Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 03-04-2018

Thank you.
I think I owe you all a bit of clarification......I have had 9 diesel pushers so far but not a Bird. Logged about 47k miles behind the wheel of a bus. Started with a 38ft gaser class A, then a 40ft HR, a 42 ft Gulfstream Constellation, a couple Monacos, a 43ft Mountain Aire, a 40ft Prevost, a 43ft Country Coach Ovation, a 43 ft Essex, and a 45ft Newell
I want a shorty to get easier into State parks. I have a 45 foot Newell that is being remodeled and probably will sell in the fall.
I have had this Bird inspected by certified NRIVA Inspectors and pulled 5 fluid samples for the JG labs in Utah. All is looking great so far. It seems to be a very good unit.

I have never been on the northern route from Seattle heading east, hence the question and request for advice.

I drove to and from California on 40, Yellowstone southern route, Texas, Alabama, eastern seaboard, Florida etc...multiple times....but only once to Fargo when I got the Newmar and it was in August.

Most of the travels were during summer and warmer months.....so...April through Montana. South Dakota, Minnesota, is unknown to me....
Old 03-04-2018

Is there a reason you're trying to cover so much ground each day? You're obviously an experienced driver, but in my experience, driving an older 'bird isn't the same proposition as the rigs you mention.
In my limited experience driving a modern bus , once you're on the freeway, you can set the cruise to around 70, then you're just riding, not driving. In a 'Bird (mine, anyway) you're watching the road, the gauges, (especially on grades), listening for unusual sounds; in effect, all your senses are engaged while driving, leading to mental fatigue.
I'm not too familiar with an SP36, but I suspect that especially through mountain passes, you'll be lucky to average 50mph, leading to 10-14 hours driving per day. In my day job, I travel extensively as a field engineer, and 500-mile days are not uncommon driving to some of my more remote locations, and while that is no great shakes in my car, the one time I tried a 540-mile drive in the 'Bird, I was so wiped out by the end of the day that I couldn't think straight, and it's towards the end of such a day that it's easy to make mistakes.
If there are two of you driving, that's a different matter, of course, but I usually limit myself to around 8 hours per day, stopping to get out & stretch every 2-3 hours. That way, I'm still fresh when we get to our camp site, and I can get set up before it's too dark and enjoy wherever we're stopped for the night.
Just my two cents's worth...
Old 03-04-2018
Administrator

We are just replying as a cautionary measure of concern, you are very experienced , but driving a 25 year old vehicle into questionable weather is always a risk. Check the domestic water systems, the house heaters and the generator which will be your life line. And the alternator, chargers, strong or fresh batteries are a must.
Old 03-04-2018

I agree, my wife has a week off from work in that period and we were thinking to go get it. It is a push....will see if we can move it to the end of May and take a few more days to enjoy the trip in a more relaxed manner and warmer temperatures....hopefully....

Last edited by InfiLights; 03-04-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2018

I bought my 20YO Bird sight unseen off of eBay. In one day, I flew into Jacksonville, looked her over, made the deal, and drove to Valdosta. I have driven buses for years and was not too concerned about logging long days. But, like you, I had not owned a Bird before. They are complex and I didn't know what I didn't know. But having a Prevost before and having built a motorhome out of an old Eagle, I was plenty familiar with the mechanicals. On Day 2, I ended up changing a fuel filter north of Atlanta and still made to just north of Louisville. Day 3, I was home in Michigan. There was a bad vibration over 60mph that ended up being a bad tire but I took it easy and made it home.

It can be hectic and you will find issues, I'm sure, but it sounds like you have a plan and I'm sure you'll be able to handle it. My advice is to have someone else with you. Its always easier if you have support and plan on extra time as things never go as planned.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 03-04-2018

94 is much better road surface than 90 thru WY and SD, less grade changes too. 70 miles longer, but the smooth ride is worth it IMO.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 03-04-2018

Do you have a picture of this SP, there was one here in seattle I looked at, Could it be the same one ?
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 03-05-2018