Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default 3208 rebuild

I'm working on rebuilding my 3208T 250HP out of our 82 FC33. One of the exhaust valves stuck and the push rod fell out and got beat up by the camshaft on its way down, then got caught up between the crankshaft and the bottom of the # 8 piston and beat up the bottom of the piston before ending up into the oil pan.

So decided to remove the engine and do a rebuild so we know we have a good dependable motor. where I'm at right now are the heads were rebuilt by a local machine shop, new valves, replaced valve guides with knurled ones and resurfaced each head. The rest of the engine is apart and inspected, needs to be bored .020" over, the crank is good and so are the camshaft and lifters. this is what I'm planning to do so far:

Bore the block .020 over
New 3 ring pistons .020" over
deck the block
Have the engine balanced
new bearings: Crank,rods, cam, piston pin.
new oil pump bearing, maybe gears if needed
new injectors

I have a few questions to make sure it is done right.

Who is a good source for parts: pistons, gasket set, and the rest of the stuff what is a good aftermarket brand??

What compression ratio of piston could be used, it looks like there is a 16 to 1, 17 to 1, and 18 to 1, available??

should I replace head bolts, rod bolts??

Should I use genuine Cat head gaskets or are some of the aftermarket head gaskets just as good??

What choice of injectors would I have to improve performance, would the 7000 series injectors work, is there any advantage to use them??

I'm interested to hear if there is anything else I should do while it is apart to make it dependable and any tips and tricks to make sure it runs well.

I'm looking forward to your advice (especially Mike's)

Thanks
Bob
Old 3 Weeks Ago

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Awful lot of work not to use CAT parts- in my opinion . I would use CAT head gaskets and new head bolts for sure. New exhaust manifold bolts from CAT is a good idea too.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Why not use a CAT rebuild kit?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks Mike for the recommendation for good aftermarket parts. The main reason for not using Cat parts is the cost, but I haven't priced ether one yet, i will be working on that today, let you know.

What do you all think about compression ratios. I'm not sure what the original compression ratio was, but could you go with the 18 to 1 to help out with the performance? The Engine serial # is 02Z02246 if that helps know the original compression ratio
Old 3 Weeks Ago

If you go to the CAT house with the arraignment numbers and serial numbers they will tell you what the compression ratio is. I would stay with that.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default 3208 parts.

Hi, the big issue is the piston rings. The rumor is that CAT wanted to use the three ring pistons. Ford bean counters want to save pennies, and wanted two ring pistons. So this change really reduced the engine life and not by a small amount!!!
So the CAT, parts could be two ring pistons kit!!! Dusty on the shelf, not something they would sell to their steady customers. But now you show up, they sell the two ring kit to you!!! They will tell you it is just how it came new!!
Suggest going with Mike,s ideas.
Cat 3208TA