Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 06-25-2009
Geek

Default Western Canadian travel plans

We plan to head out on July 5th for a trip that will take us into Alberta and BC. While we've been into Victoria and Vancouver before, the farthest east we've been in Canada is Chilliwack. This is planned to take around 2 months, but no particular timetable. We start with a travel plan, but changes always occur once underway. With that said, I'm looking for the following sorts of info:

Have we chosen any roads unsuitable for a 40-foot widebody?
Are there other routings that would be recommended?
Specific things to see/avoid?
Difficulty finding RV park sites without reservations in July/August?
Any other comments welcome.

In the itinerary below I've broken it up into Previously traveled and Never traveled.

Previously traveled: East from Eureka on 299/44/395 to Reno; East on 80 to Rock Springs, WY (need to do some stuff in Salt Lake City).

Never traveled: North from Rock Springs on 191/28/789/138/26/20 to Thermopolis.

Previously traveled: North on 20/14 to Cody.

Never traveled: West on 14 into Yellowstone, north on 89 to Great Falls, north on I-15/PH4/PH23 to Calgary, north on PH2 to Edmonton, west on PH16 to Jasper, south on PH93 (toll road) to Lake Louise, west on PH1 to Sycamous, south on PH97A/97 through the Okanagan, south on US97 to Wenatchee.

Previously traveled: South to the Columbia, west to Portland, south to Eugene, west to Florence, south back to Eureka.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-25-2009

Don
I live right off of hwy 16 just west of Edmonton, I have it on your map. The highways you have selected are all major routes, (the routes mentioned in Canada) Hwy 2 Calgary to Edmonton 4 lane, Hwy 16 Edmonton to Jasper 4 lane, Hwy 93 Jasper to Lake Louise 2 lane 2 heavy grades, Hwy 1 Lake Louise to Sicamous 2 lane some 4 some grades.

Any info you require give me a shout, also have parking available in my yard 10 acres just west of Edmonton. going to have 2 other BB's here around the first of August would love another if that is your time line, let us know your time line and we can suggest sights and events.

John
Carvel AB Canada
Old 06-25-2009
Geek

Thanks, John, always enjoy meeting other Bird folks when we are out and about. Grades don't bother me - I've got 4 heavy ones on just the first 150 miles, one of which last summer had be down to 18mph in 1st gear to keep the engine cool (around 8% grade).

My main concern when I head out into unfamiliar territory off the US interstates is that I don't pick ones where a wide-body will be scraping the rails to pass, or running into weight or height restrictions.
Old 06-25-2009

"West on 14 into Yellowstone, north on 89 to Great Falls"

My year 2000 mountain directory of the west warns of hwy 14 just off of 90, again in Yellowstone, and north bound on 20 to get to 89 and 89 as well.

Example on 14/14A near 90 is Oh My God Hill, downgrades of 5-7% 18 miles, 10% 10 miles, then 8% 4 miles. States it is open range with livestock on roads possible.

I chose not to drive this route a couple of days ago. You should get the "Mountain Directory of the West" for your trip. Should be avail in larger truck stops and Amazon.com.

I re-looked and you will come onto 14 via 20/16, so miss oh my god hill that way. Still leaves: Sylvan Pass elev 8559, 5-6 % sharp curves, depending on rt inside yellowstone maybe Dunraven Pass elev 8859 narrow, rough winding, 6% 9 miles, some hairpins, Kingman Pass elev 7500 6% 4 miles, 25-35 mph curves w dropoffs some no guardrails, 7-8% 2 miles, 4-6% 2 miles, again book is yr 2000 so maybe changes on guardrails etc.

Last edited by AC7880; 06-26-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2009
Geek

I'm not having to cross the bighorns this trip, so 14 near 90 is not an issue. The one time I did cross (in an SOB in 2004) I chose to cross at Powder River on US16:

I'm not sure what parts of 20 and 89 they are talking about, but I suspect they may also be parts that won't be traveled. I haven't been through Yellowstone in many years, and it was in a car, so experience not applicable. Nonetheless you can certainly see big rigs at Fishing Bridge and they have to get there some way!
Old 06-26-2009

Hi Don,

If you are only reading the emails versus the website, I had edited the post sightly after I re-read your route.

I recommend every Bluebird owner and every RVer over 30,000 lbs have the Mountain Directory. I don't always follow the warnings, and in fact usually take the route anyway, but I do know what is coming up that way. I need a new one for the west as mine has copyright yr 2000, and eventually will need the eastern version when I head that way. I have been into Yellowstone from the north, and this time am coming in from the west. Never been in from the east.

Next will be Glacier NP - never been there, so I'll pre-look at the Mountain Directory for that before deciding on route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I'm not having to cross the bighorns this trip, so 14 near 90 is not an issue. The one time I did cross (in an SOB in 2004) I chose to cross at Powder River on US16:
I'm not sure what parts of 20 and 89 they are talking about, but I suspect they may also be parts that won't be traveled. I haven't been through Yellowstone in many years, and it was in a car, so experience not applicable. Nonetheless you can certainly see big rigs at Fishing Bridge and they have to get there some way!
Old 06-26-2009

Default Western Canadian travel plans

Don:

I do not see your itinerary.

I have the mountain directory, but it does not include Canada.

In BC, there are a lot of areas that the highway has 8% + grades, many sections could be up to 11% and I have seen as high as 22%.
However the major routes are all travelled by chip trucks etc (B trains)

For anyone travelling to BC, it is illegal to tow more than one item behind you.

If you are interested in what to look at in BC, other than the lower mainland, let me know and I could give you some pointers.
Old 06-26-2009
Forum Moderator

Whatever you do don't miss Glacier National Park. The US side of the park is particularily beautiful.
Old 06-26-2009
Geek

We have been to the US side of Glacier. Routing there is not an issue - US2 is the only way you are going to take a big RV through the park. The primary places you want to go to, such as the Going to the Sun Highway are not feasible/allowable for any large RV. All you have to choose is whether to stay on the west side or the east side. We crossed US2 from east to west, and stayed in Kalispell.

Vadie and Bill, our route pre-plan is in the first post of the this thread.
Old 06-26-2009

We drove many of the Canadian roads from Winnipeg to Vancover and from the border to Alaska, one spot outside Dawson Creek with a 12% grade, and never had a real problem. It's truly beautfil country and the Banf Lake Louise area is very special (a couple of great golf courses). We spent a couple of weeks in Kallispell and very much enjoyed the area. Glacier is also a special place and the Going-To-The-Sun Road is a must-do (in your toad).

Watch your speed and the grades, know your rigs capabilities and you shouldn't have a problems.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV