Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2011

Default Cummins ISX15

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or Under the awning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0BJkDzgdU

Last edited by Jim Harvie; 02-18-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harvie View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs here, or Under the awning.
http://fleetowner.com/video/cummins-isx15-video-0318/#
Hi Jim,

The video was fascinating. Maybe you can explain the point of taking a small amount of exhaust, cooling it to 300 deg F, and injecting it into the intake?

What's new with the Paccar engine? What particular Paccar technology do you like? I know that over head cams aren't required, and the Paccar doesn't use them, but I have a soft spot for them.
Old 02-17-2011

David.
The cooler the exhust temps, when entering the air intake, the lower the NoX, which is one of the gasses the EPA wants reduced.
I'll write my essay on the Paccar MX. it may take a short while.
Old 02-18-2011

Ok.
For those who may not know, Caterpillar no longer makes a truck engine, at this time. 90 percent of Cat equipment is stationary. EGR engines run extremely hot and they'd need huge radiators to keep the engines cool in their stationary equipment. They were exploring a "Uritha" system (Urine injected into the exhust), but also paying huge fines because they werent meeting the EPA deadlines for on road trucks, so I guess they said the heck with it.
Peterbuilt and Kenworth trucks are built by Paccar, and they now make their own engine
The MX Paccar has a new feature called "Fracture Cap" technology which provides each connecting rod and main bearing cap with it's own unique mating surfaces that hold torque better.
They also improved the gear train at the back of the engine, and is much quieter.
They incorporated a "full floating oil pan" which elimates much of the drumming that amplifies engine noise.
The Block is made from Graphite iron, and so are the heads. The total weight for the 12.9 liter is only 2,640 lbs.
Like the ISX Cummins, it has a high pressure fuel injection system that fires in excess of 36,000 lbs. The advantage of high pressure is that it atomizes the fuel better to improve combustion across the full range of RPM.
The engine is governed @ 2200 RPM, but the usefull power band is more than 54 percent of maximum RPM, compared to 33 percent for typical class 8 trucks, because most engines peak torque is at 1,200 RPM and rated power is @ 1800 RPM. The MX torque peaks @ 1,100, with the higher power ratings providing more than 1,500 Lb. Ft torque at only 1,000 RPM.. So the net effect is a quiet and a forgiving low RPM engine that pulls smoothly from as low as 1,000 RPM.
The MX that's installed in the new 587 Peterbuilt (cool truck with front air suspension that dosen't wander and claims to be a 20 percent improvement in ride over tapered leaf springs), is 485 HP/1650 Lb-ft torque. They also make a smaller version that's 430 HP with 1,550/1,750 lb-ft, so at low speeds it's the torque that does the work.
Old 02-18-2011
Skidder

Default Engine

Jim:

This is great reading, and information. Thanks for the post.

Wannabee
Old 02-18-2011

David I also like overhead cams.
When Caterpillar first installed engines in trucks, they used the 1693 engine, which was basicly a bulldozer engine 425 HP. it incorporated overhead camshafts, and were extremly expensive to rebuild ($8,500 for the bare head), and it almost cost them the truck market because the NH Cummins had push rods, and you could get a rebuilt exchange engine at that time (1970's error) for around $4,500. Then Cat introduced the 3406A series which had pushrods, and they got the market back.
Camshafts will be replaced soon, using electro/hydraulic solenoids to operate the valves.
Old 02-18-2011

I like the new ISX's....actually I like the old ones too, but I hate the EGR stuff. I thought about installing one of the left over coachworks ISX600's into my Bus, but didnt want that expence right now. (there are lots of them around).

I was watching an ebay auction 2 weeks ago for a brand new, older model pre-EGR ISX600, still on the skid. It ended for $4000+. Thats a pretty good price. To buy a brand new coachworks left over ISX600, it will cost over $20K.

Instead, for $2k, I found someone who can reprogram my cat's computer and set it to 525HP, and remove the EGR from the computer. So I can remove the DPF exhaust, and remove the return pipe from the exhaust to the intake. This way my engine wont be ingesting it's own exhaust.
I am supposed to get more power, better milage, cooler running engine.... AND...a little black smoke here and there like a diesel engine is SUPPOSED to produce
Cummins ISX-650HP

Last edited by Morefire; 02-18-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2011

I probably would not broadcast tampering with a on road DPF engine on a public forum.
Ya never know these days. I am not saying, I am just saying.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker