Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-29-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
go to airflowonline and they should have the flange that clamps onto the turbo.
they have all kinds of other stuff too,muffs,chrome etc..
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Database and Downloads > Links > Air Flow Systems Inc

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Kurt,

When I had mine replaced 5 years ago, replaced the proprietary stuff with stainless flex and it's been fine ever since.
Paul,

Where did you get the SS Flex?
How much of the system did you replace?
From Turbo to Muffler??

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 09-29-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

Kurt,

I just went out to check and it is flex from the u-pipe to muffler replacing the angled pipe. It looks like there is enough room to replace it all with flex from muffler to turbo, and you could route it much more direct.

While checking it, I looked up the stack and of course my muffler is horribly rusty again, not looking like it's going to last too long again. If I replace the muffler, it will be with SS straight pipe. The muffler clamps used are SS, but the bolts are steel, and so rusted, it will be great fun getting it off.

Also, the u pipe looks really rusty again as well. Had that made when having exhaust work done. That's where the pyrometer is located, which would make a problem if you go all flex, but greater minds can probably figure a way to have just a short piece of SS with the pyrometer nut welded into it.

To make sure I'm seeing you pix right, the broken pipe is the backside of the turbo, towards the front of BB, the one with the pyrometer?

If so, that is the real culprit in the fires in BBs of the mid 90s and the additional cause of heat in the bedroom.

I have to have my valves adjusted soon, while the access hatch is out of the floor, I'll recheck that pipe again, especially since I had to replace all that stuff when the coach was 6 years old, and now it 5 years from that time. BUT, using the engine prolongs the exhaust system, and in the first 6 years the coach only went 30K miles. I've put 70K miles on in the past 5 years, so exhaust doesn't have as much time for water/condensation to do it's thing.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 09-29-2008
Forum owner

i have 6'' stainless flex in stock.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-29-2008

OK everyone talks about an access hatch in the floor. I'm clueless. Any ideas on how to find it, and where it may be located in a side bed PT42 bedroom. My layout has two drawers on top of the doghouse on each side, there is nothing on top of the middle section, carpeted, that leads into the closet. If that's the case look at the drawing below and give me some feedback
Thanks Randy, but I ordered all the pieces from BB this afternoon. I will most likely get them treated, (type treatment still undetermined going for corrosion resistance more than thermal control), before installing them in the coach. The new muffler showed up this afternoon. Still undecided as to use it, or go straight pipe.
I will have to inspect the insulation above the turbo. I doesn't look bad, but it has had a good workout with the exhaust blowing up on it.
Anyway an access hatch is in order. I'm sure it would make working on the pipes a lot easier. If I don't have one I will soon.
Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
10AC
Old 09-30-2008
pgchd

Kurt,
The 95's engine is mounted differently then the 97's, hence no "hatch"....at least not in mine with a side bed. Each one of these are custom and I have a very early 95 if not the very first.......I have a rear "doghouse" similar to yours....... don't remember the year but sometime around Paul's year they "lowered" the engine and made a "walk in closet".........hence a hatch........mine does nothave that kind of closet and you can get to the valve adjustment as is.....there is plenty of room...... failed to mention that the ENTIRE exhaust system I got from BB is stainless including the muffler. Probably the reason for the cost verses other generally available stuff.....good luck.........heads up.....fan motor will be next 1300 bucks and BB has plenty in stock
Old 09-30-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

Kurt & Pete,

There is an access hatch in the 95-96 BBs. Not exactly sure where, but I know it is around the dresser or you have to remove some drawers I believe.

On mine, which is in the closet as Pete said, never had the carpet cut to get to the hatch, I had to do it, and I have had it out before. Because I knew it was there, I was able to get to it, but without the carpet cut, it was invisible. I suspect your carpet is making the hatch invisible too.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 09-30-2008
Forum owner

i have the center bed,or island bed,not a crossbed.
i was wondering if theres a hatch,i have not searched to hard yet for it.
its a 95 42' with S60 engine

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-30-2008
pgchd

Nope, no hatch in my 95. Paul, you and I have been through this before..........with the water tanks........I've pulled the carpets in the closet and the insulation in the engine compartment searching for a hatch 3 years ago...........no hatch......now, as I said, this is an "early bird, built in 94 to debut BB"s first instance of the s60 and 42' ", I know the OO and spoke with him he bought it at the show.....one of the very firsts 42's off the line.......... that's why the manuals don't line up, tank plugs are not there where they should be, etc......... I can't speak for Randys, Kurt's or other birds and what BB decided to do AFTER my build.......but no hatch in mine.
Kurt, just some background on the install FWIW....all work done without a hatch, meaning the mechanics took the muffler out the top and everything else out the bottom from the turbo back..........install the opposite, everything from the rear of coach and slipped the muffler in from the top, removed the roof "sreening" for lack of a better term around the muffler......2 guys who worked on birds before, less than 3 hours total. When I asked if they needed a "skinny midget" to do the work from the engine rear, they laughed,smiled, and said no, not bad to do, get it all lined up before you "snug it down" so the slant pipe doesn't lay against the radiator hose, muffler was heavy hence in the top, removed the rubber hose and clamps for the charge cooler, that was it...they were road testing the bird and I saw it go by in 3 1/2 hours.....also changed the pyro sensor..... these boys were of medium build and height if you get my drift......good luck.............
Old 09-30-2008

Unhappy

I called Jessie @ BB Tech Service. There is supposed to be access between the bed and the dog house. I took a good look at it today and the one thing in my coach the is holding up well is the bedroom carpet. I won’t pull it up. It’s not worth it. Besides my coach is also an early 95 and if Pete has already searched and didn’t find it I’ll go with that. The exhaust parts that were in stock yesterday are not in stock today. I’ll just have to wait. I did spend several hours and talked to a few different shops about putting something together. The prices are out of sight. BB also said the parts were NOT stainless, I did call back and requested that if they were special ordered and I have to wait for the jobber to make them, Why not make them in Stainless? I haven’t heard back from Ryan in parts yet. I would rather have SS than have to get this stuff corrosion treated. Also I don’t want to mess with this again in 5 or 7 years because the metal used isn’t up to the task.