Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2016

Default Carbon-Date my air filter

Mobile mechanic was helping with radiator exchange and also did service while out there. The last item was air filter replacement, which turned out to be unexpectedly difficult to remove. Glad I was looking over his shoulder, otherwise I'm sure he would have damaged the Primus during his frustration and yanking. After removing, I am really wondering when the last time it was actually checked. I have had it serviced 3 times since purchase in February 2014 at ABC, national indoor RV, and Holt Cat (as recent as sept 2015). There was marking that it was "checked and OK 11/14/14". After looking at it, I have my doubts. Does this look like it was OK 14 months ago and ~6000 miles, and wouldn't you expect a Cat dealer to remove and examine which was only sept and 2700 miles ago? Only highway driven, never on dirt road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	40471  
Old 01-24-2016

I don't know of any dealer anywhere that would remove an air filter to check to see if it was OK on an SP. Its hard to get to and even harder to reinstall. Were you charged 1 hour for this look see? That is about what it takes me to remove and replace the Air Cleaner and I know where the clamps are. Perhaps the service center checked the restriction gage over the engine battery bank.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-24-2016

Good point, forgot about that thing. Still, looks pretty awful to me. I had the radiator already swung which made it a little easier.
Old 01-25-2016

I showed the picture of my filter to my brother who has a 1999 motorhome with 5.9 Cummings. This is what his filter looked like. He said that the dust surrounding it was from banging it on ground for about 10 seconds.

So I guess mine could have been a lot worse, but still glad I changed it and saw how it is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	40497  

Last edited by GregR; 01-25-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Forgot picture
Old 01-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I don't know of any dealer anywhere that would remove an air filter to check to see if it was OK on an SP. Its hard to get to and even harder to reinstall. Were you charged 1 hour for this look see? That is about what it takes me to remove and replace the Air Cleaner and I know where the clamps are. Perhaps the service center checked the restriction gage over the engine battery bank.
Rick & Greg,
Maybe my 89 SP has a different set up from your 90 & 92 upgrades? No restriction gage. Where does it plug in over on the drivers side? Do you have a picture or part number? My parts book shows the BB part number (1022102) in description but nothing in the diagram (key# N1)
Small World has air filter on curb side, battery bank on road side. Above the batteries is the CAC intake. Is your gage there??

I've been thinking it would be nice to have gage so I wouldn't have to take the filter apart to check. I have a place to put one in the air inlet tube after the filter and before the turbo. It's the air compressor intake hose take off. Intake hose is removed and it's plugged now. I have a separate small carb air filter - like a motorcycle filter on the intake hose.
Barry told me he made this modification sometime after adding the propane injection. He said the thought came to him one day while he was driving that there could be a chance the compressor was drawing in propane and sending it through out his air system! yikes! The injector is just across but offset from the compressor hose.

I wonder if one like I have on my little powerstroke would work.
89 SP 36
Body #F82224
Old 01-25-2016

John, Mine is mounted on the road side next to the oil fill tube. plumbed into the fresh air intake after the filter.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-25-2016

only thing harder than replacing a blue bird air filter is paying for one!!
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Location: Formerly Lincolnville, Maine - Full Time and moving since Jan 2011

I'm trying to replace the air filter on my '90 SP (CAT 3208 TA). I've released three clamps and tried to pry this from the right angle connection to the side but it doesn't want to budge. Is there a trick to this?
I had thought the galvanized plate on the end would just pop off but got nowhere in trying to remove that.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

when you get a new filter you get the metal can and all.
the filter does not come out of the can.
Its not cheap,but they last a long time.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Location: Formerly Lincolnville, Maine - Full Time and moving since Jan 2011

I did finally get it out. I had thought the can could be opened. Not sure when I had this put in but the date on it is 2/23/15. It looks much better than I had expected.
The cheapest replacement I could find on line(about half the price of others) has a date of 3/28/13. Am I right to suspect that the date is the reason it is cheap?