Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Yep,Tims right,thats the way they work.
Ok great. Thanks Tim and Randy.
Old 03-06-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
With the help of a few intelligent individuals who know their way around auto electrical systems, we've determined that I had a short to ground in the power wire going to my license plate lighting circuit. The live ground wire from that circuit was grounded to the rear power panel in the engine compartment along with the other grounds coming from the four rear light fixtures as well as the grounds from the relays powering those lights. In effect, this took away all of the normal system operations of any equipment grounded to the rear power panel.

We have not yet discovered where the license plate power wire has shorted, but moving the live ground from that system to the rear frame members has restored all normal light functions in the rear of the coach. EXCEPT:

My lower, amber side running lights (two on each side) do not work with the running lights. They do work with the flasher functions. The upper marker lights work normally. On the lower amber running lights, we changed the two running light relays on the left forward power panel and the rear light relay in the same area. No help.

Does anyone know the power source and the location of the ground to these lower, amber running lights?

Thanks, David
David, I suspect the "live ground wire" was only "live" because the intended ground path for your rear lighting circuit is compromised. It sounds like all you've done by moving that wire to the frame is to bypass the compromised ground rather than finding and fixing it.

Depending on how much current the original ground path is designed to handle, (taillights, brake lights, toad lights, trailer lights, etc.) the wire you're using as a substitute may not be up to the task.

I would encourage you to put that wire back where it belongs and to continue searching for the actual ground path problem.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
David, I suspect the "live ground wire" was only "live" because the intended ground path for your rear lighting circuit is compromised. It sounds like all you've done by moving that wire to the frame is to bypass the compromised ground rather than finding and fixing it.

Depending on how much current the original ground path is designed to handle, (taillights, brake lights, toad lights, trailer lights, etc.) the wire you're using as a substitute may not be up to the task.

I would encourage you to put that wire back where it belongs and to continue searching for the actual ground path problem.
That's about what we did John. You're right. We thought we had the license plate circuit cleaned up without being real sure we'd found the short, but when we touched to ground wire back to the grounding bolt on the rear power panel, all the funny stuff with the rear lights started happening again. When we removed it, everything went back to normal. So, we attached the ground to the frame where the back up lights are grounded and everything works normal including the license plate lights. That was at quitting time yesterday afternoon. Will continue to look for the problem on the plate circuit today. I agree we shouldn't live with a short somewhere. It will sooner or later bite me. Likely sooner. Thanks for your advice.

Dave
Old 03-06-2019
ANOTHER REDNECK

its always the Grounds Says WOG!!!

never enuf

under engineering with that circuit on all old Machines
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 03-06-2019

Talking The grounds 'll getcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoody View Post
its always the Grounds Says WOG!!!

never enuf

under engineering with that circuit on all old Machines
Knock it off Woody. You got me dreaming about bad grounds! I was contemplating paying for you a plane ticket and lodging to come up here and lay your hands on my ride.

I ask the owner of the RV body shop that's been helping me trace my lighting problems if he knows anyone in Arkansas known to be a really good automotive electrical troubleshooter. He started shaking his head before I even finished the sentence. That's where our country is heading. All of the good tradesmen skills are disappearing. No business owners are finding good mechanics, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc to hire anymore. Airlines can't find pilots anymore. We're short on nurses. The military can't recruit enough good youngsters who can pass the physical and the basic tests to get a security clearance anymore. The Army was short 6,500 of their recruiting goal in January. It's a crises my friend and there's no immediate end to it in sight. It's going to get a lot worse.

Sadly,

Dave
Old 03-06-2019
Forum owner

Tim Gunter is in Arkansas,he can fix your coach.
He grew up working on birds.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Tim Gunter is in Arkansas,he can fix your coach.
He grew up working on birds.
How do I find him Randy?
Old 03-06-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
How do I find him Randy?
He has his own forum here on WOG.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...play.php?f=128

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.