Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 03-10-2018

Default True Cost of a TOAD

Or just buy a suitcase at a goodwill store. Done that before!
Also, if you don't have a TOAD and breakdown remember "Call Enterprise, they pick you up!"
This also works well if your traveling hundreds of miles and then staying for a short time. It might be cheaper to get a rental car than to drag your toad.

2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
I copied the above message from the Camping tips for newbies thread.

Would experienced Toad Folks kindly share what is the true cost of towing Four Down. I have been looking at different vehicles to flat tow; Sonic, Cruze, Cavalier. Yes, I am a Chevy guy. Hmm, what about towing my 72 Cheyenne Super Short Bed? Now am now concentrating on Jeeps because of their ease of hook up and go. I figured a 2008 Jeep would be plenty new enough to drag behind the yet to be purchased BB.

I have begun checking them out. I have looked primarily at 2013 - 2015 Wrangler Sahara's 2-Door for the following reasons:

1. Smoother ride (which I believe would make my bride happier), based on
research articles I have read (2013 and newer)
2. Sahara trim package for creature comforts
3. 2-Door Hardtop, because of personal aesthetics
4. Expanded search to include 2014-2015 because pricing and mileage for
these years were literally the same as a 2013

The convenience of having you own toad vehicle certainly has its merits, but referencing the above thread (rental car), and my inexperience, I began to wonder that other than initial cost, what else might I need to consider? Thank you in advance for all input.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 03-10-2018

After driving 6 or 8 hours the last people I would want to deal with is a rental car company. I also look at my toad as an escape module if anything happens - especially in remote areas.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2018

Tim, first of all if the toad is going to be nothing more than just a toad, I think a rental would be more economical. If the toad is like my truck, which I use daily, it is a no brainer for me to pull it. Several reasons come to mind. I needed no baseplate. The truck is set up with a Meyer snow plow attachment. I was able to just attach my towbar to that attachment and off I go. I had a similar situation with my 2003 Jeep Unlimited. It had aftermarket front and rear bumpers on it with D-Ring attachments on the bumpers, which I was able to attach the towbar to. So in my situation I had no extra costs involved. I have a portable aux. brake in the toad and because it is portable it will go in any vehicle. So my expenses for a toad were the towbar and the brake, with a total of $1500 investment. Of course there is wear and tear on a toad pulling it but I don't know how you could come up with a cost on that.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-10-2018

Tim , I think I have had 5 or 6 toads maybe more . You need to determine what you want out of the toad .
are you a off road kind of guy
are you a motorcycle guy
are you a fine dining kind of guy

you see it really depends on what you plan to do with your ride . I know guys who only bring there MC . Then there are guys who only bring a jeep . I like to bring them all , but space becomes a issue dosent it

do @ bring about there own set of issue , you bet they do , but then again so does most everything in life . Just pick one I say and if it doesent work try something else till you figure it out

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com

Last edited by al perna; 03-10-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: word
Old 03-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
After driving 6 or 8 hours the last people I would want to deal with is a rental car company. I also look at my toad as an escape module if anything happens - especially in remote areas.
Alan - Having a toad as an escape module is certainly something to consider. These BB's are road warriors, but anything mechanical is subject to mechanical failure. Thank you for the reply and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Tim, first of all if the toad is going to be nothing more than just a toad, I think a rental would be more economical. If the toad is like my truck, which I use daily, it is a no brainer for me to pull it. Several reasons come to mind. I needed no baseplate. The truck is set up with a Meyer snow plow attachment. I was able to just attach my towbar to that attachment and off I go. I had a similar situation with my 2003 Jeep Unlimited. It had aftermarket front and rear bumpers on it with D-Ring attachments on the bumpers, which I was able to attach the towbar to. So in my situation I had no extra costs involved. I have a portable aux. brake in the toad and because it is portable it will go in any vehicle. So my expenses for a toad were the towbar and the brake, with a total of $1500 investment. Of course there is wear and tear on a toad pulling it but I don't know how you could come up with a cost on that.
Jim - I understand your points of view; consideration of vehicles owned, plus fixed costs of tow accessories, and accelerated depreciation due to wear and tear. Thank you for your reply and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Tim , I think I have had 5 or 6 toads maybe more . You need to determine what you want out of the toad .
are you a off road kind of guy
are you a motorcycle guy
are you a fine dining kind of guy

you see it really depends on what you plan to do with your ride . I know guys who only bring there MC . Then there are guys who only bring a jeep . I like to bring them all , but space becomes a issue dosent it

do @ bring about there own set of issue , you bet they do , but then again so does most everything in life . Just pick one I say and if it doesent work try something else till you figure it out
Al - Thank you for your reply and input also. Definitely not off road - no Rubicon needed. Previously considered adding a Hydralift and taking my Honda GW, but I now plan to take that option off the table for various reasons. I earned my girth the old fashioned way. When all of my friends were busy getting wasted on alcohol or weed, my drug of choice was a good Hero sandwich. So no to fine dining, we're more of the hole-in-the-wall, local favorite spots people.

Gentleman - I believe I get the picture - Purpose, Options, Choose, then rinse and repeat as necessary. So many have said that experience is the best teacher. Not so, seek wisdom from the experience of others.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 03-10-2018

We've done a good bit of Enterprise rentals over the past year. It's generally worked pretty ok, and it's nice to be on the road without towing anything. We zip in and out of parking lots, back up whenever we want, and are way lighter up the hills.

That said, we are looking for a Toad! We may still go Commando and rent occasionally, but it will be nice to have an option.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 03-11-2018

We’ve had three different Jeeps as toads since 2000. Two Grand Cherokees, and the current Commander. Not the lightest of vehicles, but simple to tow. Essentially plug and play. Each has been a daily driver in addition. Since they have all been higher level models, they have had a good amount of creature comforts. Definitely not off-road models, but do have the capability. Our 2008 Commander has been on some back roads, but not rock climbing. We spend some time in Colorado most years, and the Jeeps are as well suited for that as they are for navigating the freeways in Southern California.

As mentioned by others, you need to base it on your specific needs. We traveled for 5 1/2 months last year. I can’t imagine renting a car to cover our travel needs during that time. Our travels may involve a couple of days in one place, and a week or month in another. If all of your travels involve a weekend in a city environment, a rental may be better.

As to your initial question of “true cost”, that depends on if your toad is only a toad, if it is a daily driver, how old it is, and a host of other things.
VerleyBird
Old 03-11-2018
RV Appraiser

We have had 2 different toads, neither were anything we would use in our daily business. I called them beaters, our current toad is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, we use it to off road when we go to Moab or Colorado. I'm waiting on full retirement before I buy a Rubicon. I think you need to consider what you need a toad for while traveling, how often will you be traveling, where you go and what you will do. I don't think I would want to use a 2018 Cadillac as a toad, nor would I want to tow a dually but you can tow both if you so desire and have the funds to make the required changes. I tow 4 down, I will not use a dolly or a trailer to haul a toad, by doing so your just introducing another potential mechanical failure into the game. Almost all states require supplemental brakes on a towed, have you given that thought? Anything over 3500lbs require supplemental brakes. So do you use a brake box in the toad or use an air pressure operated system feed off the bus? Tow bars are almost all interchangeable, base plates may not be, so if you buy a setup for one vehicle you may have to buy additional supporting equipment for a different toad.
I also doubt if I would ever go anywhere without a toad, I have other folks with me who depend on me to get them home again, so we even take the toad on a 100 mile ice cream run.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrescue View Post
We've done a good bit of Enterprise rentals over the past year. It's generally worked pretty ok, and it's nice to be on the road without towing anything. We zip in and out of parking lots, back up whenever we want, and are way lighter up the hills.

That said, we are looking for a Toad! We may still go Commando and rent occasionally, but it will be nice to have an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
We’ve had three different Jeeps as toads since 2000. Two Grand Cherokees, and the current Commander. Not the lightest of vehicles, but simple to tow. Essentially plug and play. Each has been a daily driver in addition. Since they have all been higher level models, they have had a good amount of creature comforts. Definitely not off-road models, but do have the capability. Our 2008 Commander has been on some back roads, but not rock climbing. We spend some time in Colorado most years, and the Jeeps are as well suited for that as they are for navigating the freeways in Southern California.

As mentioned by others, you need to base it on your specific needs. We traveled for 5 1/2 months last year. I can’t imagine renting a car to cover our travel needs during that time. Our travels may involve a couple of days in one place, and a week or month in another. If all of your travels involve a weekend in a city environment, a rental may be better.

As to your initial question of “true cost”, that depends on if your toad is only a toad, if it is a daily driver, how old it is, and a host of other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
We have had 2 different toads, neither were anything we would use in our daily business. I called them beaters, our current toad is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, we use it to off road when we go to Moab or Colorado. I'm waiting on full retirement before I buy a Rubicon. I think you need to consider what you need a toad for while traveling, how often will you be traveling, where you go and what you will do. I don't think I would want to use a 2018 Cadillac as a toad, nor would I want to tow a dually but you can tow both if you so desire and have the funds to make the required changes. I tow 4 down, I will not use a dolly or a trailer to haul a toad, by doing so your just introducing another potential mechanical failure into the game. Almost all states require supplemental brakes on a towed, have you given that thought? Anything over 3500lbs require supplemental brakes. So do you use a brake box in the toad or use an air pressure operated system feed off the bus? Tow bars are almost all interchangeable, base plates may not be, so if you buy a setup for one vehicle you may have to buy additional supporting equipment for a different toad.
I also doubt if I would ever go anywhere without a toad, I have other folks with me who depend on me to get them home again, so we even take the toad on a 100 mile ice cream run.
Thanks AZRescue, ArlinV, and Birds_First... I understand it mainly comes down what type of travel you are planning to do with the BB, and how long you are planning to stay and explore each locale. I appreciate the added information and the need to consider various brake and hook up systems.

My Dad told me when I was a kid, something I have never forgotten. "Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. Seek wisdom, and with that, get understanding." Having never camped, or had the prior benefit of RV ownership, I know I plan on jumping in deep. My wife and I have always wanted to travel the country. I believe the best way to do this is by RVing. At this point I do not know what I do not know; but I am willing to learn. Thank you so very much for your responses and input.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 03-11-2018

Understand I have yet to assign a toad to our bus but this is something you may want to pay attention to in your quest for your future toad...whatever it may be.
MAKE SURE IT CAN HAVE THE STEERING WHEEL LOCK DISABLED.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com