Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2016

You're not being sensitive to the belt and suspenders crowd.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-06-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
You're not being sensitive to the belt and suspenders crowd.
I worry about the spare tire on my jeep being flat if i need it,i should check the date on that spare,it may be a 2005.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-07-2016

The question I tried to address was how to stop a run away.
One could use the knowledge that a plugged return line could stop an engine as one more reason for a non starting engine. (the example I cited of the fuel injected gasoline powered car)
A more important question would have been: under what circumstances could a run away occur? Each fuel system would have a different answer for that. A call to your local diesel fuel injection shop would provide the answer. Then you could take care that you never let that circumstance occur. Like Randy said it almost never happens. I am thinking a run away ONLY occurs when somebody did something they should not have, like the example I cited of the Stanedyne pump cutoff solenoid installed backwards.
I had a look under my PT 40 today trying to find the return line and the very idea of crawling under there with a two ton two stroke diesel engine screaming out of control was pretty terrifying!
I am thinking I would rather loosen the lid on the Racor filter to create a quick massive air leak instead and hope for the best. lol
Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-07-2016

You guys got me thinking of Del Shannon.
Old 08-07-2016
Forum owner

Back in the old days we pinched off the return line to make more HP.
Thats why truckers carried Vise Grips.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-07-2016
Chegment

Default CO2 stops runaway

Well I'm totally exasperated with the governor. After completely renovating the fuel delivery system with new filters hoses, new fresh fuel etc etc, I tried a start. I had the wife at the ready with our trusty new CO2 extinguisher. Went through a little job training as to what to do when I say "hit it". We go for a start.
Off it goes with a roar, I'm screaming hit it, hit it and she's standing there frozen with eyes as big as a light house light. I grab the extinguisher from her and shoot the gas into the intake. It took a couple of shots but the engine came to a stop. Right now I'm pretty much discouraged with the governor but proud of my level headed coolness and control with the wife. Need to take a day or two off.
Connecticut 06089
Old 08-07-2016

Had a racing trans customer once, had to do strange things to the transmission shift arm, felt his issue was the only one in the world that way. He found reverse at the finish line not once.....but twice. That would be two top end crash's in a 8 second dragster. He just couldn't leave it alone and use it as designed.
This deal reminds me of that experience.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-07-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
Well I'm totally exasperated with the governor. After completely renovating the fuel delivery system with new filters hoses, new fresh fuel etc etc, I tried a start. I had the wife at the ready with our trusty new CO2 extinguisher. Went through a little job training as to what to do when I say "hit it". We go for a start.
Off it goes with a roar, I'm screaming hit it, hit it and she's standing there frozen with eyes as big as a light house light. I grab the extinguisher from her and shoot the gas into the intake. It took a couple of shots but the engine came to a stop. Right now I'm pretty much discouraged with the governor but proud of my level headed coolness and control with the wife. Need to take a day or two off.
If you are describing a run away, you and wife are very lucky,
There is some good advice in this thread, during your days rest reread this thread from the first post before someone gets hurt.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=26247
Old 08-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
I promise this will be the last time I say this on this thread. Let someone who know what they are
Doing fix your pump!

You keep messing with it your going to get hurt, hurt your engine, or injure someone else. Please
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-07-2016
Forum owner

I wonder what that Co2 does to the pistons?
Was it vapor co2 or liquid?

Theres nothing like a runaway engine to get your heart beating!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com