Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default 1976 wanderlodge,helpneeded.

Last week bought a 1976 wanderlodge in Payson AZ. Leaving town going up HY 260, bus started spraying fluid from right side of engine compartment, smoke started billowing, I think from fluid hitting hot engine. Oil pressure stayed up & temperture stayed in normal range. Had bus towed back to Payson, but have not found any mechanic to look at it to see if steering pressure hoses gave way. I have bus parked at mobile home site in Payson. MY son in law in Tallahassee(diesel Mechanic suggested trying to get someone to look at it. He asked me to send him pictures & if possible manual on power steering. Iam open to any suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks
Old 2 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Fan View Post
Last week bought a 1976 wanderlodge in Payson AZ. Leaving town going up HY 260, bus started spraying fluid from right side of engine compartment, smoke started billowing, I think from fluid hitting hot engine. Oil pressure stayed up & temperture stayed in normal range. Had bus towed back to Payson, but have not found any mechanic to look at it to see if steering pressure hoses gave way. I have bus parked at mobile home site in Payson. MY son in law in Tallahassee(diesel Mechanic suggested trying to get someone to look at it. He asked me to send him pictures & if possible manual on power steering. Iam open to any suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks
Hello James,

Sorry for the delay... you posted in a moderated area so your post wasn't visible until I saw it and moved it here.

Anyway, if you log in and scroll down the Home Page and click on “Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE” you should be able to follow the path to the manuals area. There's a file there called "1978 Wanderlodge WLFC Maintenance Manual and Parts Catalog.pdf". I know it's not your model year but it has some power steering drawings that probably apply. See pdf pages 120 thru 129.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 2 Weeks Ago

You said right side of engine compartment.

On my '83 all of the power steering is on the left side. Find the power steering reservoir, there is a dipstick screwed into it, are you missing fluid?

Check the radiator - are you missing antifreeze? Check the engine oil dipstick.

I am assuming the fluid is like power steering fluid, not antifreeze or engine oil. On my FC the transmission cooling lines are to the right side, down low under the engine. Could that be your problem?

The fuel lines run up the right side too, but you said the engine ran OK so I doubt that it was fuel.

Pictures help.

ps. on my FC the power steering uses ATF not special power steering oil.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Head gasket?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gardner

There is also an oil line from the top of the block to the lower rear of the compressor to feed the compressor bearings. Probably would loose a bit of oil pressure if it failed, but worth a look.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Fan View Post
I would check all my fluids and start back up and and take a look.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

My 77FC had a Ford style power steering pump that had a modified case to accept extra fluid from a remote reservoir located on top of motor drivers side.
This case was wet and the pump floated inside the case. The case was always leaking because it had a large 'O' Ring that never sealed well. The O ring failed once and fluid went everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BustaBus_PowerSteering_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	62439   Click image for larger version

Name:	BustaBus_PowerSteering_2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	62440  
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold