Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-29-2019

Default Water down the exhaust pipe

Not sure if I have water down the exhaust pipe or not. I always insert a small football into the 90-degree elbow and it fits perfectly and snug. However, you do have to remember to replace it when parked! I forgot. We have had a couple of good rains afterwards. I have not tried to start it yet because I want to rotate the engine to see if there is an issue. Not sure how to rotate an 8V-92 and also if it won’t rotate, is the solution to stick a shop-vac hose down the pipe from the roof and suck the water out until it will rotate?
Valparaiso, Indiana

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 09-30-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Moved from the M380 (Unique Issues) Forum
Old 09-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssam View Post
Not sure if I have water down the exhaust pipe or not. I always insert a small football into the 90-degree elbow and it fits perfectly and snug. However, you do have to remember to replace it when parked! I forgot. We have had a couple of good rains afterwards. I have not tried to start it yet because I want to rotate the engine to see if there is an issue. Not sure how to rotate an 8V-92 and also if it won’t rotate, is the solution to stick a shop-vac hose down the pipe from the roof and suck the water out until it will rotate?
If you have water in the engine a shop vac will not get it out. Farthest you would be able to get is the Turbo and your still a couple feet from the top of the piston past the Super Charger.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-29-2019

Flappers work well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	768A9E4A-8B9E-4FD5-92C2-4AE5FE6D1D16.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	64412  
Old 09-29-2019
ANOTHER REDNECK

thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 09-29-2019

Not sure if I have water down the exhaust pipe or not. We have had a couple of good rains the last few days and I forgot to cover my 90 degree thru the roof exhaust elbow. I have not tried to start it yet because I want to turn the engine manually to see if there is an issue before start it. Not sure how to manually turn an 8V-92. Rand D. did say in this thread a few years ago he had water in his Series 60 and was able to suck it out with a vac. Maybe that's not possible with an 8v92. Can anyone can tell me the easiest way to manually turn the engine to see if it will turn and if not, how to extract the water on a 8v92?
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 09-30-2019
Forum owner

I did suck water out of an S60 with a shop vac.
I had a straight through muffler which allowed my hose to go all the way down to the turbo.
I turned the vac on and left it running for a few hours.
Then i rotated the engine backwards with a big wrench and let the vac do its thing,and turned it back some more.
I did end up with maybe a gal of water in the vac tank.
Then i rotated the engine forward with the big wench,when it turned easy for about 5-6 revolutions i took the vac ose out and fired that engine up.
Fast idle for a few minutes to burn the water out of the muffler and all was well.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-30-2019

I just want to turn the engine manually to see if I have water in it, I'm guessing if there is water in it, turning it forward may not be possible? Also what is the best way to turn the 8v92 manually? Not seeing where I can get a big wrench on it to do so.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 09-30-2019

Go to Harbor Freight and buy their Tow Ball 1-1/2" box wrench which is about 18" long. The crankshaft balancer wheel uses this size nut, grind a little off the side to get it to clear the rear cross frame.

Be careful turning the engine counter clockwise as you could loosen the nut, so carefully turn it clockwise, and you may need to remove the secondary fuel filter for a little more room if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrench3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	64426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrench2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	64427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrench1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	64428  
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 09-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Go to Harbor Freight and buy their Tow Ball 1-1/2" box wrench which is about 18" long. The crankshaft balancer wheel uses this size nut, grind a little off the side to get it to clear the rear cross frame.

Be careful turning the engine counter clockwise as you could loosen the nut, so carefully turn it clockwise, and you may need to remove the secondary fuel filter for a little more room if needed.

Thanks Barry, I'll do exactly that. I'm assuming the Detroit rotates clockwise when running. If there is too much water present, I'm also assuming that it won't rotate manually forward....Clockwise. If it does rotate manually, I should be go to go?
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 09-30-2019

Sam. The 8V92 has airbox drains. If you have any water on the pistons you should see water coming out the drains as you rotate the engine. Maybe place a pan under the airbox drains and see if anything comes out. One full revoulation since it's a 2 stroke will get all the pistons past the liner intake ports to get rid of the water. If you get water out maybe a couple times around would be a good idea. I would also check the engine oil level before and after you get it running for any signs of water there too. Before to see if level is high indicating water in the pan and after to see if it looks milky.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079

Last edited by Alever; 09-30-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling....