Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 07-25-2012

Default Converting to Wet Hubs

I have decided to start a new thread on this subject. I am in the process of planning to repack the front wheel bearings on my 83FC. My Bird has the greased wheel bearings. I understand other birds of the same era have wet bath hubs where the hub holds a level of gear oil in lieu of the greased packed wheel bearings.

From what I can tell, the bearings and the hubs are identical. My questions to the WOG are: 1. Has anyone converted to the wet hub set up? What are the advantages? Are the seals different between the two hub types? Any other good pieces of advise on this subject?

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 07-25-2012

Default Can be done.

Tim,
Long ago and far away in a previous life, when I drove schoolies and worked in the bus garage, we did convert our Bird front wheel bearings to oil bath.
We got kits to do it either through NAPA or our Blue Bird distributor. One of the major reasons for doing this was, at that time, Timken would guarantee their bearings for many, many more miles if run in oil than if grease packed.
Dave

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 07-25-2012

Not sure if the seals are the same, but you probably can get what you need from Stemco. Might be worth a call.

www.stemco.com

Their stuff is also available at ryderfleetproducts.com

Lots of Stemco hubs and seals on Ebay as well.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-25-2012

Who manufactures the front axle for the 83FC? I am trying to match these to the Stemco part numbers?

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 07-25-2012

Default Wet front wheel bearings

I had this done on my 1980 FC 35 four years ago. Four months later the front of the hub started leaking. I contacted Stemco and they advised me that the reason for this was heat from a possible bearing failure. I took the wheels and drums off and the truck repair shop that installed the Stemco seals and kit must not have checked the bearings because they were indeed failing. I replaced the bearings with a new set on both sides. Cost per side was about $60.00 for Timken bearings. Stemco also recommends replacing the seal behind the bearings each time you take this apart, the cost for this is just over $10.00 each. It takes a special tool to install the new seal. I have the tool and would loan it to you.

I have had not any problems since then, at least 15,000 miles. The oil level is easy to check and I had to add oil only once.

The front axle on my 1980 FC 35 is Rockwell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Bearing 001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	17592  
Old 07-25-2012

Looks good does it work on a 78BB? all INFO would be great as most of use need to work /up-date are BB's. If you have someone to help please help with all models Any part ,#s & ALL!!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 07-25-2012

I am fairly sure that the axle on a 78 would be the same as my 1980. When I removed the bearings I took them to a truck parts house and they had them on the shelve including the Stemco seal.
Old 07-25-2012

Thank you: I think the parts store I use just went out of business. So I need to find a new store.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
I had this done on my 1980 FC 35 four years ago. Four months later the front of the hub started leaking. I contacted Stemco and they advised me that the reason for this was heat from a possible bearing failure. I took the wheels and drums off and the truck repair shop that installed the Stemco seals and kit must not have checked the bearings because they were indeed failing. I replaced the bearings with a new set on both sides. Cost per side was about $60.00 for Timken bearings. Stemco also recommends replacing the seal behind the bearings each time you take this apart, the cost for this is just over $10.00 each. It takes a special tool to install the new seal. I have the tool and would loan it to you.

I have had not any problems since then, at least 15,000 miles. The oil level is easy to check and I had to add oil only once.

The front axle on my 1980 FC 35 is Rockwell.
Lucas,

This is good info. I am going to change the seal anyways if I were to convert the hub or repack the existing bearing with grease. I saw on the Napa website a couple of seal install tools that were related to the wet bath type seal. They were in the $30 range. I don't mind collecting tools.

I will see what other info pops up on this thread. So far I am leaning towards converting the hub.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 07-26-2012
Black Sheep Division

Arrow

When I got out of the trucking business back in the '80s, they were in the middle of converting from grease pack to oil bath bearings. I converted a bunch on them on trucks. At that time, the seals were different. I think most highway use vehicles are oil l bath now, & the seals will work with either application. The seal manufacturer should have the specs available for whatever you buy. Remember, the oil level should be to the "LINE" or "OIL" mark on the glass, NOT to the oil fill hole. Also, they should be checked on level ground, after the vehicle has set several hours to allow the oil level to equalize. Many so called seal failure leaks are the result of an over filled axle housing.

TOM