Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-29-2014

Default Rear vision camera

My original monitor is dead rip. I am looking for a replacement system. I know the technology is changing daily I have some questions . Will a wire less system work in a forty foot bus? If not what is a good color replacement system? Any input would help as I am not a electronics wizard. Thanks Dennis
Old 09-29-2014

You'll get lots of replies ;}

I picked up a cheap LCD monitor and camera from Amazon, reused the old wires and am pretty happy.

IIRC, the total cost was less than $50

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 09-29-2014

Swapped out original with 2 view color camera & monitor a couple of years ago - used original wiring with adapters - Leviathan Holdings on ebay.

I still have a couple of original cameras and a questionable monitor if you are thinking of staying with original stuff. Can bring to WOG - please advise
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 09-29-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

My original back-up camera now feeds into my double-DIN Pioneer dashboard system. I have a big bonus space where the old monitor was

So, if you also happen to want a new dashboard stereo, a lot of the double-DIN sizes have a display and phono jack inputs for video. The original camera feed to the monitor is coax, simple to convert to a phono jack. You get to keep the old camera and wire.

The '91 dashboard probably needs a little reshaping to accommodate a double-DIN sized radio.
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-29-2014

If changing only one piece be sure that the item you choose is compatible with the other. Some systems use the camera to reverse the image while others use the monitor. If you end up with two pieces that both reverse the image the result will be an image that is not reversed and "backwards" of an image seen in a rear view mirror. New monitors are so thin now that then can be easily adapted to cover the hole from the old monitor. I'd change out both as the 24 year old units are very outdated. Electronics, computers and dogs all have the same aging factor! The 24 equals 168 in dog years!
Old 09-29-2014
Senior Moments

My prior owner, put in one of those wireless cameras and monitors. (Used the Fog fan power for the camera, so you can switch it on and off at the driver chair).
Works well, was a cheap and easy solution. The only complaint I have is that the screen is so small (about 2 inches) that it's very hard to see any detail.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 09-29-2014

FWIW I used this one and mounted the monitor on the dash so I could see it through reading glasses. Had to run a new cable, but I am happy with it. http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...FUoF7AodYXgAZQ
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 09-29-2014

What is DIN? Sorry but I am technically illiterate with all these new gizmos. I too am wanting to update this system but would like a bigger screen, option to plug in a GPS and switch from GPS to rear camera. Also wanting extra cameras that go along the side of the bus. Is that doable? Want to use the old coax cable so I don't have to run a new one.
Kansas, Il

Last edited by ejallison1; 09-29-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-29-2014
Senior Moments

I don't know what DIN stands for exactly, but it is a standardized measurement of radio 'thickness' All after-market radios/cd players are either single DIN (which is the dash board thickness of an older standard radio), or they are Double DIN, which is twice the opening, and has room for computerized things like satelite radio, or back up cameras, or GPS navigation.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 09-29-2014

I also used Leviathan - he has had great service for the times I have needed it. Priced fairly too.

The only thing I wish I had was a camera that would pan up and down so I could see both the hitch and then behind the Toad. Dunno if he sells those but Weldex has them.