Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Old 03-12-2018
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 826
Default

I think Jeeps hold their value well. It seems like I’ve become comfortable buying at retail plus and selling at wholesale minus a lot. I traded a Cayenne and bought a Jeep because the Cayenne couldn’t be towed, easily. The Jeep new was half the price of the German car and its used value was about 3-4 times more. Repairs to a Cayenne are expensive and that pretty much kills their value as they get older. Jeeps are relatively cheap to repair.
My Jeep is OK but I’d much rather be driving the Cayenne.
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-13-2018
mpierce mpierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Scranton
Posts: 1,605
Default

2003 Honda CRV. Put it in neutral. Turn off engine. Leave key in ignition so steering won't lock. Manual.

Go.
__________________


Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-13-2018
rtpn60's Avatar
rtpn60 rtpn60 is offline
Burnin Up in Az. :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
2003 Honda CRV. Put it in neutral. Turn off engine. Leave key in ignition so steering won't lock. Manual.

Go.
2012 Kia Soul, same setup. 6sp manual, peppy, and low cost car. Easy to tow up to 75mph, only weighs 2800 pounds, had no issues over the 4 years we towed it.

Sold it so Tami could have a nicer daily driver so I bought an 82 CJ5 Jeep for a towed. As soon as I get the wobble out over 60mph then we'll be fine again.
__________________
Michael & Tami Putz
78FC35SB Wanderlodge - "Putz'n Around"
'90 GL1500 Goldwing | '67 VW Rail | '82 CJ5 Jeep
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-13-2018
kunzelj's Avatar
kunzelj kunzelj is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville
Posts: 222
Default

I have just equipped my GMC Terrain V6 to be towed behind the FC. I have never had a vehicle behind and traveled from Canada to Florida and back from Seattle, in addition to numerous camping trips.

I feel the toad is essential. Besides convenient transportation and a break-down escape pod, I also consider the safety... what if I need to get to a hospital or take the dogs to the vet at a moment's notice. Not easy to ask around for a ride or pack up the FC.

I'm very excited to get on the road with the Terrain behind. The convenience and safety will be worth the cost.
__________________
Jeff Kunzelman
Oakville, Manitoba, Canada
1988 FC-35SB 300HP/ZF (2016-current)
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-13-2018
RheesB RheesB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Fairbanks
Posts: 99
Default Toadless

We towed a Honda Fit on our first extended trip. We had a dolly and loading and unloading weren't a big deal. But, we found the lack of backing ability was a real pain.

Our 36' PT turns in parking lots and such fairly well and so we find we can shop and such if we don't try to go everywhere. Only takes 36 acres to do a U-turn!

We have a 6V92 so with only 330hp we do notice the car back there, especially on the big hills and the dolly brakes don't do it all so you have more load on your retarder and/or brakes going back down.

This trip we brought only shoes and bicycles. We have used lots of bike paths and some city streets, taxis, our first Uber, buses and rental cars. It is much easier when traveling and is fun to find ways around new places which works well with a little planning. Bus rides can be entertaining.

Have been stuck in Yuma now for a while and Enterprise has enjoyed their trip through my wallet but it's always been a nice new car, no maintenance, all the latest old folks driving aids and they will pick you up.

