Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 02-11-2020

We go to Europe twice a year, Greece for one. I've looked into renting a van.
it's not that bad, and the few campgrounds we have found are nice, and you can also park anywhere and spend a few night's, at least in Greece.
We will more then likely do it this year, I'll let you know how it work's out
Old 02-11-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHarris View Post
I have checked -- shipping is not TOO bad (unless you count the cost of the Divorce THIS crazy idea will surely entail)… Has anyone ever "done" Europe in a Wanderlodge? In particular, ours is an FC-33, so small and low-tech.

It is in comparison to the HUGE cost of rentals for tiny little Campervans that makes me think about this...Our FC has everything we need already...is a known commodity mechanically, has space we are used to, etc.

Would a small FC be able to manage most of the roads?

What about Insurance?

Any "Gotchas" that makes this not just a CRAZY Idea, but an impossible one...
Dan , When you done let me know and I would be willing to purchase or rent from you

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 02-11-2020
tintent

Dan I worked in Scotland for a time we traveled by bus every day . a full sized coach 96 wide . Stewart was our wheel Man he would say " its all behind ya lad " I would grab shotgun because no one else wanted it . their was always an inch or two to spare
Old 02-11-2020
Gardner

The streets are narrow in italy, less cars but lots of bicycles and scooters

78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-11-2020

We lived in France 30 years ago, and shipped our motorcycle over to Europe last year. Most campgrounds are on the outside od towns on bus roots.
I think it is a great idea.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-11-2020
RV Appraiser

I think your coach would be great just about anywhere in Europe. I just got back from Germany in late November and none of the roads we traveled I thought were too narrow for our WB. I just wished we had it over there. If you ship your bus you will most likely depart from Charleston, SC and port in Amsterdam. As Randy said there are a couple birds over there now, outside of fuel being expensive, you should be able to get just about anything you need. No toad, no problem Uber is just about anywhere and cheap too. In Germany trains and buses along the same route was one fee all day, very cheap & easy travel.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 02-11-2020

Default RVing In Europe: Blogs, Links & Useful Resources - Wheelingit.us

Nina’s awesome Wheelingit.us blog was my #1 favorite when her and Paul were doing the US. Sadly (for us) a couple years ago, they sold everything and moved to France. Since then they’ve been traveling in a coach they bought over “there” and I know you’ll find the rest of her blog to be extremely useful:

https://wheelingit.us/2019/10/13/rvi...ful-resources/

Back in the 80’s I was stationed in England for 3 years and toured around Europe in a 4-wheel drive Toyota PU with a small cab over camper. It was a blast! That midget “RV” was definitely an attention getter because it was bigger than everything else on the road except tour buses and commercial trucks. I don’t know how Andy does it with his M380! Everything in Europe is smaller for a reason, fuel prices being just one factor. Would never even think of taking ours across the pond. A far better plan IMO would be to rent or buy (depending on how long you intend to stay) one like Nina & Paul’s . There are several Buy-Back companies listed in her links.

Lastly and either way, if you go through with your plan I’m certain we’d all love to hear about it!

Added: Clicked on a link (for obvious reasons) in Nina’s blog named “Wandering Bird”. While it has nothing to do with BB’s, it covers exactly the details about doing what you describe. Looks pretty complicated, whichever way you go! Check it out: https://www.wandering-bird.com/europe-road-trip-tips/

Last edited by NoGas; 02-11-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2020

Been 20 years but I spent a bit of time in Italy while in the Marines. At one time we needed extra people licensed to drive a bus so I got one. Didnt think I'd ever use it. I ended up being the only one licensed so I became the default driver of a 44 (?) Passenger bus. Mainly back and forth to chow. Then the main road were fine but stuff in the cities was way iffy.. there were areas where the bus would not fit and you had to back out.
If you stayed on the main roads and out of the smaller cities I bet you'd be fine.
Getting that license was one of the best things I did... I got to go to breakfast, lunch and dinner twice a day. On an Air Force base to boot.... Best eatin I had my entire time in the Marines.
Old 02-11-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
Been 20 years but I spent a bit of time in Italy while in the Marines. At one time we needed extra people licensed to drive a bus so I got one. Didnt think I'd ever use it. I ended up being the only one licensed so I became the default driver of a 44 (?) Passenger bus. Mainly back and forth to chow. Then the main road were fine but stuff in the cities was way iffy.. there were areas where the bus would not fit and you had to back out.
If you stayed on the main roads and out of the smaller cities I bet you'd be fine.
Getting that license was one of the best things I did... I got to go to breakfast, lunch and dinner twice a day. On an Air Force base to boot.... Best eatin I had my entire time in the Marines.

I don't want to hijack this thread but those AF guys had it made about everywhere you went. In the 60s I was stationed at Sukiran on Okinawa and our EM Club was a s**t hole. So we used to go to Kadena A.B. to the EM Club because it was nicer than the officers club at Sukiran White table cloths, linen no less, cushioned chairs at the round tables with center pieces, and the food was the best. We had the long folding tables, no table cloths, and folding metal chairs and not much more than hamburgers and hotdogs.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-12-2020

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. DO IT. DON'T DO IT. It is all so clear to me now! ;-) seriously... some very good comments and suggestions to consider. I think we COULD do this, but would need to sort out electric. Mechanical difficulty, parts, mechanics, etc. Are always a consideration, but so far the reliability of our old bird has been excellent compared to newer ones, sprinters, etc. It is DEFINITELY cheaper than rental even considering RO-RO shipping if we go for 90 days or more (which we definitely would).
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us