Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-13-2012

Default Building a new Bird Nest

I am in the process of building a new bird nest. I have bought some property next to me, had a old house torn down and tomorrow a concrete company is coming to bust up the old slab. I am going to build a 60 long by 40 wide by approximately 20 high building. I am a fat boy from the south and have a difficult time getting under my bird so I am going to have built in this building a 40 foot long pit. My question is I am trying to figure how to build in the pit a rolling Jack system that I can use to pull transmissions etc. Does any one out there have a idea about this or have you seen something in a repair shop??
Thanks
Les Collets Rouge
Old 03-13-2012

Yeah I always have an IDEA but recent feedback on my last project leads me to believe we all might be better off if I mind my own business
Thanx anyway for activating some dormant brain cells
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-13-2012

KC I don't know what you're complaining about. You didn't get spanked or told you need to get some fresh air. The day isn't over yet.

Help the fellow with the building I understand you have a great one.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-13-2012
pgchd

The last time I worked in a PIT was 45 years ago!!!! Here is what I remember from then and a few other threads when the subject of pits came up:
- Depending on the state you are in,building a pit can be a BIG PAIN or really easy due to local building codes or lack of there of.Ventilation, structure, drainage blah, blah , blah so you'll need some local help to determine where your state fits into the PAIN category.
- The pit was shorter in length than the building so you had flooring on it if you
wanted to use conventional tools and jacks
- IN the pit we used those tall floor/jack stands and each side of the pit has steel channels that a " steel roller assembly setup/ grate" fit on to use conventional floor jacks.mount the tool on the steel roller assembly......roll in the channel........push to the end off the channel (channel tapered to roll onto the covered concrete floor or into the channel) or move the bus to expose the deal.
FWIW if it was me, I'd build the building higher and get a bus lift from Grey mfg or some other professional company. But that is me....good luck!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2012

Ideas here?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotary-RJ600...-/260474700563

or
http://www.garageequipmentdirect.co....en-uk/d17.html
Old 03-13-2012

I will appreciate any advice. This is the rural south. Very little building codes. Drainage is perfect. The price of the pit is an additional 5 grand. On a law Enforcement Officers salary a taller building and a Lift system is out of the question. I am cutting corners on the Building to make the pit happen.
Les Collets Rouge
Old 03-13-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmccaskey View Post
I will appreciate any advice. This is the rural south. Very little building codes. Drainage is perfect. The price of the pit is an additional 5 grand. On a law Enforcement Officers salary a taller building and a Lift system is out of the question. I am cutting corners on the Building to make the pit happen.
Matthew,

As many would say just for clarity, be aware of collective toxic fume possibilities in a pit if you are not aware already?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 03-13-2012

Especially after Uncle Leroy's extry-specshul chili!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 03-13-2012
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmccaskey View Post
As another L.E. Officer who is a Bird Fan...I am considering a 20 foot by 36 inches pit with steps at one end. I will only work on one end at a time, and the fuel tank takes up the middle 8 feet of the coach. I want 3 feet of pit outside the Bird's bumper so I can climb out.

It will be outside behind my shop with drains and recesses for work lights (which will not be permanent). I plan to drill 8 inch piers every 5 feet in the side walls (5 on each side) with rebar (or I-beams ?) to support the concrete walls and a 6 inch concrete floor with a recessed drain and sump pump.

I will use 3 inch channel facing up lengthwise on the edges to (1) direct water to the end of the pit and (2) to provide tracks for the sliding panels and sliding drain tank. Those tracks will extend 3 feet beyond the top step. The panels will be steel galvanized grates about 3' by 3' (depending on whether a 66 year old Blister can lift them), or have them slide over each other.

Of course it will be available for the WOG guys coming through Texas!!
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 03-13-2012

Matt,
Think about raising crawfish in the pit when the bus is out of the way.
That way you can get farm plates for it.