Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
<snip>.... and most importantly I’ve owned a British car before (a Triumph Spitfire). Loved that car too but there was a reason it had a liftable bonnet instead of a hood 4) For two people the Fiat provides an amazing amount of interior and head room. I’m 6-1 but have lots of headroom and can literally stretch out when driving. Push the front seats all the way back and it’s cabin seems spacious, and those two doors are bigger than most full sized car doors. <snipped>

Morris Minor was the marque for me--had the wagon with the genuine ash trim. Practically the same motor as a Spitfire. Mine had a hand crank for emergencies

I'm looking at all of the towables mentioned in this discussion. I've been full-timing since January without a toad and lemme just say the time for rental cars is past. In town, renting is OK, just call Uber and go to the rental depot. Getta Jetta for a week, log 1500 miles, pay the equivalent of a jeep monthly payment and hand back the keys when you're done.

I test drove a new Abarth last week and here's the word: Howl. The exhaust note has some bark but the car itself seems howlingly fast. 160 HP turbocharged 1.4L. It is also a very inspired city car that can make a complete U-turn in a two-lane street. 40 mpg. The price is up up up since you bought yours, but then the base 500 Pop is turbocharged now. The base Pop price out the door was over 15k.

What I was really impressed with is the door. The engineers did something very right with it. Open it, it stays open. Get in, sit down, grab the door without leaning out of the car. It has room to comfortably swing my legs in and out like no modern small car I've driven.

I'm also stuck on Jeeps. The used price tags seem to be based on miles driven, so reaching back 10 or more years, a used Rubithon can still easily cost more than a new Pop.

Considering its fuel-sipping ways, it seems like cost-of-ownership is the sticky wicket. Does Jeep resale value make up for using twice as much fuel to go the same distance?

Tough calls require real data. And then there's that accounting for the intangibles like how you feel about it. This is a really tough choice! I wish I had Heckman's knack for knowing what he likes!

Thanks for enthusiastically bringing the Fiat 500 into the circle of toads, it keeps bumping Jeeps off my top spot. If it likes straight-line driving for distance on the interstate slabs, it's a winner in my book.
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:22 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
...I test drove a new Abarth last week and here's the word: Howl. The exhaust note has some bark but the car itself seems howlingly fast. 160 HP turbocharged 1.4L. It is also a very inspired city car that can make a complete U-turn in a two-lane street. 40 mpg. The price is up up up since you bought yours, but then the base 500 Pop is turbocharged now. The base Pop price out the door was over 15k...

What I was really impressed with is the door. The engineers did something very right with it. Open it, it stays open. Get in, sit down, grab the door without leaning out of the car. It has room to comfortably swing my legs in and out like no modern small car I've driven...

If it likes straight-line driving for distance on the interstate slabs, it's a winner in my book.
John can tell you about the Abarth pocket rocket. Our non-turbo has sufficient power to go 75 mph (and a little more ). Just completed a couple RT’s between Flagstaff AZ & Las Vegas NV (6,900’/2,000’) as well as Flagstaff & Laughlin (6,900’/600’) where on all but the steepest grades, I was able to maintain the full posted speed limit. A turbo would’ve eliminated the slowdowns for those very steepest grades. Having a manual transmission helps. The ride at 75-80 mph isn’t the smoothest or quietest, which is to be expected from a car this small and close to the ground. But in my book that’s acceptable for my rare “interstate slab driving”.

Lastly, I just checked a local Phoenix dealer for their internet price. As of Sept 2nd, their lowest posted price for a MT Pop was $13,747 with a Financing Incentive (that you can pay off early). To that you’d need only add the appropriate towing hitch base plate. I like some of the upgrades they have added like the turbo and rear view camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E6644E4-2F8F-4B74-AD5B-D241A3EC7370.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	63843  
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I've been struggling also. At times I love my Jeep tj...easy to tow, fun to drive,easy to park.. but I hate the 4 banger and it's really a 2 seater! I've been searching for 01 cherokee xj....but they are either wore out or partly wore out and outrageously priced. I've looked at a couple of newer 4 door jeeps, but I'm just not sold on them yet. My sister has had a fiat for years and loves it....IDK..my jeep sure is easy
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Ned - try a 6 speed Mini Cooper S - great toad.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
John can tell you about the Abarth pocket rocket. Our non-turbo has sufficient power to go 75 mph (and a little more ). Just completed a couple RT’s between Flagstaff AZ & Las Vegas NV (6,900’/2,000’) as well as Flagstaff & Laughlin (6,900’/600’) where on all but the steepest grades, I was able to maintain the full posted speed limit. A turbo would’ve eliminated the slowdowns for those very steepest grades. Having a manual transmission helps. The ride at 75-80 mph isn’t the smoothest or quietest, which is to be expected from a car this small and close to the ground. But in my book that’s acceptable for my rare “interstate slab driving”.

Lastly, I just checked a local Phoenix dealer for their internet price. As of Sept 2nd, their lowest posted price for a MT Pop was $13,747 with a Financing Incentive (that you can pay off early). To that you’d need only add the appropriate towing hitch base plate. I like some of the upgrades they have added like the turbo and rear view camera.
Thanks for doing that legwork on Bill Luke, i was focused on Albuqueque. I went to see the dealership there and it was devoid of Fiats. Seems they had moved

I called Bill Luke — They’re sending me email papers to put a deposit on it
Full-time in 2019