Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2019

Default Hydro Hot leaking

Hydro Hot model 2002-E, manuf 10-99
Question 1: It has engine pre-heat. Does the Hydro Hot share the same antifreeze in its system with the diesel engine itself? Or are they on separate loops, not connected?
Reason I am asking, question 2: The HH works well but after a few days it gets low on antifreeze and I have to add about one cup and hit the reset button.
It is leaking, coming out from underneath the Hydro Hot metal box itself. None of the connections are visibly leaking.

I am concerned about the leak especially during driving, I do not want to ruin the engine, I only have "idiot lights" on the dash, no engine temp gauge (yet, it is on the wish list).
Is there a good Hydro Hot Service in Tennessee or Georgia?

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins
2002 Toyhauler 7.3 diesel
Old 02-14-2019
Forum owner

the engine coolant runs through a loop in the hydrahot tank,the coolants do not mix.
Or i should say they are not supposed to mix.

Aquahot and hydrahot were both made by the same company.
I don't know where they have a service center.
If its leaking out of the hydrahot,i doubt its engine coolant.
Is it the hydrahot your topping off,or the engine coolant?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-14-2019

Topping off the Hydro Hot. The overflow tank gets low after a couple days and shuts off the system. I am using 50/50 automotive antifreeze since it is an old system. It leaks antifreeze out from under the Hydro Hot, dripping out of the bay of the coach.

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins
2002 Toyhauler 7.3 diesel
Old 02-14-2019

Find the correct spec cap . Check the overflow tube to the tank. I use blue Kleenex to look for leaks after pressurizing to the cap pressure plus 2 to 3 psi. Caps holding more pressure then spec cause the heater to burn hotter trying to make higher temp. Make sure the overflow tank cap vent is clear. If that cap or overflows-overflow tube gets clogged, you can build great pressures in the system. I always wondered what a 7 psi cap would do. Heat transfer is a science of its own