Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-16-2012
GARY,M

Default waste dump switchs

in my photo album i posted a pic of the switch that activates the waste gate to the black and gray tank. theres accually two switches.
mine was leaking air pretty bad so i tore them apart and replaced the o rings [3] and they now work fine.the switches are made by clippard, part #mjtv-4 and are about 35.00 dollars apiece .in order to buy the o-rings i had to buy 25 o-rings. much cheaper then the switch .i have enough o-rings to rebuilt 6 more. if anybody needs some i have them.
Old 05-16-2012

Hi Gary when I get home from this trip i want to rebuild my dump air switches, I would love to have the proper o rings, let me know how much and i will send you cash, Thanks Robert
87 PT-40
Old 05-16-2012
GARY,M

message me and i will give u the address.im not charging for them .when there gone there gone.
Old 05-16-2012

PM sent. Thanks Gary
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-27-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY,M View Post
in my photo album i posted a pic of the switch that activates the waste gate to the black and gray tank. theres accually two switches.
mine was leaking air pretty bad so i tore them apart and replaced the o rings [3] and they now work fine.
One of my waste dump switches has started leaking air pressure. Especially in the "Close" position, it really leaks but I can sorta make it stop by putting a little upward pressure on the toggle. But then it starts again as soon as I let up.

Thanks for posting the pic/description--it looks like I could service the o-rings by unscrewing the plug/spring from the switch, instead of taking the switch/valve and its mounting plate out of the bay. I'll try it today, hopefully will be taking the the shaft with the o-rings to an autoparts store this afternoon.

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-27-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

I did take out the shaft with o-rings, but had to release the mounting plate from the ceiling of the bay to do it--not much simpler than removing the switch, but I didn't have to disconnect the air lines. These o-rings are smaller than anything in the kits carried by autoparts, hardware stores, etc. Found something with potential in a bicycle shop, but while the shaft-size hole is about right, the donut is too big to fit back in the valve.

I'm going to try reversing the shaft in the valve body, on the assumption that reversing it will mean it only leak air pressure when the valve switch is in the open position, as it does now when it is closed.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-28-2012

Just switch the air lines. Worked for me to change the leak.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-28-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

I found the inside of the valve to be lubricated, like a little bit wet with light oil. This is a good thing for o-rings sliding in the metal body of the valve, but I wonder if it is a previous owner's "Marvel Mystery Oil-in the air system" remedy or a localized maintenance lubing of the valve. Seems like air passing through the system would blow light oil out pretty quickly. For o-rings I would ordinarily use a thin film of vaseline, but concerned that jelly (or oil, for that matter) could attract grit through the air exhaust ports. Lube/frequency advice?
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-28-2012
Forum owner

The factory used Magnalube to lube up the o-rings.
Clippard,not BB.
Magalube is a grease,green in color.
No idea if its man made or petro grease.
I would not use vaseoline,i would use plumbers grease.
Magnalube is not easy to get.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-28-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

Thanks for the tips, guys. I dug around and learned a little bit more about Magnalube and o-ring lubes in general, shared below for your leisure:

Magnalube makes two greases--a lithium soap base and petroleum (parafin) base--both with PTFE (Teflon) additives. Magnalube "G" is the parafin-based grease, appears to be bluish in color, if the one photo I found of it is accurate. Magnalube "GX" is the lithium grease.

They're both thick enough not to flow at any temps the waste dump switches would normally see. The lithium grease would make sense if the application was already using lithium grease (wouldn't want to mix grease types) but some lithium greases are said to be vulnerable to breakdown where water is a factor. To be on the safe side, the parafinnic grease is the one I would choose, against the chance of moisture in the air system. $6.50 for .75 Oz tube seems to be the standard price for the parafin grease, from Magnalube on the web or Amazon, to name a few. Lots of web sites touting it as a gun lube these days (it protets better than gun oil becuse it won't flow off of lubed surfaces the way oils do).

I borrowed some text about o-ring lubes from McMaster-Carr:

-------------------
O-Ring Lubricants
Apply directly to O-rings to prevent drying and cracking, which will extend O-ring service life. These products are compliant under all state VOC rules in effect on October 1, 2010.

Dow Corning Molykote 55—For use on most rubbers. Not recommended for use on silicone rubber, polycarbonate, or ABS thermoplastic. (note: it performs down to -85F)

Food Grade—Compatible with most O-rings and seals. NSF registered H1 for applications with incidental food contact.

Barium Based—Use with silicone rubber O-rings and seals in open systems.

Silicone—Use with virtually any rubber polymer including Buna-N and neoprene.

---------------

I haven't seen any info specifically about the lithium- or parafin-based grease compatibility with rubber. In the interest of 0-ring longevity and because I read it somewhere, I'll point out that lube oils that were extracted and purified with solvents can be detrimental to some plastics and maybe rubber. Seems there will always be some residual solvent in the lube. Taken with a grain of salt (since I don't remember where I read that), there's this to consider:

From the Magnalube MSDS:

------------------
The petroleum base oils contained in this product have been highly refined by a variety of processes including:
Solvent extraction, solvent dewaxing and hydrotreating to remove aromatics and improve performance characteristics.
-------------------

This might be a consideration if sourcing o-rings from other than Clippard. For Clippard's chosen o-rings, I just hope they know what they're doing using Magnalube, dammit.
Full-time in 2019