Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-26-2010

Default HWH jack parts

Hi everyone, looking for two HWH rear jack sensors 87 PT40, they sit on top of the jacks and have one wire from them, they are a position sensor, HWH is trying to find but doesn't sound too hopeful, Thanks Robert
87 PT-40
Old 05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufftoni View Post
Hi everyone, looking for two HWH rear jack sensors 87 PT40, they sit on top of the jacks and have one wire from them, they are a position sensor, HWH is trying to find but doesn't sound too hopeful, Thanks Robert
A wire is separated from the top of one of our jacks...been this way for years...leveling system works fine. Just what does that sensor do? I'll be watching this thread. Maybe I need to fix something.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2010

Default HWH jack repair

Hi Curt, from my limited experience the wire tells the control light that the jack is fully retracted and shuts off the light, since this episode, the mechanic plugged the threads so i could drive the coach ad wait for the sensors. I have had a hum from the area of the jack hydraulics, it builds like a small pump running and then trails off like it has built pressure and shuts off, back again a few minutes later and starts the same cycle. I don't know if the pump is searching for a signal that it is not getting and just keeps cycling or what? I was hoping to get the sensors and see if it stops, Robert
87 PT-40
Old 05-26-2010

My jacks are similar to Curt's set-up:

curb-side and...

street-side...Which is to say only one has the connection and switch intact. My system is manual, with a rocker switch in the floor control panel to turn the pump on and off.

I stopped at HWH last summer to see about fixing some leaks. They were able to repair the small kick-down cylinders on the front units, but had no parts for the lifting cylinders on our 80's standard-body coaches. Only option from them was to have replacements manufactured, using current seals, etc, at a cost of around $900 per corner.

Too much $$$ for me!

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40
currently near Terrell, TX
Old 06-07-2010

street-side...Which is to say only one has the connection and switch intact. My system is manual, with a rocker switch in the floor control panel to turn the pump on and off.

I stopped at HWH last summer to see about fixing some leaks. They were able to repair the small kick-down cylinders on the front units, but had no parts for the lifting cylinders on our 80's standard-body coaches. Only option from them was to have replacements manufactured, using current seals, etc, at a cost of around $900 per corner.

Too much $$$ for me!

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40
currently near Terrell, TX

Nice price...really really nice
We are gonna stop there next spring to have ours looked over and maybe replace the pump and a couple of springs (depending on their price).
Old 08-27-2012

Due to "user error", I am in need of two of the following "jack sensor" parts are per the below picture (the aluminum sensor that screws to the top of the ram and has the sensor wire attached at the top). I already left a message at HWH via phone and email but haven't heard back yet, then saw this thread.

First question, did the original poster ever get the parts from HWH or are they NLA?

Second question, does anyone have a set "laying around"? I already checked with Randy and he doesn't.

Third question, would this setup have been used on more than just Birds in the 80's, so if I call a yard like Colaw's they can check more than just Birds? And when did this setup "go away" or get replaced with something different, I assume they are not the same today with computerized leveling systems.

VB 1570
Old 08-27-2012

Hi Markus, since my incident HWH told my so called mechanic that these were not available anymore then a week later two showed up at his garage that I quickly installed. i don't know if you have taken them apart but while not under pressure they will unscrew from the top of the cylinder, there is just a plastic plunger in there that presses a switch when in the up position closing it to signal the jack is up. Perhaps the spring is broken or the interior switch replaced. I don't know where mine came from so sorry not much help. The unit appears to be one piece machined alumiuium but if you try to remove it and it breaks ( I doubt it will) they are pretty stout, you won't be any worse off just plug the threaded hole with pipe plug, looks to be about 1". Then you can find a replacement repair. By the way I stopped at HWH on my present trip ( now in Pacifica Ca.) and had all my seals replaced and jacks rebuilt, total cost $900.00.
87 PT-40
Old 08-27-2012
Forum owner

I bet we can make a new switch.
Or,should i say "i bet Ryan can build a new switch".

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-27-2012

Switch works, I broke or bent the housing so it leaks.
VB 1570
Old 08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufftoni View Post
Hi Markus, since my incident HWH told my so called mechanic that these were not available anymore then a week later two showed up at his garage that I quickly installed. i don't know if you have taken them apart but while not under pressure they will unscrew from the top of the cylinder, there is just a plastic plunger in there that presses a switch when in the up position closing it to signal the jack is up. Perhaps the spring is broken or the interior switch replaced. I don't know where mine came from so sorry not much help. The unit appears to be one piece machined alumiuium but if you try to remove it and it breaks ( I doubt it will) they are pretty stout, you won't be any worse off just plug the threaded hole with pipe plug, looks to be about 1". Then you can find a replacement repair. By the way I stopped at HWH on my present trip ( now in Pacifica Ca.) and had all my seals replaced and jacks rebuilt, total cost $900.00.
Robert - do you happen to have a part number handy?
VB 1570