Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2011

Default Where to go and not go on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi John,
I sure will, is the Blue Ridge parkway known to be difficult to navigate in a bus?

Susan and Dean Toensing
Boerne, Texas
210-842-1967
1989 40'PTWB "Tara Farm"
Old 06-06-2011

There are a number of tunnels. You can get a list and locations from the internet. Also, since 18 wheeler and other big trucks are banned from the BRP, there are many tree branches that overhang and will whack the antennas, and sometimes other roof top items.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168

Last edited by dog2travel; 06-06-2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Like Morey said commercial vehicles are restricted from travel on the BRP and depending on where you access the BRP the highway can be a challenge in itself just getting there, although there are some points that are easy to access. I've ridden almost all of it on my bike and the scenery is fantastic, but the one time I took my old 22 ft Travco Class A, my passengers enjoyed it more than I did. My suggestion would be to find a nice campground close to the BRP and then take your toad and spend an enjoyable cruise along the BRP, it will be easier to use the many pull off areas and look at the fantastic vistas.

Check out;

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

In particular Maps & Tools

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-06-2011
Forum owner

I have driven a WB 40 on the parkway,not something i want to do again.
Once your on the parkway its sometimes hard to find a road off of it.
Park the coach at an RV park and take the toad,a much better deal!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-06-2011

What everybody else says!!! I have ridden the Parkway three times on my Harley. Can't seem to get enough of it. But once in my coach would have been enough. It can be done, as Randy obviously proved, but I don't think any driver would have any fun. It can get pretty tight in spots. There are all kinds of areas to park the coach and then drive it in the toad. Much more enjoyable for both driver and passengers. If you have a bike it is even better. If you hurry you may still get to see some of the rhodedendrun bloom in the higher elevations. They can be spectacular if your there at the right time.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-06-2011
Former Bird Owner

I will echo the advice given by others ... put the bus in an RV park and use your toad.

Starting in Amish country in PA, we traveled down I-81 and stopped in Edinburg, VA (at Creekside RV Park). We then drove our toad up to Front Royal and started the "Skyway" drive at the beginning. (I noticed that the park gate had a 10 foot height clearance.) The campground in Edinburg is located on a creek (with a 5 ton limited bridge nearby) that was a short walk to the center of the village. (We had a lovely dinner in a local restaurant.) This park gives some round-about directions to get there ... and they must be followed to avoid the low-weight limit bridge. Your GPS will send you across the bridge (putting you in some very narrow village side-streets, too), if you let it.

After driving some distance on the Skyway, stopping at view points, etc., we left the Skyway at a cross road, and traveled on some back roads, eventually picking up I-81 to return to Edinburg.

The next day, we drove back down I-81 and re-entered the Skyway near where we exited the day before. We toured along much further south stopping at many attractions. On the way home, we stopped in a little town (no idea where, now) and had one of the best pizzas I've ever had at a Greek-themed restaurant.

I recall staying at another RV park further down in VA, but can no longer remember either the park or the city. It was off the freeway about a mile or so and was near a flying J. Anyway, we did a third segment of the Skyway/Blue Ridge Parkway.

Then we moved the coach south to Mt. Airy N.C. and stayed at Mayberry USA RV Park. (Very new, then.) After some debate, we traveled to non-Parkway sites and never got back to the parkway (then headed west across Tenn...)

As we drove on the Skyway/Parkway, it appeared that the bus would be far from pleasant to drive ... and we'd probably would have been hitting branches constantly. Lastly, out of the 8 or 10 stops we made each day, I doubt that I'd have been able to park the coach safely one ... we were traveling in the "fall color" season, and the parking lots were quite full, so it was sometimes difficult just finding a spot to park our car.

I will observe that "mountain" Virginia had some very interesting (to us) countryside, even outside the Park. The Shenandoah valley was beautiful. The area did not seem particularly wealthy -- we noticed a lot of "single wide" mobile homes on lots (even the 'poor' in CA seem to have double wides...) with an interesting roof repair technique of using a blue tarp held in place with old tires. The frequency of observing this "roof modification" while traveling off the main routes was astounding.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
I will echo the advice given by others ... put the bus in an RV park and use your toad.

. The area did not seem particularly wealthy -- we noticed a lot of "single wide" mobile homes on lots (even the 'poor' in CA seem to have double wides...) with an interesting roof repair technique of using a blue tarp held in place with old tires. The frequency of observing this "roof modification" while traveling off the main routes was astounding.
The better off folks use camouflage plastic tarps.

BTW there is a campgound on the BRP at Roanoke mileage marker #120. No trailers allowed so that rules out WL's. Great view from primative campground (narrow loop to top & back down). I stayed there in a VW campmobile many years ago.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 06-06-2011

If you get the least bit carsick, don't let anyone talk you into getting anywhere near the parkway.

Trust me. I have the distinction of having puked at least once on every mile of it. Worse than cheap whisky (or box wine)!
Old 09-20-2016

We are planning a trip from Dayton east to Blue Ridge south. Anyone know the best navigable exits to get on and off, I really don't want to wind up in a bind. I will have a toad.
Old 09-20-2016

I'd head up to Asheville or Maggie Valley area. Lots to see, easy access to the BRP.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920