Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 03-18-2009
Gardner

Default 62 weeks and counting

I am 62 weeks from retirement and counting down. I am sticking cash in the 'bus account' so we can take off and go where ever we fancy in the Bird. Any rallys after June 2010 will be candidates for a visit. We do have a destination in Idaho we want to include, but from there on we will go where ever we think would be a good idea. We won't be full timing, but as much part timing as we can afford will be in the plan. Right now I am looking for a good place to overnight between Baltimore and Washington on our way to Maxton in April.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-18-2009

Ow ow ow ouch! Stop rubbing my nose in it I only have 1456 weeks to go, give or take
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 03-18-2009

Gardner- there is a nice rest area between Maryland exits 38 and 35 on I-95 as well as a few truck stops at Exit 41 between DC and Balto. You will need to depart before 6 AM though to avoid the pileup of cars hitting the 95/495 split at Calverton/Beltsville. Getting to the Cracker Barrel at Fredericksburg or the Flying J at exit 105 (Carmel Church) is much more stress-free if you can drive that late into the night.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-18-2009
Gardner

Shane,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hoping to leave Wednesday around 5:30 PM for Maxton. So by 9 or 9:30 I will be ready to park for the night. I figure that will be between Baltimore and Washington. I noticed that in Delaware they allow overnight in the rest areas, but it seems they don't really like it. The rest of the states don't allow it.

I want to get to Maxton on Thursday night in time to go to the Golden Corral and eat the last piece of Red Velvet Cake, before John has a chance to order.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-18-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Shane,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hoping to leave Wednesday around 5:30 PM for Maxton. So by 9 or 9:30 I will be ready to park for the night. I figure that will be between Baltimore and Washington. I noticed that in Delaware they allow overnight in the rest areas, but it seems they don't really like it. The rest of the states don't allow it.

I want to get to Maxton on Thursday night in time to go to the Golden Corral and eat the last piece of Red Velvet Cake, before John has a chance to order.
I think that Rob Robinson is already conspiring to get that done

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-18-2009
Gardner

Aaron,
I'd rather be 40 than 65, so don't be in such a big hurry to retire. It sounds like a great idea until you consider the down side. Once you are retired, the next step ain't so great.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-19-2009

october 9 for me approx 30 weeks give or take

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 03-19-2009

I remember a trip long ago and I was envious of the retiree camped next to me. He was traveling when and where he wanted to in his motorhome. It sounded great! Then he said to me don't wish your life away it will come sooner than you think. You know he was right. I retired last month after 37 years in the Air National Guard, and it seems like yesterday I was talking to him. However, I must say this retirement gig ain't bad. Just make sure you enjoy every stage of your life.

Just my $0.02.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-19-2009
Gardner

As far as a place to stop on the way to maxton, my wife discovered the Greenbelt national park campground near Washington. It is right off of 295. $16 a night with hot showers, etc. They have a dump station, but no hookups. Perfect for an overnight with no rush in the morning.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gree/pphtml/camping.html
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Aaron,
I'd rather be 40 than 65, so don't be in such a big hurry to retire. It sounds like a great idea until you consider the down side. Once you are retired, the next step ain't so great.
That is true. Retirement is really a great and wonderful thing to have and enjoy, BUT don't forget what comes as a by product to this wonderful life. Old (I mean elderly age, creaking joints, lots and lots of Doctoring, Pills, Drugstore visits, ) the list goes on. And the time flies by faster than ever. I swear I wake up Monday Mornings and when I go to bed, its Friday Night. Where did the week go in between???: confused:
Oh yea, the mind is now so full of information, experience and happenings, that it takes a looong time to retrieve any info. Like a computer with a huge hard drive, but a typical NOT SUPERFAST processor trying to retrieve the information. Where in the H... is the send button?