Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2011

Default Air down in this Pic?

I am a complete dweeb....-) and I am searching and learning as fast as I can. I ran across this photo of a Bird for sale. I could not help but notice how far down on his tires the coach is. Also the clearance of the body looks mighty close to the ground.
So my question is, is this a result of the air being bled off? Is this how you want it to be when you are spread out in a spot to camp? Or am I seeing things? Does the air syspension have this much effect on the height of the coach off the ground? Thanks Ahead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1862_230603_1688568.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	8128

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlercap View Post
I am a complete dweeb....-) and I am searching and learning as fast as I can. I ran across this photo of a Bird for sale. I could not help but notice how far down on his tires the coach is. Also the clearance of the body looks mighty close to the ground.
So my question is, is this a result of the air being bled off? Is this how you want it to be when you are spread out in a spot to camp? Or am I seeing things? Does the air suspension have this much effect on the height of the coach off the ground? Thanks Ahead.

Attachment 8128
Looks like that BB has after market wheel well flares. That makes the coach appear to sit lower. The suspension looks to be deflated and in the park position. Looks good to me.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-11-2011

You answered my question. I am afraid I was not real clear. I did not know that birds lowered down into the park position. Like I said, I am very new at this. So is it any birds that have air bag suspension that will do this? Lower down to Park I mean. How big are the bags? I mean how much lift do you see when you go from Park to Run?

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 01-11-2011

Jack, My old BB lowers about 5 inches in the dump position. There are four air bags on each Axel. After parking for an evening I dump the air from the suspension. Even without the leveling jacks sit up the bus sits more stable (less movement) with the air bags deflated.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-11-2011
Sandwichs de Glace

Hi Jack,

Most Wanderlodges have air bag suspensions. When you start your bus, the compressor mounted on your engine will build pressure. You need to toggle 1 or 2 switches on the dash to close the valves on the suspension and the airbags will begin to fill, raising the bus. The stransmision shift from park to drive does not switch the lift automatically on.

And at the end of a trip, after you have parked your bus, you can deflate the air suspension by toggling the aforementioned one or two switches to "dump" your suspension.

The raising and lowering action is purely manual. As a matter of fact, you can accidentally dump your suspension while driving, with some very jarring results.

I mention two switches, because some of us with tag axles have a second switch that operates only it. The other switch takes care of the drive and steer axles. There are times when the tag needs deflated seperately from the rest of the suspension.

Hope this helps and welcome to the group!!!

MnM
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 01-11-2011

Jack, most air suspension systems will leak down over time, some faster than others…it’s hard to stop all the small air leaks that my be in the system. With that said, most owners will dump their air suspension when setting up at your destination. One of the benefits of doing this is a lower step from the coach to the ground. The air bags have rubber bump stops on the inside that the coach sits on when the air is dumped. As Rick mentioned, the coach is very stable when in this position…if the pad is fairly flat I won’t even bother with the leveling jacks…just dump the air and break out a cold beverage!

Here is a shot of my coach with the suspension dumped.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sept rv 018 (1024x768) (2).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	8129  
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Jack, most air suspension systems will leak down over time, some faster than others…it’s hard to stop all the small air leaks that my be in the system. With that said, most owners will dump their air suspension when setting up at your destination. One of the benefits of doing this is a lower step from the coach to the ground. The air bags have rubber bump stops on the inside that the coach sits on when the air is dumped. As Rick mentioned, the coach is very stable when in this position…if the pad is fairly flat I won’t even bother with the leveling jacks…just dump the air and break out a cold beverage!

Here is a shot of my coach with the suspension dumped.
Don't tempt Woody with that shot. (Looks Good)
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Don't tempt Woody with that shot. (Looks Good)
I am guilty of teasing Woody with photo’s of my coach…but this photo is for the good of the membership, no teasing implied or expressed
Old 01-11-2011

I have a 1980, first year with air suspension and do not have a suspension dump valve.
My front suspension will leak down overnight while the rear takes up to a week to leak down. I try not to park where the ground slopes toward the front of the coach.
Eventually I'll add a dump valve but it isn't high on the "to do" list.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 01-11-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Looks like that BB has after market wheel well flares. That makes the coach appear to sit lower. The suspension looks to be deflated and in the park position. Looks good to me.
Rick,

I believe that those were original on some year(s) and Randy's Burned 'Bird had them;

And the rear air bags were definitely deflated in this picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	8130  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11