Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 07-19-2019

Welcome Matt. There are many Class 8 Truck shops in North Little Rock and of courses the normal truck parts stores. There was an old school shop on the east side of town named Glovers. They have been in business for decades. Just off I 440.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-19-2019

Let me insert this: My FC 35 has a much larger custom radiator and cac w/full exhaust system blankets. Last time over the Rockies, temp was @ 205+ about 90f outside temp. Problem is no air flow around those FC engine rooms.
Left the manifold blankets off the 31', thinking it might help air circulation, of course that engine has less hp, never a dull moment.
Probably a good plan to keep the top of the radiator sealed from the top to bottom of cowl, make that air go thru the core, not around.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 07-19-2019

I went ahead and replaced the thermostats; it did have 180 degree thermostats installed, but there were an old part number that changes to a newer number; so I suspect these were in there for a while. Also, the coolant was a bit more concentrated than I’d like for hot ambient temperatures. I replaced the coolant which I thoroughly drained with new Cat coolant; not ELC. I mixed it at a slightly lower ratio and got the concentration I wanted. I’ve been running now for about two hours and am maintaining a solid 190-195 temperature.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 07-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmarinediesel View Post
I went ahead and replaced the thermostats; it did have 180 degree thermostats installed, but there were an old part number that changes to a newer number; so I suspect these were in there for a while. Also, the coolant was a bit more concentrated than I’d like for hot ambient temperatures. I replaced the coolant which I thoroughly drained with new Cat coolant; not ELC. I mixed it at a slightly lower ratio and got the concentration I wanted. I’ve been running now for about two hours and am maintaining a solid 190-195 temperature.
Amazing how fast you were able to perform the replacement. Do you have to take off the front grill to get at them? My coolant is full and I don't think that it was a belt as they are new and the gauge didn't register at all. I'd love to talk if you have a moment as none of the local shops have been able to help yet.

Thanks,
Matt
480-797-6363

Matt Walsh
Scottsdale, AZ
1982 33-FC RB (7/2019-current)
Old 07-19-2019

One of the previous owners installed a swing radiator retrofit which makes the radiator swing out like a door. It also helps that I’m a mechanic; I also have a lot of tools on board.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 07-19-2019

Not a 12 volt issue to the gauge?
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 07-19-2019

Update for my dead gauge:

Rick gave me a call and offered some great advice to buy the infrared meter and what my concerns should be going forward. Believe me when I say that I would never even have considered purchasing a high maintenance item like a Wanderlodge without such a friendly support and knowledge based forum. I will be donating to the WOG to ensure that it stays that way.

That said, after I hung up with him I gave the gauge a few more hard flicks with my finger and it started working again. Problem temporarily fixed. They won't all be like that but it was a funny experience for the first one.

Randy, if you have any old water temp gauges lets talk.

All the Best,
Matt

Matt Walsh
Scottsdale, AZ
1982 33-FC RB (7/2019-current)

Last edited by Cardiomonster; 07-19-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: just 'cause
Old 07-19-2019

One of the previous owners installed a swing radiator retrofit which makes the radiator swing out like a door.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 07-19-2019

Retrofits sometimes miss it with fan shroud design or adjustment. I have seen fan blases installed backwards as well. One other missed area is circulation airflow at idle or in a pusher, the effect of the long mudflaps
. Every little muffed hack adds up to compramise the cooling system. The 450lxi genset move has a cooling system plagued with muffed retrofit hacks
I would go over the cooling install right down to hose size and fittings