Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 07-28-2009
RV Appraiser

Default Roadmaster Brakemaster Installation

Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 Series, Installation on an 88FC35 and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. This is a proportional air brake system. After reading the directions for 3 days and procrastinating for another week I finally attacked the installation of my brakes on the Jeep with determination to get-r-done. Even a mechanical baboon like me can do it!

I first tackled the car; it was the most complex because I installed the brake-away-system. I ordered the optional seat install mounting bracket at a tune of 60 bucks and when I got it I nearly crapped because if I had known what it was I could have made it myself for nearly nothing. I bought the new system off ebay for $520 and the local RV shop charges 700 plus 600 for installation.

First I mounted the air cylinder where I wanted it on the left front fender wheel behind my stock air filter.
The air cylinder needs to be mounted so you can drain it if condensation builds up just like your big air tanks on the bus. Then I mounted the brake-away switch on the front bumper next to the air chuck. Then I mounted the seat bracket and mounted the air connection on the left kick wall ahead of the driver’s door. After all hardware was in place then I ran the electric and air hoses and cut to length but left a little wiggle room incase I needed to reinstall in another vehicle at a later date. Once installed I called Roadmaster to see if I could bench test the system without the bus & they said sure put an air chuck to it from my air compressor in the garage @ 60 PSI. All went well, tail lights came on and you could hear the Thump & Swoosh from the air cylinder functioning. I was so proud I called the neighbors over to show them what I had done, of course I got the ”you are crazy” look!

Then after 3 or more days of going through the fear factors of the bus falling on me and then after getting pictures of fixtures & fittings from Bill Pape & Robert Britton I decided even I could do the bus. My driveway in front of my house goes into a basement garage, so I backed the bus up to the breaking point in the drive. This gave me about 4 feet of clearance at the bumper and almost 1.5 feet at the rear axle; enough for me to crawl under and reach the service brake relay box. I chocked the front wheels of the bus since my drive slopes to the street. Then I bled down the air to ZERO pressure. I had plenty of clearance under the rear of the bus and had no need for levelers or jack stands. I felt good.

I removed the right rear service brake hose and installed the brass tee from Parker Supply; the air hose has to be loosened from both ends because it only swivels at the lower connection. Then I installed the brass tee with Teflon tape and installed the air hose into it and tightened the lower end of the hose. Then I installed the air line to the tee and run it down the generator fan support around the fuel tank and back to the receiver where I mounted the rear air chuck. I wrapped the hose with flex protector and wired tied it about every 12 inches. After all was installed I let the little woman start up the bus and air it up, then we shut her down to listen for air, no air then I shot her with soapy water, the bus not the wife; to see if I got any indication of leaks. No leaks, to test the system I installed the air line and had the wife hit the brakes, Swoosh I got air! All is left is a road test and for me to install the brake indication light on the dash. I decide I would do this later and mount it in a blank hole on the dash. I be so proud of myself. I’m finally legal in 33 states & Canada.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=53
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-28-2009

John,

If you ever decide you don't like the break away install. Try it like I did mine, where I attached the air tank to the actuator cylinder bar- the piece that attaches to the $60 seat adapter! I bought one for my Explorer, too. Pricey, but I didn't have to do anything other than bolt it in. Anyway, I've got the actuator going from the seat bracket to the brake pedal and the air tank hanging off the multi-holed bar. It works slick and when I remove the assembly from the car, the only thing remaining is the plastic air line and a couple of wires. By the way, I used a 2 wire connector for the break away wires, so I only have to do one connection. Now when I drain it, it's always outside the vehicle and never makes a mess.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-28-2009
Administrator

Good Job , Impatient John.

Knew you could get r' done
Old 07-28-2009
RV Appraiser

Well inorder to see if the thing was working without the indicator lights installed, I installed an indicator WIFE. I had the wife ride in the Jeep on the passenger side to see if the air cylinder activated everytime she saw tail lights on the bus. According to the indicator wife, it works!
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-28-2009

WOW John! I used my wife for the same thing after installing my SMI brake, similar braking idea, just smaller. Anyway, I insisted while she was in there we could try the break-away if I could get her to pull the pins on the tow bar ... she wouldn't do it. After that I had to install the light on the dash. She said she wasn't riding to Florida in the Wrangler behind the coach. It was pretty quite up front though during the test ..... boy I hope she doesn't read this

Really, she a good sport