Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-29-2020

Can't say I blame him for that.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-29-2020

His web site states in the FAQs, no electronic engines. I’ve talked to him in person about my Lx. Said he be glad to work on everything but the engine. Busgreasemonkey.com. I’m not that well heeled. He also said for 50$ a month we could FaceTime on his schedule. He’s a good guy and made a name for himself with his hard work. It looks like he won’t be so mobile soon as he is building a shop in Tennessee. Have to go to him. His son is doing mobile work too, but only in the Midwest. I’m happy with his videos. They are a wealth of information.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835

Last edited by ChrisRasman; 01-29-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2020

Regarding Pinkbirds engine, How can the engine be that full of water, for so long, and NOT get water in the oil pan ??? I expected the crankcase to be full too.
Old 01-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Troit View Post
Regarding Pinkbirds engine, How can the engine be that full of water, for so long, and NOT get water in the oil pan ??? I expected the crankcase to be full too.
wondering that myself.
Old 01-29-2020

Maybe there was just enough water to stick one of the pistons to the liner. I am sure the airbox drains may have taken a lot of water out before it all got to the pan.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 01-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch44875 View Post
Thanks for the tip! That looks like a real good one. I just called the company and their price was competitive so I ordered it

I'm an electrical engineer and I have actually worked for a company that made the microcontrollers for the GM cruise control, and another one that made the Ford ECU's for a long time. So I am quite familiar with engine electronics. You saw the 1959 Edsel in the video, I swapped in an EFI engine from a motorhome and made it all work.

The issue is that these controllers still have a ton of proprietary programming , and often electrical problems in the wiring harness are intermittent and tough to diagnose on the roadside. It's worse for these buses because less people have reverse engineeered them and they have about 25 miles of wires in them. I have a DDEC code reader, that helps.

Fitting a mechanical 8V92 would not be hard but making all the instrument cluster stuff work properly would be a real drag. So I decided to go with the flow and just order this one. As far as I know the 93-94 both had the 500HP 8V92's. If this has a different DDEC I'll just swap the electronics over.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Randy had mentioned in the “watching the grease monkey thread” about a wreaked Bird in MN that had a new or rebuilt engine in it, but he didn’t have time to track it down. That sounds like your best bet unless you can find another DDEC. Nice new building sorry for your bad luck with your bird. Gotta say your sons Jeep is my favorite of your vehicles, what the story on that.
Thanks for the kind words!
We definitely had this sinking "if only we had known.." .. but like I told my wife, it's kind of like blaming yourself for not buying Amazon stock in 1997. If only you had known at the time, but you didn't, so no sense in spending too much time fretting over it.

I just ordered a complete 8V92 engine for $3500 from the 1994 Wanderlodge linked above so it should be a drop in replacement. That will be the fastest way to get it going again. I may just try to get this one going but even if it does it will be compromised and I'll keep the replacement engine safely in the shop.

I bought that Jeep for Christmas 2018. It has a 125cc gas engine. Manual 3spd forward and reverse. We have 43 acres and I build my own roads. We live down miles and miles of dirt roads so when we visit friends and neighbors I let him drive down the back roads. So yea he drives a lot actually
Old 01-29-2020

You have got to figure out where that water came in. There's no way it just filled up with rain water through the stack. No way. There's a blow-out valve that uses air pressure to purge the water lines in the bus out, maybe that failed and backfed water into the air system, and then pushed up through the compressor into the air intake and then turbo/blower/air boxes?
Old 01-29-2020
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
You have got to figure out where that water came in. There's no way it just filled up with rain water through the stack. No way. There's a blow-out valve that uses air pressure to purge the water lines in the bus out, maybe that failed and backfed water into the air system, and then pushed up through the compressor into the air intake and then turbo/blower/air boxes?
You are so smart!!
(thats exactly what i said)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-29-2020

You're thinking the water came from the fresh water through the blowout valve through the air system through the air compressor into the intake?