Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-19-2014
Forum owner

Default Randys Lithium battery install

I have been reading Kevins thread about Lith. batteries and then i read Forest's thread over on the Newell site.
All of that got me very interested in L. batteries.

So,in order to not hijack those other threads i started a new one.
Now,i almost never get into the battery discussions,its kinda like tires and toilet paper to me,everybody has a favorite!

But,this is new,its not the same old my battery is bigger than your battery deal!

Why change to L. batteries?
Well,i hope they last a long,long time.
They will shave off about 600lbs from my coach.
Hopefully we will all learn something (if i can do it,anybody can).

Things that made me nervous:
Figuring out the charging issues.
The L. needs a more precise charging system,not over 14.something volts,and this and that.
I still don't have all that stuff in my head!

Other guys talked about adjustable regulators etc.
about adjusting the inverter,etc.

I have no idea just what to do,yet.

So,i called Balgon,www.balqon.com/

Thats where the other guys were getting batteries.

Samra and i spent some time talking about my coach,Birds in general and the way i travel and dry camp.

We calculated the AH of my batteries.

We talked about how often i charged batteries.

So,i ended up buying a 700ah lith battery.

Yes,i could have got a bigger battery,but you still have to charge the battery,the bigger the battery the longer it will last,but the longer you have to charge it too.

I use the battery to run my house fridge,TV's and my computer and the crock pot.

I will never even consider trying to run an AC unit on inverter/battery power.

So,we/i think the 700ah will work fine for me.
Plus,i called a few friends,asked their avice,kicked it around a little.

We all think that 700AH will be enough,for me.

Charging:

Samra has come up with some contactor system thats installed on the battery,this will allow my standard alternator settings and inverter settings to work,no mods needed (if i understand this properly!)

I will save about 600lbs,and the new battery will fit where two of my six battery's now live.

They are supposed to ship the batteries today,will have them next week if santa claus does not slow down delivery.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-19-2014
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I appreciate those who blaze the trail and work out all the bugs.
Really sounds like some exciting technology. With the new low energy frig and these batteries, could just eliminate any need to have a Gas Frig.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-19-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
I appreciate those who blaze the trail and work out all the bugs.
Really sounds like some exciting technology. With the new low energy frig and these batteries, could just eliminate any need to have a Gas Frig.

Having a guy like me calling Samra and asking dumb questions has gotten him to figure out the charging issues,this will make this a plug and play system.
If i understand him!

Samra figured out early on that i had no idea what to do with charging!
hahaa!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-19-2014

Now we need the guru to help with a 450 install of a 1250 Amp system for the house and a 24V start with a 12/24 split system.

My plan would be to do a hybrid system with 2 4D AGMs ( in series ) for starting, and the 1250 A (12V) Liths for the house.

Sound good?

Lots of stuff to figure out.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Having a guy like me calling Samra and asking dumb questions has gotten him to figure out the charging issues,this will make this a plug and play system.
If i understand him!

Samra figured out early on that i had no idea what to do with charging!
hahaa!
San Marcos, CA
Old 12-19-2014

Randy,

I'm all for you adding your thoughts and experiences to the thread I started, or visa versa, we can just change the title to Lithiums installations. I think having a round table type discussion would be both beneficial to us as well as to those wanting to learn about this technology.

After 2 1/2 weeks here at Q we have determined our daily usage to be a bit over 400amps. So we have been charging once a day for a couple hours. Occasionally using the convection for baking requires us to start the generator and then the battery will get charged during that time, but otherwise the gennies just run for battery charging. Given our use the 700 amp would work just fine.

The larger battery just gives us a few options such as being able to leave the coach for a few days. Having auto gen. start would work also, but i am not comfortable having the generator running while we are away.

We added a regulator for the alternator not for the battery, but to keep the alternator from over heating. As the battery will take up to 400 amp/hr during charge we figured it would be maxing out the alternator's 300 amp/hr. Right now I have it set to charge at 180 amp/hr and all is good.

The Battery Management System does use a contactor, which I mistakenly previously called a solenoid that disconnects the battery if the voltage is too high or low. Is this the contactor you were referring to or does your design have a separate contactor between alternator and batteries? That seems like a nice simple solution and is not one I had thought about.

Your absolutely right, charging properly, or maybe optimally is a better term, needs to be addressed and be simplified. Looking forward to hearing from Samra on his solution.
Old 12-19-2014
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post

Charging:

Samra has come up with some contactor system thats installed on the battery,this will allow my standard alternator settings and inverter settings to work,no mods needed (if i understand this properly!)
So, you are saying that we can use our existing inverter/chargers to charge with no change in settings? It sounds like he is using some kind of system to determine when to let voltage through the cont

That would be REALLY nice. If so, then I'll be changing over to this when its time.

I'll be hanging on to my Dometic fridge and I could run that on gas. I will note that I do a lot of boondocking (in the form of tailgating). But, mostly that means running the TV and DirecTV and maybe a little microwave.

I was figuring on moving to 1000aH based on that. But, maybe I can get away with 700aH? If in doubt, I will go bigger.

I'm real excited that there will be some kind of drop-in battery system. I will probably not do be able to do this until the latter part of 2015 through mid-2016 and I hope that you and Balqon will have all the glitches ironed out by then!
Marietta, GA
Old 12-19-2014
Forum owner

Balgon called,my battery is on the way.

My system uses 2 contactors,i have a drawing of it,i'll post it tonight.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-19-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gsur View Post
Now we need the guru to help with a 450 install of a 1250 Amp system for the house and a 24V start with a 12/24 split system.

My plan would be to do a hybrid system with 2 4D AGMs ( in series ) for starting, and the 1250 A (12V) Liths for the house.

Sound good?

Lots of stuff to figure out.

Dan

Good luck Dan,you 450 guys can do it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-21-2014

Randy,

I bought the battery setup from Forest. I set up my charger slightly different from his.

I will have to look at the contactor setup when you post it to understand how it might work.

From what I understand, there is not a high tolerance band for overvoltage or undervoltage for the LiPo, necessitating the use of some sort of BMS system to prevent human error. In my way of looking at it, the ideal situation would be a dual layer of protection. One contactor to isolate the batteries at given high and low voltages, and one contactor set to activate at battery protection levels. Let me illustrate with numbers. Let's say you want to charge to 14 volts and not drop below 13.1 volts before you recharge. So contactor one comes in when the voltage drops to 13.1 and cuts out at 14.0. Contactor two, which is really to prevent the batteries from catastrophe would cut out if the voltage went above 14.2 or dropped below 11.8.

Why do you need both ? contactor one is to control charging, contactor two is prevent you from discharging your batteries if you are away from the coach and you have electrical loads.

I can't wait to see your schematic.

Like you, I want and intend to use the system as a "commoner". A lot of the guys on the cruisers forum are REALLY into it. I understand the technology and most of their discussion, but I'm not getting into the 4th decimal place discussions when even the experts don't agree.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 12-21-2014
Forum owner

My battery has 2 contactors,i'll try to get the drawings up today

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com