Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-25-2012
Senior Moments

Default Toad, Towed, Dingey, and that Car tailgating.

Once I find the perfect bird for me, I will be towing a 2010 Suzuki, Grand Vitara. I have the baseplate on order and will install it. I will need to tap into the wiring, but will probably pay someone to do that, so I don't screw something up.

BUT... I'm wondering about auxiliary braking for the 'Zuki. Grand Vitaras weigh in right around 3,500 lbs. Following a 16-Ton Bird that's about 10% of the bus weight... Where should I put the purchase of the Aux Braking device? Is it a must have, nice to have, or waste of money? I guess State law controls here, and if you have an accident, you'll probably be in deep kimshee if you don't have braking. Right?

And if it's a must have, what systems do you ex-spurts prefer? I was thinking a Brake Buddy type removable system, but some say removing and installing is a pain in the back-side.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 08-25-2012

good questions John. We're contemplating buying a toad and have the same questions. Thanks, Dan
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Emu View Post
Once I find the perfect bird for me, I will be towing a 2010 Suzuki, Grand Vitara. I have the baseplate on order and will install it. I will need to tap into the wiring, but will probably pay someone to do that, so I don't screw something up.

BUT... I'm wondering about auxiliary braking for the 'Zuki. Grand Vitaras weigh in right around 3,500 lbs. Following a 16-Ton Bird that's about 10% of the bus weight... Where should I put the purchase of the Aux Braking device? Is it a must have, nice to have, or waste of money? I guess State law controls here, and if you have an accident, you'll probably be in deep kimshee if you don't have braking. Right?

And if it's a must have, what systems do you ex-spurts prefer? I was thinking a Brake Buddy type removable system, but some say removing and installing is a pain in the back-side.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Check out the M&G site http://m-gengineering.com/ also http://www.smibrake.com/air-force-one.html best on the market IMO.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 08-25-2012
Senior Moments

I read the State towing laws, and my State of Domicile will be South Dakota, it appears that brakes are required if the toad is over 3,000 lbs. SO...looks like it's a "Must Have" to be legal.

Now, what system should I pop for?

John & Aleda Ellsworth
Old 08-25-2012

I use the brake buddy type. I got it cheap and it works fine and isn't a big deal to put in and take out. I suppose it takes about 1 minute in including the testing and 30 seconds to take out.

The air systems are much easier than that but how easy do you need it? If money is no object get one of the air systems. If you are trying to do it cheaply get the brake buddy type. Both are great and the air system would be easier. I don't have the air system so hopefully someone will weigh in on all the advantages.

Honestly you don't know the towed is back there without one, but you should try to stay legal.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-25-2012

What Dan said. Can you flat tow the grand vitara?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-25-2012
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
What Dan said. Can you flat tow the grand vitara?
The Grand Vitara (at least for 2010) comes in several models. ONE of the options is a 4x4 transfer case with a true neutral. *IF* you have the transfer case you can place the Grand Vitara in a true neutral which completely disconnects the drive train from the transmission and engine.

According to the owners manual, once the transfer case has been placed in neutral the Grand Vitara can be towed 4-down with out restrictions.

I purchased this vehicle in 2010 with the specific plan in mind that it would be our toad behind our motorhome. In those days the wife was on board with an extended full-time lifestyle. My...how times change in a couple of short years.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
Old 08-25-2012

It is the law in many states to have a toad braking system, I did purchase the top of the line brake buddy with remote and used it about 10 times before i got my trailer. This is a little premature but I am selling my brake buddy system, my 08 jeep wrangler, and my 22 ft trailer end of the year. I will post when all are available with pictures. I think if i were just towing a toad I would go with the brake buddy as it has worked flawlessly for me and a very easy hookup. Others here on the forum have used other methods that work for them and I'm sure will offer very useful advise.
87 PT-40
Old 08-25-2012

the brake buddy type are easy to use easy to store and easy to sell if you move on...those with remote operation don't need any wiring to speak of....guess its a personal choice you have to make, its it just about being legal.. price used systems on e bay good deals show up there now and again
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-25-2012

There are lots of ways to do this. None wrong. You've got the horse before the cart literally but at least we know your serious now.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold