Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2012

Default Air Brake Pressure Gauges/Maintenance

The dual gauges on the dash board are not filling up at the same rate and I've noticed that the compressor has to kick in after short stops.

The air line blew off the right gauge last winter, but I reinstalled it and has remained in place. However, there's now some oily residue around the air inline on the right gauge.

Any general advice on basic air brake maintenance for this old bird is appreciated.

Thanks!
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-06-2012

Good question John! I look forward to the answer...I will keep watching!
Old 08-06-2012
Administrator

Purge air from the air tanks and look for oil, oil in the air line is not good.
If oil is present in the air tanks, the dryer needs service and / or the compressor is failing,
with the short cycle again the compressor could be failing or there is a leak that should be loud enough to hear.

your 78 may not have an air dryer, all the more need to drain the air tanks often.
the gages should move about the same , or there may be an air brake leak.
Old 08-06-2012

Default oily water from two of three tanks

There's three tanks underneath.

The curbside tank did not have a shutoff valve but what appears to be a valve stem. I pushed on it and nothing came out. I turned the valve on the driver's side tank and it blew out a brown, oily goo and drained only for 15 seconds or so.

I then turned the valve on the rear tank and blew steady for a couple of minutes. It appeared clearer, but when I put my hand into the stream it soon was cover with an oily residue.

I embarrassed to say, I didn't know this was supposed to be done daily.

Analysis always welcome!

Thanks
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-06-2012
Administrator

All three tanks should have a valve on the bottom, if there is a plug be really carefull there is a lot of air pressure in the tank.
Try to air up the pressure and drain again until the air is clear of fluids.
If the tanks are full of fluids this could also explain the short cycling.
Old 08-06-2012

Hi Bill, I refilled the tanks and this time the buzzer kicked off around 60 to 65, rather than going up to 90. I then turned off the vehicle. Air was coming out of the curbside tank through the stem valve mounted on the bottom of the tank. I then drained the other two tanks and they were much clearer. I'm doing a second round now. I don't see how to automatically drain the curbside tank. It seems to blow out on its own. Is that OK?
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-06-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayhound View Post
Hi Bill, I refilled the tanks and this time the buzzer kicked off around 60 to 65, rather than going up to 90. I then turned off the vehicle. Air was coming out of the curbside tank through the stem valve mounted on the bottom of the tank. I then drained the other two tanks and they were much clearer. I'm doing a second round now. I don't see how to automatically drain the curbside tank. It seems to blow out on its own. Is that OK?
Sounds like spitter valve leaking on main tank. Do search on this site for rebuild kit info. Very easy to do.....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 08-06-2012

Default spitter valve

Okay, that appears to be what's going on. After four rounds of filling and draining the air tanks, they are blowing much cleaner. I'll continue to do this four or five times a day for a couple of days. Sorry to say I hadn't done this in two years. Now for the spitter valve...thanks
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-06-2012
Administrator

Good job John,

Drain all air or use the brake pedal to deplete air pressure, work on the spitter valve, there should also be a schreader valve (standard tire air valve) on the tank to hook up a shop compressor this will clear the first tank. the spitter valve may need replaced.
Old 08-06-2012

Default spitter valve rebuild

Bill, thanks for you help. I'm not sure how the spitter valve should be functioning to determine if it needs to be replaced. It automatically purges after stopping the bus and it blows for about a minute. Sometimes there's a bit of goo stuff left on the road. Otherwise, that's it. It looks easy enough to remove. Once that's done, what's the process to rebuild, clean or is it better just to replace?
Phoenix, AZ