Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Exclamation Aqua Hot Control Board Check

I have a 2000 LXI with an Aqua-Hot. The burner would fire intermittently but then not at all. After a few diagnostics I realized that a sharp tap on the control board would make the burner fire up. The burner cycle starts with the fan which was not starting up so other functions just timed out. After replacing all the capacitors (after all the unit is nearing 20 years old) I still had the same outcome. Burner blower does not come on but the igniter starts clicking. Hmmh... I used some reverse engineering and a volt meter and realized the main power bus across the relays was not making it to the blower motor.

Bottom line was that the relay controlling the bower motor was not getting power. After tracing some leads I realized that the big honking relay connection points were subject to cold solder joints. They coated the back side of this board with lacquer so a dental pick, q-tips and denatured alcohol helps in the clean up.

After replacing all the likely culprits - the capacitors, what was left is not a typical failure point (diodes, resistors and transistors). After major head scratching I found that not all of the relays are soldered to the circuit board securely. The relays are big pieces of copper that take a time to warm up when soldering, I found 2 cold solder joins that were covered up by the lacquer coating. After a dental pick and some testing I resoldered the joints. Now after hours of running and cycling on and off I believe I have found the problem.

Save yourself the rebuild or cost of a new controller and try checking solder joints first. Saved me $450.00 for a new board.

PM or email me if I can help you.

I am not a Aqua-Hot dealer or service center but know a little about electronics and circuits. Good karma to pass along simple but elusive solutions to others.

Last edited by cgremill; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:21 AM. Reason: clean up typos
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Chip,

Thank you for the information. We also have a test jig to exercise all of the functions, safely of course with the burner removed from the chamber. I purchased mine from Mallie Lennon, a forum member.