Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2020

Default Start Batteries in FC

I put new start batteries in my FC today and checked to see if things are working as designed. 5 years @go I installed a Cole Hersey solenoid powered by a Bosch relay. I found out today that I have to power my house batteries to power the ignition switch to power my Bosch relay to power the CH solenoid to start the coach. LOL. This means that I cannot use my start batteries unless the house batteriesare powering the ignition switch terminal located under the drivers seat. Should I have a hot line from start batteries powering the ignition switch or something else? Sketch attached.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	730D6B56-8586-425D-A45E-905D71A5782F.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	66328  

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 02-16-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Edit Title
Old 02-16-2020

House and engine banks connected @ starter w/key on battery combiner separating house from engine when not running. Works for me.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-16-2020

Okay, thanks Mike.
Old 02-16-2020
Administrator

Unless your 6 batteries were separated, the 87,88,89FC were delivered with all tied together. the passenger side batteries were an added option adding more capacity
Old 02-16-2020

Mine too are all tied together and it works well. If the batteries ever are low, I can start the generator first which I usually do anyway instead of making the alternator work hard to charge up 6 batteries. I opted for lighter 12V deep cycles since I don't need the amps nor do I have enough solar to charge them back up in one day (400W only). People separate the banks, but I don't see a real need for it. Original design works for me on most things and my schematics hold true.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 02-17-2020
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunzelj View Post
Mine too are all tied together and it works well. If the batteries ever are low, I can start the generator first which I usually do anyway instead of making the alternator work hard to charge up 6 batteries. I opted for lighter 12V deep cycles since I don't need the amps nor do I have enough solar to charge them back up in one day (400W only). People separate the banks, but I don't see a real need for it. Original design works for me on most things and my schematics hold true.
Too funny... you defend the poor design and say it works well then tell us how you deal with the poor design to protect the dead batteries and alternator.

Since I've separated my banks (many years ago, many buses ago) I've never had any issues and never needed to use my generator to charge batteries so I can leave. You state 400w won't charge your batteries in day and 400 watts can generator up 28 amps at 14v. How many amps do you charge your battery back with from your generator/charger and how long does that take? If really low could take more than 1/2 a day.

I don't call that a good design.. sorry...
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 02-17-2020
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I put new start batteries in my FC today and checked to see if things are working as designed. 5 years @go I installed a Cole Hersey solenoid powered by a Bosch relay. I found out today that I have to power my house batteries to power the ignition switch to power my Bosch relay to power the CH solenoid to start the coach. LOL. This means that I cannot use my start batteries unless the house batteriesare powering the ignition switch terminal located under the drivers seat. Should I have a hot line from start batteries powering the ignition switch or something else? Sketch attached.

Darryl
Darryl, here's what I did. (same concept Mike stated) I put in the solenoid you mentioned to avoid the voltage drop on a diode isolator. When starting all batteries are in the circuit. The starting batteries have a much higher voltage and much lower internal resistance so most the power will come from them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf __My '78 Charging Circuit.pdf (12.6 KB, 21 views)
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 02-17-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
I think this is how they are all (at least the "old" ones) wired up. Everything except powering the starter motor itself and maybe a couple of engine accessories actually comes from the house batteries. Separating the batteries is only a half-measure to save your butt as you now see, and is probably the only reason they were all just one bank from the factory. It would be possible to rewire the ignition switch to run directly from the start bank if you want. On the old Detroit coaches like mine there is a pushbutton starter switch in the engine compartment wired directly to the start bank and starter solenoid.

You should isolate the generator start battery so if the rest all die you can start the gen and charge up. A lot of times this will give you enough charging in a short time to get the big engine started and alternator charging so you can get going.
Old 02-17-2020

Has anyone tried supercapacitors for the starting circuit? I've got one that I would like to try.
Old 02-17-2020

Michael and Badandy, thank you for the help.

Mike, when I put my start batteries in in 2015 I installed with directions from you in this thread. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...t=21268&page=6

The generator is isolated with a diode and I did not change anything there.

Badandy, I think I will wire up a switch in the start battery compartment, just in case. It wouldn’t be any big deal to Hotwire it but I’ll forget what I need to do by the time I need to do it. Lol.

Darryl