Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2018

Spoke with Khanh earlier and there are a few things I took note of. Loss of coolant (he was going to check the oil level and look for external leaks.) If I’m not mistaken he said the engine would reach 190 while in neutral at high idle. I found this alarming because he must have a serious coolant flow or heat exchange issue for that to be possible. With no load and high idle and fan override on the temps should plummet to the point the thermostat closes and even then mine runs 160.

Thus far we know.
CEL and shutdown procedure has taken place while being driven.
Loss of coolant
Expansion tank does not hold pressure.
190 is reached with no load, high idle, fan override on.

Waiting for more info.
Old 03-11-2018
RV Appraiser

If the expansion tank is not holding pressure he may have a rusted through neck on the tank. I had mine recently replaced on my 95. That could also explain coolant loss?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-11-2018

As a data point, I just drove my bus, same 8v92, to my house to get packed for a trip.

30 minutes, mostly high idle, temp was right under 160°.

Short drive, 175°

Temperature today is about 70°.

My cooling fan was wired by my PO to run all the time.
Old 03-11-2018

This Morning I topped off the oil with 2 gallons of Delo 100 and drive it for less then 5 mins 2 times and each time it overheated. Each time water temp hit 220 and check engine light came on.

I turned off the engine and let it sit for 20 mins than drove it back to the RV Park. each time I drove the motorhome it climbs to 210 and 220 water temp gauge.

I let it idle the last time at 200 and put the heat gun on the water supply line on top the engine on the right side and temp was 145. The top left supply line pipe at the intersection was at temp 185. The water return line under the radiator fan was temp 95. So it may be that the right thermostat is sticking at 145 and not fully moving the water around. Also water pump was 110 temp. Engine block was about 120 temp. Radiator housing was 110 temp also. Only the exhaust manifold was 190 temp.

So maybe a sticky left thermostat or it maybe bad sensors. Not getting anywhere fast...and not sure if I will damage the engine.

Charles road side mech called me around 12pm and said he could open water pump and check impellers but may need a gasket to reinstall it. I also ask if he would take both thermostats outs and I could drive bus 6 hours back to Houston. Charles said he could but again would need gaskets after taking thermostats out. My mech back in Houston said we could use silicon gasket but I worry about damaging the engine.

I have decided to have it towed 26 miles to steward Steveson in Longview Texas and have them fix it on Monday. It could be a clogged radiator or thermostat or bad sensor at this point. I am pretty sure water pump is fine. Each time I take a temp with gun I never see any 200 temp on any part of the engine.

Charles the road side mech said that he can continue to guess like me and swap out part but it may end up taking longer than just having Stewards Stevenson figure it out and fix it.

A few other Diesel shop closer to me don’t want to work on older Diesel pusher cause parts are hard to get but after taking to Steward Stevenson they said for sure they can.

And now I also have a hydraulic leak just happen in my generator but that no big deal. I can fix that back in Houston.

I will let y’all know what happens.

Thanks sincerely for John and Jacobs multiple phone calls trying to help me get back on the road. And Randy also.
email me at chia30@att.net
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
With a infrared temp gun you should be able to tell if the water is flowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
He is talking about the two cut off valves that turn off the flow of coolant to the heat exchangers that provide heat from the engine when the motor is running. If they are off you won’t get heat up front.

I just tried to call you, if you want to call me back feel free to. (770)547-0269

Jacob B.
Both gate valves are open in the back engine. But I have not looked for the rest of the valves to see if that is why I don’t get front heat from dash. But that is another matter to look at later.
Old 03-11-2018

Khanh,

I wish you the best of luck at Steward & Stevenson. I have used them in other locations and have been pleased with their service and the prices seemed fair to me.

Diego
Old 03-13-2018

Thanks Diego. It’s a first for us but we enjoy the our BB so it’s just part of owning one. Just wish it was somethjng simple I could have fix. Tow cost was $1k but our insurance hopefully will cover most of it.

We rented a car and went on with our spring break family vacation to Brandson. Hope SS shope will finish the repair on our return trip and the cost is responsible.

Thanks again for all the help especially John and Jacob who took time out to call me.

Also I have to say the people in Marshall TX are super nice also. That country folks for you.

I will update on what was the finale fix.
Old 03-13-2018

What is your oil temp reading when your coolant is reading hot?
Old 03-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
What is your oil temp reading when your coolant is reading hot?
Hi Jerry for late reply. I don’t remember the exact oil temp but it was normal.
Old 03-16-2018

Hi all, I got my BB back from repair with Stewart & Stevenson in Longview TX today. They replaced the water pump and both thermostats. They told me that the water pump was damaged and shaft was worn/loose.

My BB water temp only rose to 170ish after 1 hour drive and did not go any further. This is actually better than in the pass, where the past water temp would rise and fall between 180 and 200ish and the override fan would kick in on normal driving load with 70 degree outside temp.

$500 in parts for new water pump and 2 thermostats
$900 labor
$1550 total with tax

I also noticed they installed a few new water hoes. The shops was professional, fast and I think the price was fair. I think hourly rate was $130ish. Shope had 3 other motorhome in for repairs too. Also the service manager, James, was familiar with Bluebird repairs. And they had 3 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engine experts working for them.

Can we add this shop to the list of BB repair shop please?

Stewart & Stevenson-Longview
4935 Whitehurst Dr
Longview TX 75602

Also Issac Wrecker Service 5129 West Loop 281 Longview TX 75603 where great to deal with. My towing cost was $1050 for about the 3+ hours it took them to tie up and tow my BB to the repair shop.

I hope this helps future BB owners that need overheating engine repair work.

Thanks again to all that called and reply to my help request posting, especially John, Randy, Woody and Jacob.

Khanh