Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-11-2014

Default 1985 FC SB Sending Unit Location & Fuel Issues

I have been battling fuel issues and the info available on this forum has been a tremendous help. Thanks to all who contribute!

Using that info I have come up with the following troubleshooting/project list:

1) I am replacing my existing Racor system with a brand new unit, which arrived today, along with new filters of course. In preparation for what I have in store, I've stocked up on filters.

The previous owner disconnected the line going to the Racor gauge. I've replaced that line and once the new Racor is installed my filtration should be fully operational, gauge and all.

2) My mechanic recommended I install an additional, standard, spin-off fuel filter in front of the new Racor. His thought being that the spin-offs are easier to change and will catch some of the gunk before clogging up the Racor. Just something to provide one more step in the filtration process. Any thoughts on this?

3) Yesterday I drained 150 gallons of 2-week old fuel from the tank. It looked terrible! Very dark and loaded with gunk. It was just as I've read on here many times. The drain plug was removed, but no fuel came out until we poked through all of the gunk that was clogging the drain. It's easy to see why I'm having issues...

4) Since my fuel gauge is inoperable, today I located and removed the sending unit. It seems locating the sending units can be tricky, so I have attached a photo of the location for future reference for anyone with an '85 FC SB.

I've also attached a photo of the sending unit. It's trashed! It has a hole in it, is full of fuel and clogged with gunk. I'll of course replace this with a new one.

With the sending unit removed I could see into the tank. Whoa! It's loaded with black goop. I'm going to flush the tank from the sending unit hole, and also from the fuel input. My plan is to flush out the majority of the goop in hopes of minimizing the likelihood of changing filters every 25-miles.

5) I have also rented a camera that will allow me to see into the tank before and after it's been flushed.

Here's hoping this gets my back on the road and not on the side of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sending Unit 1985 FC SB.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	29436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Location of sending unit 1985 FC SB.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	29437  
"Uncaged"
Old 06-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds View Post
I have been battling fuel issues and the info available on this forum has been a tremendous help. Thanks to all who contribute!

Using that info I have come up with the following troubleshooting/project list:

1) I am replacing my existing Racor system with a brand new unit, which arrived today, along with new filters of course. In preparation for what I have in store, I've stocked up on filters.

The previous owner disconnected the line going to the Racor gauge. I've replaced that line and once the new Racor is installed my filtration should be fully operational, gauge and all.

2) My mechanic recommended I install an additional, standard, spin-off fuel filter in front of the new Racor. His thought being that the spin-offs are easier to change and will catch some of the gunk before clogging up the Racor. Just something to provide one more step in the filtration process. Any thoughts on this?

3) Yesterday I drained 150 gallons of 2-week old fuel from the tank. It looked terrible! Very dark and loaded with gunk. It was just as I've read on here many times. The drain plug was removed, but no fuel came out until we poked through all of the gunk that was clogging the drain. It's easy to see why I'm having issues...

4) Since my fuel gauge is inoperable, today I located and removed the sending unit. It seems locating the sending units can be tricky, so I have attached a photo of the location for future reference for anyone with an '85 FC SB.

I've also attached a photo of the sending unit. It's trashed! It has a hole in it, is full of fuel and clogged with gunk. I'll of course replace this with a new one.

With the sending unit removed I could see into the tank. Whoa! It's loaded with black goop. I'm going to flush the tank from the sending unit hole, and also from the fuel input. My plan is to flush out the majority of the goop in hopes of minimizing the likelihood of changing filters every 25-miles.

5) I have also rented a camera that will allow me to see into the tank before and after it's been flushed.

Here's hoping this gets my back on the road and not on the side of it.

Im sure others will join in. I would not add a filter in front of the Racor. The Racor will do what needs to be done and is easy to service once you know how.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-11-2014
Administrator

Ditto too many filter lead to more issues.
Good plan on the tank flush, fortunate that you have the place, pumps & the holding drums ?.
Old 06-11-2014

Thanks for filter input. And yes, I am very fortunate to have the facilities to work on such a rig. I work for a machine tool company and we've got about 50,000 square feet under roof. I've got acres of space and plenty of proper drums, pumps, air, etc.
"Uncaged"
Old 06-11-2014
RV Appraiser

Drop a couple more ten spots and buy a matching set, fuel gauge & sending unit. I did that a few months back and I believe I posted the NAPA part number on the forum. As you already know a mixed matched set will read wrong or may not work at all. Good luck, it's wasn't a fun job....

The only way I would put an extra filter in the system would be if I were to run additional plumbing up to where the filter would be located, do not put it in line with the current plumbing. I got talked into a new filter inline between the facet pump and the RACOR, it does work and does collect a lot of gunk. I can tell from the RACOR gauge when I need to look into changing filters, but every time I change the spin-on I take a diesel bath, that's no fun
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 06-19-2016

I'm curious as to how all of this turned out and how it's been running the last two years. I had similar fuel issues on my FC35. We replaced all of the rubber fuel lines (chunks of rubber came out when we blew air through), steam & bleach cleaned the fuel tank followed by lots of clean water and plenty of drying, and I also took apart the replacement facet pump (previously installed) because the filter screen was caked solid with gunk. For me, things are running good and I hope they stay that way!
Old 06-20-2016

Whew…it was quite a job! We removed the entire fuel tank. Torched a panel out of it and discovered what amounted to about a gallon of thick sludge in the bottom, along with some rust and rot. Took the tank to a local friend who owns a fabrication & welding shop and he installed a new bottom, new baffles, etc., and returned it looking like new. It was a big job but it has paid dividends.

We also cleaned out the Racor unit, which was loaded with sludge, we replaced or blew out all the lines up front, ran a fuel cleaner thru the lines that were buried under spray foam, etc. In short, tried to take all common sense measures to clean out the fuel system. And it has been incredible! It’s more responsive, more powerful, just runs so much better now that she’s getting a full volume of good, clean fuel.
"Uncaged"
Old 06-20-2016

Great update!

For those fighting a similar battle...consider this option for tank access. I installed a 6" plate (4" cutout) on my FC. Spot chosen on tank was on front/drivers side - been perhaps 6+ years...no leaks or issues. Ran the tank down to about E and parked with rear of bus "down" for the install. Access Port Source: http://www.seabuilt.com/plates.php

Also...check your Facet fuel pump. Mounted above/near the diff pumpkin housing. Make sure it's working and not clogged up.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Great update!

For those fighting a similar battle...consider this option for tank access. I installed a 6" plate (4" cutout) on my FC. Spot chosen on tank was on front/drivers side - been perhaps 6+ years...no leaks or issues. Ran the tank down to about E and parked with rear of bus "down" for the install. Access Port Source: http://www.seabuilt.com/plates.php

Also...check your Facet fuel pump. Mounted above/near the diff pumpkin housing. Make sure it's working and not clogged up.
Great idea on the access plate, could have used that info 3 weeks ago when the tank was empty! My facet pump was definitely part of my fuel delivery issue, but more or less a symptom of the crud in the tank. I also completely drained my Racor, it it was fine with no sludge or debris.
Old 06-20-2016

Fuel tank remediation party from the past. The dead rat corpse in the frame rail made it a special time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1168.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	43093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1169.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	43095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1187.jpg
Views:	132