Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-09-2018

Default Why did you buy a SP?

Hi, we are previous FC owners. Soon we are going to be in the market for another BB. Trying to decide what to get. Having said that, why do you love your SP? Let me know and thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-09-2018

Wow! I can't begin to tell you but here goes.
It is very easy to get in most campsites. I love driving it as it rides like a cadillac and is very quiet as it is a pusher. It is built like a tank as you are well aware . We like the storage and the mid door layout. The 3208t moves it right along . We presently on our way home to Oregon and have put 2300 miles on her with no issues. ( Our new Gulfstream would have been for repairs 2 to 4 times in that time). Where we live We have uneven ground and I seriously doubt that a 40' could make it in ou out. We presently are pulling a 10,000 24' trailer and it handles it well plus the total length is legal at 64 1/2 feet.I did strenghten the hitch as it is spec'd as 5000 tow maximum.
The flip side is that the radiator stock does not do great in the hills of the northwest. I recored the radiator and the CAC and added another row to the radiator which has helped a lot. It does not get the attention in campgrounds like the FCs and WBs but it gets some.The Primas system works great. We added 800 watts of solar which makes boondocking much easier.
I could go on but that is enough!
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 03-10-2018

Didn't want a big bus, again. Didn't want a front engine, again. Didn't want a tag axle, again.
No other BB choices. With that said we really love the SP. The main complaint that I have is that it's underpowered for the mountains around where we live. But, we just slow down and patiently climb the hill. The longer we have it, the more we love it. Just the right size to get into most spaces. I have yet to see another BB of any model that I would trade it for.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 03-10-2018
RV Appraiser

At one time I considered an SP but for the sole reason of not having to climb over the doghouse every time I got into my seat. The SP has the same engine, transmission, and many other components of the 87 - 89FC. The floor-plans are basically the same. I have driven both and I saw no difference in their handling, there are advantages & disadvantages of every coach. You have to determine what you want to accomplish with your coach then buy accordingly.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
Didn't want a big bus, again. Didn't want a front engine, again. Didn't want a tag axle, again. No other choices. With that said we really love the SP. The main complaint that I have is that it's underpowered for the mountains around where we live. But, we just slow down and patiently climb the hill. The longer we have it, the more we love it. Just the right size to get into most spaces...
There IS another BB choice that matches those wants! And it loves mountains, drives, rides & pulls like no other bus I’ve ever been in, and it has the sharpest wheel cut/turn radius BB ever made ... But if side entry is a deal breaker, the SP would be it

Was parked next to “Driving Miss Daisy” at Q (it was for sale there). Walked through it and loved the Ken & Tammy updated interior! Doubt it’s still available, but if so...
Old 03-10-2018

Never been in an SP, so can't weigh in on that, but we love our 37' BMC.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 03-13-2018

While I would agree the SP is a worthy coach, I would also respectfully suggest there is another alternative: The 37 foot BMC.

It has: Cummins C8.3 engine (All mechanical, no computer), Allison MD3060 six speed transmission, wide body, side radiator, 10KVA generator, anti-lock brakes, etc.....
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-13-2018

I don't have an SP, but I do have a 300hp with ZF.....

Ignore the dust/dirt, I'm ripping out some old dirty carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	54364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tach.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	54365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyro.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	54366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	54367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil press.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	54368  
FLYING DUTCHMAN

Last edited by shaaksma; 03-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2018

The SP36, with the mid-section entry that provides better access to day to day needs when parked. Kitchen/refer and bath are to the left without having to walk from the front of the "bus". You lose some space with the stairwell but there was a drop down cover that put flooring over that area when the door wasn't in use. As far as speed and power, your are referencing a unit built back in 1989-1992 that weighted 32,000 lbs powered by a 300 hp diesel engine. One should enjoy a solid well built coach that isn't digital and doesn't have slides. I would recommend putting is a really good sound system and blinders; enjoy the music and let watch the world go by one finger at a time.
Old 03-23-2018

Well said Craig!!
( Which finger were you suggesting?
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."