Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2016

Default Adding a Jake or Electromagnetic Retarder

I'm considering a 1982 FC35

It is equipped with a Cat 3208 Turbo and an Allison 4 spd automatic transmission.

It's a beautiful coach and has had meticulous service and upgrades. But it Doesn't have any type of retarder. The small mountains and large hills around here demand (imho) something other than just the service brakes to descend safely.

My question is: Can a Jake system or an electromagnetic retarder be added to a coach that has never had one?

And if so, what factors need be considered?

Thanks to all who can help educate me on this...
Old 08-06-2016

That bus will be fine just the way it is, other than Mt.Eagle nothing to worry about, and that grade isn't an issue. All you need to remember is go down in the same gear you use to climb the grade and don't let the RPM go over 2800 on decent. Might want to review the CDL information on mountain driving, lots of good info there.
As far as retrofitting a drive line retarder, figure 11 grand installed, an exhaust brake is much cheaper but not real effective and doesn't do the exhaust valves any good.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-06-2016

I run an 80 FC 31 NA all over the mountains in Arizona with no secondary braking and have never had a problem. Like Mike says use lower gears and watch your RPM's. Do Not ride the brakes, hit them hard to bring RPM's and speed down then get off til you need to do it again.
I know Monteagle and it is an ant hill compared to stuff I drive on.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 08-06-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerTN View Post
I'm considering a 1982 FC35

It is equipped with a Cat 3208 Turbo and an Allison 4 spd automatic transmission.

It's a beautiful coach and has had meticulous service and upgrades. But it Doesn't have any type of retarder. The small mountains and large hills around here demand (imho) something other than just the service brakes to descend safely.

My question is: Can a Jake system or an electromagnetic retarder be added to a coach that has never had one?

And if so, what factors need be considered?

Thanks to all who can help educate me on this...
Just learn to drive safe & defensive, Putz may comment on finding a donor school bus, lots of heavy hardware to transfer.
Old 08-07-2016

Thanks for the input guys. Our last diesel coach had a Jake brake and I really loved it. But the two we had before that one didn't have one. If you guys say I don't need it then I'll trust your advice.
I am thankful to have this group and I appreciate so much the experience and knowledge that good folks are willing to share.
Old 08-07-2016
Chegment

Default Jake brake - not good on 3208

If you are talking about an exhaust Jake brake, the 3208 valves springs are supposed to be too weak. If it's electrical-hysteresis, system then the drive train setup is quite complex with many rotational torque issues. Been down the Williams escarpment with service brakes only and the speed recommendations are good advice.
Connecticut 06089
Old 08-08-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I ended up purchasing an old '82 school bus with a 3208na & retarder. I bought the bus for the parts then sold the shell for scrap. My total out of pocket was about a grand for a spare engine, tranny, and the retarder.

The Thelma retarders are fantastic! I never worry about mountains anymore. I've driven FC for over 30 years and with caution managed to avoid any real issues. But the retarder sure adds a level of comfort and now I can stay behind those other vehicles that have different down hill rates than my own.

That was my biggest issue is having enough traffic that you could not brake at your own rate. When someone is braking more than you (jake) then you heat up your brakes more than necessary to keep a safe distance.

There's a few things involved in the install (like drive shaft lengths, angles, etc..) but if your mechanically inclined I think it's pretty much straight forward. The hardest part was locating and drilling mounting holes in the bus frame. I used a motorcycle lift to get it into place.

Use the donor bus to set your angles, locate your mounting holes, and if the same length bus you may even have the drive shafts needed! Unfortunately mine was 33' donor for my 35' bus.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509