I guess I could take it or leave it depending on the trip routing and destination. Certainly doing off-road you would want your own but otherwise there are plenty of other options in most areas. But, it is worth trying without a TOAD.
__________________
Rhees Burket
Fairbanks, Alaska
1984 PT36
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-13-2018
tsdevane tsdevane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
WE were in Alaska and we kept seeing this same couple in a Class C towing an S10 pickup.
One rv park we were in and they were there too,but they did not have the pickup.
I asked about it and they told me they were way up in the hills on a dirt road and blew the engine.
They hitched a ride out and just abandoned the pickup,he said it was not worth towing it out and dragging it home with a bad engine.
Theres something to be said for cheap toads!
Completely understandable considering repair/value. Got to know when to say when.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
I think Jeeps hold their value well. It seems like I’ve become comfortable buying at retail plus and selling at wholesale minus a lot. I traded a Cayenne and bought a Jeep because the Cayenne couldn’t be towed, easily. The Jeep new was half the price of the German car and its used value was about 3-4 times more. Repairs to a Cayenne are expensive and that pretty much kills their value as they get older. Jeeps are relatively cheap to repair.
My Jeep is OK but I’d much rather be driving the Cayenne.
That Cayenne is a sweet ride. But hey Capt... I've got this bridge...
... just joking Sir.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RheesB View Post
We towed a Honda Fit on our first extended trip. We had a dolly and loading and unloading weren't a big deal. But, we found the lack of backing ability was a real pain.

Our 36' PT turns in parking lots and such fairly well and so we find we can shop and such if we don't try to go everywhere. Only takes 36 acres to do a U-turn!

We have a 6V92 so with only 330hp we do notice the car back there, especially on the big hills and the dolly brakes don't do it all so you have more load on your retarder and/or brakes going back down.

This trip we brought only shoes and bicycles. We have used lots of bike paths and some city streets, taxis, our first Uber, buses and rental cars. It is much easier when traveling and is fun to find ways around new places which works well with a little planning. Bus rides can be entertaining.

Have been stuck in Yuma now for a while and Enterprise has enjoyed their trip through my wallet but it's always been a nice new car, no maintenance, all the latest old folks driving aids and they will pick you up.

I guess I could take it or leave it depending on the trip routing and destination. Certainly doing off-road you would want your own but otherwise there are plenty of other options in most areas. But, it is worth trying without a TOAD.
RheesB... I'm sure there will be times when not taking the TOAD. Gotta first get acclimated to the BB itself. Wait got to first get the BB!!! Thanks for sharing your experiences.


P.S. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE AVAILABLE BB's ON THERE ON BBBB. That's OK, my time is coming... sooner that later!

Timothy
__________________
Timothy DeVane
Greensboro, NC
Future Owner

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-14-2018
alvahall's Avatar
alvahall alvahall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cynthiana
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I bought an 82 CJ5 Jeep for a towed. As soon as I get the wobble out over 60mph then we'll be fine again.
Michael, I've had a couple of Jeeps develop the dreaded death wobble. Both times it's taken a combination of alignment, ball joint replacement, steering stabilizer and wheel balancing(with wheel weights divided on both sides of the wheel).
__________________
John & Nancy Hall
Cynthiana, Ky
1988 Narrow PT40
"The Aviary"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-14-2018
sailor7cs's Avatar
sailor7cs sailor7cs is offline
AKA Tent Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 14812 53rd St.Yuma Foothills Cell 239-464-6441
Posts: 1,098
Default

John,
You forgot the track bar in your explanation, I had to replace three of the cheapies on the road in campgrounds in various years...
__________________

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-14-2018
alvahall's Avatar
alvahall alvahall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cynthiana
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
John,
You forgot the track bar in your explanation, I had to replace three of the cheapies on the road in campgrounds in various years...
You're right Larry! I was only thinking of the front end. I don't think the CJs had a track bar, but my TJ went through several of them.
__________________
John & Nancy Hall
Cynthiana, Ky
1988 Narrow PT40
"The Aviary"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So true! gcyeaw Under The Awning 8 07-09-2017 10:07 PM
So true Bluebird Bob GOT CLEAN JOKES...add them here!! (MODERATED) 3 12-10-2013 06:59 PM
It's got to be true!! iamflagman Under The Awning 12 02-16-2013 02:08 PM
IS THIS TRUE? JackandLiz How To Protect Your RV Investment. 11 04-29-2012 04:31 AM
Woody Is This True? iamflagman GOT CLEAN JOKES...add them here!! (MODERATED) 3 01-25-2009 01:13 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.