Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2018

I think Jeeps hold their value well. It seems like I’ve become comfortable buying at retail plus and selling at wholesale minus a lot. I traded a Cayenne and bought a Jeep because the Cayenne couldn’t be towed, easily. The Jeep new was half the price of the German car and its used value was about 3-4 times more. Repairs to a Cayenne are expensive and that pretty much kills their value as they get older. Jeeps are relatively cheap to repair.
My Jeep is OK but I’d much rather be driving the Cayenne.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 03-13-2018

2003 Honda CRV. Put it in neutral. Turn off engine. Leave key in ignition so steering won't lock. Manual.

Go.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 03-13-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
2003 Honda CRV. Put it in neutral. Turn off engine. Leave key in ignition so steering won't lock. Manual.

Go.
2012 Kia Soul, same setup. 6sp manual, peppy, and low cost car. Easy to tow up to 75mph, only weighs 2800 pounds, had no issues over the 4 years we towed it.

Sold it so Tami could have a nicer daily driver so I bought an 82 CJ5 Jeep for a towed. As soon as I get the wobble out over 60mph then we'll be fine again.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 03-13-2018

I have just equipped my GMC Terrain V6 to be towed behind the FC. I have never had a vehicle behind and traveled from Canada to Florida and back from Seattle, in addition to numerous camping trips.

I feel the toad is essential. Besides convenient transportation and a break-down escape pod, I also consider the safety... what if I need to get to a hospital or take the dogs to the vet at a moment's notice. Not easy to ask around for a ride or pack up the FC.

I'm very excited to get on the road with the Terrain behind. The convenience and safety will be worth the cost.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 03-13-2018

Default Toadless

We towed a Honda Fit on our first extended trip. We had a dolly and loading and unloading weren't a big deal. But, we found the lack of backing ability was a real pain.

Our 36' PT turns in parking lots and such fairly well and so we find we can shop and such if we don't try to go everywhere. Only takes 36 acres to do a U-turn!

We have a 6V92 so with only 330hp we do notice the car back there, especially on the big hills and the dolly brakes don't do it all so you have more load on your retarder and/or brakes going back down.

This trip we brought only shoes and bicycles. We have used lots of bike paths and some city streets, taxis, our first Uber, buses and rental cars. It is much easier when traveling and is fun to find ways around new places which works well with a little planning. Bus rides can be entertaining.

Have been stuck in Yuma now for a while and Enterprise has enjoyed their trip through my wallet but it's always been a nice new car, no maintenance, all the latest old folks driving aids and they will pick you up.

I guess I could take it or leave it depending on the trip routing and destination. Certainly doing off-road you would want your own but otherwise there are plenty of other options in most areas. But, it is worth trying without a TOAD.
Old 03-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
WE were in Alaska and we kept seeing this same couple in a Class C towing an S10 pickup.
One rv park we were in and they were there too,but they did not have the pickup.
I asked about it and they told me they were way up in the hills on a dirt road and blew the engine.
They hitched a ride out and just abandoned the pickup,he said it was not worth towing it out and dragging it home with a bad engine.
Theres something to be said for cheap toads!
Completely understandable considering repair/value. Got to know when to say when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
I think Jeeps hold their value well. It seems like I’ve become comfortable buying at retail plus and selling at wholesale minus a lot. I traded a Cayenne and bought a Jeep because the Cayenne couldn’t be towed, easily. The Jeep new was half the price of the German car and its used value was about 3-4 times more. Repairs to a Cayenne are expensive and that pretty much kills their value as they get older. Jeeps are relatively cheap to repair.
My Jeep is OK but I’d much rather be driving the Cayenne.
That Cayenne is a sweet ride. But hey Capt... I've got this bridge...
... just joking Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheesB View Post
We towed a Honda Fit on our first extended trip. We had a dolly and loading and unloading weren't a big deal. But, we found the lack of backing ability was a real pain.

Our 36' PT turns in parking lots and such fairly well and so we find we can shop and such if we don't try to go everywhere. Only takes 36 acres to do a U-turn!

We have a 6V92 so with only 330hp we do notice the car back there, especially on the big hills and the dolly brakes don't do it all so you have more load on your retarder and/or brakes going back down.

This trip we brought only shoes and bicycles. We have used lots of bike paths and some city streets, taxis, our first Uber, buses and rental cars. It is much easier when traveling and is fun to find ways around new places which works well with a little planning. Bus rides can be entertaining.

Have been stuck in Yuma now for a while and Enterprise has enjoyed their trip through my wallet but it's always been a nice new car, no maintenance, all the latest old folks driving aids and they will pick you up.

I guess I could take it or leave it depending on the trip routing and destination. Certainly doing off-road you would want your own but otherwise there are plenty of other options in most areas. But, it is worth trying without a TOAD.
RheesB... I'm sure there will be times when not taking the TOAD. Gotta first get acclimated to the BB itself. Wait got to first get the BB!!! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

P.S. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE AVAILABLE BB's ON THERE ON BBBB. That's OK, my time is coming... sooner that later!

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 03-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I bought an 82 CJ5 Jeep for a towed. As soon as I get the wobble out over 60mph then we'll be fine again.
Michael, I've had a couple of Jeeps develop the dreaded death wobble. Both times it's taken a combination of alignment, ball joint replacement, steering stabilizer and wheel balancing(with wheel weights divided on both sides of the wheel).
"The Aviary"
Old 03-14-2018
AKA Tent Boy

John,
You forgot the track bar in your explanation, I had to replace three of the cheapies on the road in campgrounds in various years...

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 03-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
John,
You forgot the track bar in your explanation, I had to replace three of the cheapies on the road in campgrounds in various years...
You're right Larry! I was only thinking of the front end. I don't think the CJs had a track bar, but my TJ went through several of them.
"The Aviary"