar...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-13-2019

If the radiator shop says they can’t fix the temp sensor, I suggest you find a different shop.

I showed that picture to my friend who runs a really good shop in Fort Worth TX. He said “No Problem”. Just solder in a new flange to screw the sensor in to.

We are going to be in Moab next week if you aren’t in a hurry. If you don’t have a good shop out there, Get it down to us in Moab and he could recore and repair it in Texas after we finish our trip. Then he could ship it to you.

I might even convince one of my friends from the NW to pick it up near Layton and bring it to Moab if you are really interested in having it repaired in Texas.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 04-13-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 04-13-2019

Yeah I figured that shouldn’t be brain surgery.

But that radiator is a mess and frankly I can’t believe it wasn’t leaking more or that my temps weren’t really bad.

I really appreciate the offer and I might take you up on it, but I think there might be a really good place in Ogden, but I’m checking on that. I figured I’d do some research tomorrow and see if there is a reputable place to drop off this week locally.
Old 04-13-2019

That radiator was in bad shape 5 years ago
Cape Cod,ma
Old 04-14-2019

I would contact Radiator Supply House in Sweethome Oregon. They recorded my Szp radiator and Charge Air Cooler both. They have done other SP radiators as well. My name on their computer is John Alley. They are awesome and very reasonable.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 04-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I would contact Radiator Supply House in Sweethome Oregon. They recorded my Szp radiator and Charge Air Cooler both. They have done other SP radiators as well. My name on their computer is John Alley. They are awesome and very reasonable.
So I just got off the phone with Megan at Radiator Supply house and she couldn’t find anything on ours at all and said it would be a full custom job and ~$3-4K?

I’m going to call her back and reference your name and see if she can look it up.

Conversely, there is a local shop that said they could do it for $750 or so. I’m going to pack up the radiator and take it to them to look at as they are close to my office anyway and see if I can trust them. They were referred to me by another shop who was like me and doesn’t trust anyone local, so we’ll see.
Old 04-15-2019

All credit to biobug!!! Just ordered from Radiator Supply House for a VERY reasonable price. And I’m not having to send a core in either!!!!!

John, I can’t thank you enough for pushing me in that direction. I’m very excited and we should have it probably mid week next week. Amazing.

Thank you so much everyone for your input and patience with me as I continue to learn about our bus. I’m a total geek on stuff like this and having a blast learning. Without the WOG, I’d be struggling.