Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-29-2012

Fleet Pride hooked me up thanks
Old 06-29-2012
Chegment

Default Air bag

Hope you have good luck.

I looked through the Firestone air bag catalog a few years back and noted that the size of the air bags seem to matter more than the exact replacement number. If you are in a pinch just get a similar sized bag and have it installed. The suspension of the FC is fairly forgiving and the automatic height valve devices will compensate for variations in bag performance.

BTW: I made a conversion to a manual air system years ago, and with experience I've found that the air pressure of the bags, thus relative size, can be all over the place and yet give satisfactory performance on the highway. Especially the rear bags. Only when the pressure gets way too low will a bottoming out situation remind me that I goofed. (happened once on the front while figuring out how to operate the system) So go for bigger if it will fit into place.

My rears usually run at 35-40psig, while the fronts are at 60-65psig. Your original auto system interprets that into front and back body heights. So a bigger bag will result in less air pressure for a given height.

Of course exact part replacement is the best course to take.
Connecticut 06089
Old 06-29-2012

Other bags may have a different air inlet position but posses the proper dimensions, you need a good parts guy to look it up.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-18-2012

Purchased all the replacement bags and had them installed. Shouldn't have to worry about a blown bag for another 30 years.
Old 07-18-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
Purchased all the replacement bags and had them installed. Shouldn't have to worry about a blown bag for another 30 years.
Did you determine if the original failure was just old age or could it have been an exhaust leak or other external force on the bag like a bent bracket, etc.?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-19-2012

Just age,there was nothing close to the one bag that blew last year. It cost so much to have it changed by a mobile repair truck, that when we came home had them all inspected and they were all showing signs of cracking from age. I decided to have all the rest of them replaced so I would not run into that again. For what they charged me to do it roadside, it would have paid for 2/3 of the bill to do all of them in the shop. Now I don't have to worry about it.
Old 07-19-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
I decided to have all the rest of them replaced so I would not run into that again.
Good move. I replaced the fronts myself a few years back and paid Bleakley to replace the rears. The rear bags are a good example of there are some things that aren't worth doing yourself. That is unless you have a really good place to do it (better yet, a pit)....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA